Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

SPRING THAW TAKE

Post by RustyGoats »

Ok everyone, there was ALOT of ya's there. and we all had a good time, and evrytime i passed or talked to someone they had a different can in their hand. so come on your all revived and unfortunatly back to normal, so lets see them pics here now.

i didnt pick up too much, but heres some of my take.

mettalic tudor for my tudor collection, and a london bobby for my side white crowntainer collection.
tudor.jpg

yellow schaefer cream ale and dull grey neuweiler for my dumpers or dumped it shelf.
schaefer.jpg

2 ortliebs from Menke, I thought Mat had these generously priced and I thank you Matt. One thing disapointing was they were wd-40'd or something and these cans woulda cleaned up awesome in a acid bath, but since they had oil on them first, cant be soaked now. still were decent cans for the price.
ortliebs.jpg
and lastly picked up about 30 new caps for my collection, mostly upgrades, but here is a couple of the new ones. All new stuff thanks to Menke, Candog, Neil K, and Conehead. Thanks Jim for being a faithful friend and always being a standup guy. I will dump you a cool cone on the house this year.
caps.jpg

Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: SPRING THAW TAKE

Post by Dixie Dave »

The Ortlieb's can't be cleaned in acid? I bought one of the $5 quarts from Menke and everyone who saw it that night was going on like that can would really clean up nice with some acid. Was looking forward to trying one weekend soon when it's not raining before it gets too hot. Even if it doesn't clean up, it's in really nice shape for the price, and I'm quite happy to have my first displayable quart can for my collection.

Really like that London Bobby in the first picture. That's a very attractive can.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Chris E.
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 151
BCCA Number: 26223
eBay name: moquarts18
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Chris E. »

Looking at the one picked up I don't see any reason it won't clean up in an acid bath. I am or was under the impression these cans are as they were when they came out of a barn except for a little soap and water.

Chris E.
RustyGoats
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by RustyGoats »

when we were looking at them they had a smell like it and the the rims seemed a little oily. smell your can and see. maybe they werent all. like i said, i agree, i was looking forward to a quick soak too, but the acid wont fight thru the oil . and i agree and also said, for the money i cant complain and i thank Matt for the chance to have one affordable. give em a try.
Chris E.
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 151
BCCA Number: 26223
eBay name: moquarts18
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Chris E. »

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to soak them in some strong grease cutting detergent before putting them in acid.

Chris E.
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

What Chris just said. Hot water and dish soap will probably work.

mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
RustyGoats
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by RustyGoats »

i tried dawn first, cause dawn is usually a good grease cutter, (soaked it overnight) but it worked alittle but still the oil penetrated deep. plus they say not to really used soap n water before an acid bath just water, so dont know if that does anything also. supposedly soap counter reacts to acid somehow. im no expert, just all by trial n error. but let me know if your can cleans up ok or not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Spring/Thaw 2016”