Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Zodiac:
United States of America

Trading Post Idea

Post by Wrestling Nut »

Hey guys. I have an idea that I wanted to run by all of you. I am fully aware that we have an advertise section and so many of us buy and sell cans frequently. Every now and then I see someone attempting to trade some cans. This brings me to my idea. We used to have our own selling site. What if we had our own trading site? Or perhaps an area on here meant just for trading. A 'trading post' so to speak. People could post pictures of cans, give some details, say what they usually collect, and give an idea of what they value their cans at. The last point is important. I feel that knowing ahead of time what a guy is seeking in return value may be the key to trading. When I see cans for trade, often I don't know the approximate value they are seeking and don't want to insult them with a ridiculous offer. Posting an approximate value along with your collecting area of interest might make the process easier. One of the biggest positives I see is eliminating the EBay and PayPal fees. Also, I have cans on my shelf that I don't want to sell because I value the can more than the money. However, I might let go for the right can in return.

Negatives: The guys who keep this site running do a great job and probably don't need more work. This may be more than anyone is willing to take on and that would be completely understandable. Next, it might hurt our online shows since many people use them to move extra stock. With a consistent source to move cans, the need for online shows might not be the same.

This is just an idea that I've had for a while and wanted to finally post it. Thanks for considering it.

Thoughts???..........

Brad

A true friend will lie for you but not to you.
jeffHurley
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Trading Post Idea

Post by jeffHurley »

Sounds interesting. I have no clue of value anyways, so trading is always good
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

Brad......I think the idea should be given a chance and if it doesn't work out we can at least say we tried.....the thing that will make it best function is that as cans are moved that just like the advertisement section that threads are properly archived. That usually is handled by the forum moderators but we don't catch everything. It would be on the posters to notify the forum moderators to archive the thread. If it just builds up and fellow members are only let down when they see something that interest them only to find out it was traded two months ago it will cause many to just want to stay away.
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

Excellent point. I guess I figured each member would remove cans from their list or photos as they were traded. Not sure exactly how it would all work. Posts would absolutely need updating though. Otherwise it will be nothing but frustrating and ultimately fail.
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Post by Beercanpete »

I really like this idea myself--old fashioned horse trading is so much fun! I was going to make a post of some micros I'd like to trade, so I can get the ball rolling if we need someone to do that. 100% agree though, I don't want to do this if it gives our poor moderators more to do ...
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

Pete and Brad.......I've queried the Forum Moderators and other Officers on this issue...give us a little to discuss the idea further.....
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

No problem keithker. Take all the time you want. It was just an idea I thought I'd share to see if there was any interest.
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Wrestling Nut wrote: Negatives: The guys who keep this site running do a great job and probably don't need more work. This may be more than anyone is willing to take on and that would be completely understandable. Next, it might hurt our online shows since many people use them to move extra stock. With a consistent source to move cans, the need for online shows might not be the same.
Brad
We like work, but we also spread the wealth, so when we start the new site, you will be the Moderator. Just ask Kam2, Romine, Rand, Wheaton, Randy K, Scott, Beverly, Beamer, Rollert and aussieguinessman. We snookered all these folks into being mods too!!!
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
aussieguinnessman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 898
BCCA Number: 30861
eBay name: oncall1594
Year Started Collecting: 1981
Australia

Post by aussieguinnessman »

idigrust wrote:We like work, but we also spread the wealth, so when we start the new site, you will be the Moderator. Just ask Kam2, Romine, Rand, Wheaton, Randy K, Scott, Beverly, Beamer, Rollert and aussieguinessman. We snookered all these folks into being mods too!!!
Thanks Danny, still waiting for the first paycheck to arrive............. :smt017
Looking for any Guinness Items and any Continental Can Company items
Will be at 2024 BCCA CANvention in Little Rock.
RB #898
BCCA #30861
Echuca, Australia
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Trading Post”