Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 552
BCCA Number: 33293
Zodiac:
Switzerland

Re: What could we do better for next years Spring Thaw

Post by ANGRY GARY »

jeff and i decided last year that another trip to the lebo estate would be too much too soon. so the picnic idea was born. however from inception to reality it took a wicked left turn into stupidville! know beeter now. and i never saw the mini golf course last year! but the possibilities there are endless! midnight tourneys, tag team speed golf, etc.etc! of course the hotel cost of $5 per person to play is out of line. maybe a flat rate for a couple hours. there isnt much of a demand for golf in the snow season except for the rusty bunch! brain storming right now.

AG

I have had the great privilege of dumping with 68 current and former Rusty Bunch members, to date. Got to hit the woods of Virginia with Charlie Smigo recently.
boom238
Zip Top
Zip Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
United States of America

Post by boom238 »

My thoughts on the Spring Thaw.It was my first one and had a great time.Loved the band. Didn't enjoy the BBQ could of been better. The RB hospitality room was awesome and a big THANK YOU to everyone who put it together and helped run it.How about a kickball/mini golf tournament?
backbar
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 854
BCCA Number: 26830
eBay name: backbar
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:

Post by backbar »

A big canopy in the parking lot with the two hospitality room combined under it would be great. Include table, chairs and general hang out area.
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Invite Ray and LisA !!! :smt011 :smt012 :smt013 :smt016 :smt005 :smt030 :smt028 :smt029 :smt064
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
beercanman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 327
BCCA Number: 24599
eBay name: www.beercanman.com
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beercanman »

Invite Ray and LisA !!! :smt011 :smt012 :smt013 :smt016 :smt005 :smt030 :smt028 :smt029 :smt064
I'm pretty sure I saw both on Saturday.
Steve
-----------------------------
http://www.BeerCanMan.com

"Like" Beercanman on FaceBook - I even have random giveaways! https://www.facebook.com/beercanmandotcom"

Searching for Esslinger Quizzie BOCK variations and upgrades!
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 222
BCCA Number: 24666
eBay name: Tcandog
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Candog »

The picnic was supposed to have been outside at the far side of the complex where the pavilions were set up. Unfortunately 41 degree temperatures put the Kabosch on that. Unless we the organizers knew we'd have good temps putting the Hospitality rooms outside would have been tough. Yeah, it was a little tight inside, but we're all friends aren't we?

Jeff and Larry made herioc moves to get the RB meeting inside and have the BBQ/Picnic inside. Better food next year, maybe a later time for the band to play, plus lets stress Saturday night room to room. I wasn't ready to quit Saturday night, but there were no open rooms!
CANDOG

WANTED: I'm looking for the following Cone Tops: Gunther Ale, Carnegie HP, Travis LP, Dime J, Wacker J, Kuebler Bock J
Chris E.
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 151
BCCA Number: 26223
eBay name: moquarts18
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Chris E. »

Candog does make some good points, but it is hard to get folks to get back into room-to-room mode Saturday night which is too bad. Saturday night used to be great at Blue-Gray with everybody dealing like crazy. That started changing about 10-12 years ago and more and more rooms were packed up or empty after the banquet. I think this is a carry over from that and that is why so few rooms were open Saturday night. I did leave my room open after the trade floor this year and the time around 4pm to 5pm I did more than I did all day on the trade floor. Personally, I think the trade floor opens and closes too early (7am to 1pm) and that discourages local walk-ins. I can see opening the room for setting up that early, but that should not be the advertised hours of the show. I am leaning now to not getting tables next year and use that time to shop which would make for a lot less work trying to negotiate getting my crap down to the trade floor. If they do open a main lobby room for an additional trade floor, then I might consider trying to get a couple of tables there. But getting back on point, I do wish more rooms would stay open Saturday night for some last minute buys or trades.

Chris E.
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

The room-to-room setup for Spring Thaw is amazing. With the motel committed to putting all collectors together, all back three wings of the building both floors seemed to have something. Yes, rooms not always open, and sure would help if a small sign in the window with name/cell to contact person later, but at least the setup and large outside windows allows for display of items when the owner(s) are themselves looking around.

A bit of different opinion. After two full days of room-to-room, and seeing each room maybe 4-5 times at least, me personally the actual trade floor very anti-climatic. Unless locale is where there are going to be many persons there just for Saturday, by the time Saturday morning rolls around I feel like I have seen majority of what items that will be available and would rather continue to just chat/visit, or hang out around the RB table. Personally, I would say setup room-to-room and just abandon trade floor entirely, no need to move anything. For those that can only attend Saturday, would still get the great room-to-room experience.

Suggestion 1: Large cardboard printout of the motel layout and collectors write their name(s) with room #. Simply show that there are persons in certain wings/floors. Could likely hang this outside the main or RB hospitality room, even with bad weather.

Suggestion 2: Bulk printout of simple paper sign with "Name, Cell and maybe Type of Items" that everyone could tape to inside of their outer room window. Have a stack of these and pens/markers sitting at the hotel front desk during check-in.

Suggestion 3: Rent two adjacent rooms with adjoining door for Rusty Bunch, have motel remove beds from both. Room #1 have RB table, supplies and punch board setup but still plenty of room to move around. Room #2 have the kegs, food and snacks, but keep exterior door of this room closed, only the interior door open.

Again major thanks to Keith and other RB members for another great hospitality for this show. Picnic table was good idea, weather didn't cooperate.
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Randy Karasek wrote: Suggestion 3: Rent two adjacent rooms with adjoining door for Rusty Bunch, have motel remove beds from both. Room #1 have RB table, supplies and punch board setup but still plenty of room to move around. Room #2 have the kegs, food and snacks, but keep exterior door of this room closed, only the interior door open.
We get one room complimentary for the Hospitality. The adjacent (my room) was not comped, but was open for Rock and Roll Karaoke all nights !
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
eric
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eric »

I'm sure the RB could actually pay for an extra room if we can't get two complimentary rooms, if that is what people want. Not that I would have gone to bed any earlier, but it might have been nice to have that option.

One thing about the hospitality and the "picnic", there did not seem to be anyone making sure that those attending had actually paid for those events. The whole picnic thing was a problem because you had to pre-register, and there was no option to register for that at the show. I don't really want a beer-nazi necessarily, but I'm pretty sure a certain Canadian non-collector spent a lot of time in the hospitality room and also attended the "picnic" without paying anything.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Spring/Thaw 2016”