Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Spring Thaw questions

Post by Dixie Dave »

Next year's Canvention is just way, way too far away for me to drive, so I want to go to another larger show. Been talking with my buddies who went on the road trip to Milwaukee with me, and we've decided last weekend that we're going to Spring Thaw next year. I've never been to this show, so I have a few questions:

1) How far in advance do I need to book my room? I'd like to wait until after the first of the year if I can so I'm not running my card up around the holidays.
2) Is there a registration form involved, and where do I find a link to it? I need to know about costs like tables and if there are guest fees for my non-collecting buddies who will be with me.
3) What is there to do in the area for non-collectors so my buddies have something to do on Saturday rather than sit around the room bored out of their skulls?
4) What's the weather like on average? Don't mind cold at all despite being from the Deep South, do mind icy roads.
5) Anybody up for some dumping on Friday or Sunday? I want to dump another part of the country, and Pennsylvania is full of old brands. I'd love to dump some of those old brands, maybe an OI or two.

Thanks for being patient- I like to plan things out in advance, and just don't know how far ahead I need to be for this show.

Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Spring Thaw questions

Post by pinnacle-project »

I have been to this show each of the last two years. Each time, I stayed in a nearby Hilton property because I have points to use. I am highly confident you can wait until January to book your room but I am guessing. Somebody else can address this who has first hand experience.

Here is the link to the chapter's page for this show.

http://www.hoosierbeer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something to do in South Bend in the winter? Two things come to mind:

First, visit the Notre Dame campus. It's a very short drive away and a nice place to look at. Second, visit the Studebaker museum. Beyond that, nothing winter compatible comes to mind but I might be forgetting something.

Weather? It's anybody's guess. If you are lucky, the weather will be nice and the sun will have had a chance to work in combination with salt to melt the roads. The temperatures were above freezing for last year's show. I remember leaving my coat off when I ran stuff out to my truck so the temperature must have been at least in the upper 30's.

Dumping on Friday or Saturday? This seems pretty unlikely. Even down in South Bend there is bound to be a foot of snow still on the ground.

You made an EXCELLENT choice. This is a GREAT show. The hotel is excellent because many of the rooms face the trade floor. If you don't get a table, you can set up all your cans in your room and still get a good bit of traffic although personally, I like it better when people buy a table. Sometimes the rooms get crowded. The hospitality is great too. Donuts and such in the morning, pizza and more at lunch, and drinking all day. Not a beer drinker? They remembered us minorities and provided lots of pop too.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
dumper5
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 319
BCCA Number: 27267
eBay name: dumper5
Year Started Collecting: 1968
Zodiac:

Post by dumper5 »

He is Talking About Spring Thaw in Harrisburg PA Not Cabin Fever Reliever in South Bend.
James Mahler Collector of Michigan and Canadian Beer Cans and Breweriana From Both.
Shows 2015
Mid Michigan Flint WinterFest
"Cabin Fever Reliever" Hoosier Chapter Show South Bend
Luck of the Irish Erlanger KY
Spring Thaw Mechanicsburg PA
TAT 35 Green Bay Wisconsin
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Oops! Oh well, I will leave my answers up anyway in case somebody new is interested in Cabin Fever.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

The link below should be helpful on your first couple questions. This year was the first time I went to the show, and it was really good. A number of us bailed on Blue/Grey and did Spring Thaw instead, and I spoke to many who intend to do the same next year. I'm not sure what else there is to do in the area. Icy roads are within the realm of the possible, but it would be quite uncommon. It was in the 70's early in the week this year, and in the 50's later in the week. We tried our luck at dumping early in the week and failed, but had a great time nonetheless.

http://cansmartbeercans.com/spring_thaw_2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

mtracy64 wrote:The link below should be helpful on your first couple questions. This year was the first time I went to the show, and it was really good. A number of us bailed on Blue/Grey and did Spring Thaw instead, and I spoke to many who intend to do the same next year. I'm not sure what else there is to do in the area. Icy roads are within the realm of the possible, but it would be quite uncommon. It was in the 70's early in the week this year, and in the 50's later in the week. We tried our luck at dumping early in the week and failed, but had a great time nonetheless.

http://cansmartbeercans.com/spring_thaw_2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This sounds like just what we want- we're making this a big Ohio/Pennsylvania road trip- out to see new parts of the country and experience one of the bigger shows. I've heard a lot of good on this board about Spring Thaw and I want to see it for myself. April should be some gorgeous weather- a lot better than being around for New Orleans' rainy season.

I'm up for dumping either in Pennsylvania or in Maryland- just so I can make it to Gaithersburg for dinner to meet up with my sister and her family. It would be fun just to get out hunting with some of the Rusty Brothers.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Pinnacle: I'd love to do the Cabin Fever show, but that's probably too early in the year for me. That always does sound like a fun show from what I've heard and seen here. Maybe if there's another show in the area later in the year. I'd love a good trip to explore Indiana. Maybe 2017. Next year looks like it's set for my big trip.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Dave,

Yes, the weather should be nice that time of year, but it's not quite late enough in the year to guarantee that we won't see a couple days of wintery weather.

If you use the "Contact Us" link on the website I gave the link to, you'll get Jeff Lebo, who puts the show on. And Jeff's House of Cans is not to be missed . . . 83,000 different cans under one roof!

I was really happy with my first Spring Thaw. The selection of cans was spectacular, both ongrade and offgrade. Most of the guys I looked forward to seeing at Blue/Grey were there also, so the show did an excellent job of replacing Blue/Grey for me.

Marc
Daev Larrazolo
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 804
BCCA Number: 31724
eBay name: HEYBLAMEITONRIO
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Daev Larrazolo »

I can't answer any of those questions because I wondered around drunk and even threw up over the rails of the walk way and just don't ask for my ID.
WANT ANY MONTANA BREWERIANA
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Hmm . . . it might be a good idea to get a room on the 2nd floor if Daev's coming!
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Daev Larrazolo wrote:I can't answer any of those questions because I wondered around drunk and even threw up over the rails of the walk way and just don't ask for my ID.
You showed us something we didn't need to see also.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
potters66
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 594
BCCA Number: 30854
eBay name: potters66
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by potters66 »

idigrust wrote:
Daev Larrazolo wrote:I can't answer any of those questions because I wondered around drunk and even threw up over the rails of the walk way and just don't ask for my ID.
You showed us something we didn't need to see also.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :smt030 :smt030 :smt030 :smt030

Dan....you have an image you just can't unsee..... Maybe you liked it??? :smt005
RUSTY BUNCH #594
Ironguts #5 / One Percenter
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

2015 was my first Spring Thaw and I fully plan on going back in 2016. As some have already mentioned, Jeff and others do a great job in organizing the show, the tour to Jeff's house was amazing, and hotel setup very nice. Similar to the old February show, the rooms all have large outside windows so possible to display items if you are not actually in the room.

Plus, the hotel staff was wonderful, and they truly WANT us to be there, putting everyone together that requested to be together. The crown collector convention was booked consecutive rooms in one section of the hotel, and Spring Thaw consecutive rooms in another. I think we had the whole backside of the hotel! Room-to-room was literally walk out of one room and into the very next room, all down the entire sections 1st and 2nd floor. And parking was right outside the rooms so easy to carry items in/out.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

mtracy64 wrote:Dave,

Yes, the weather should be nice that time of year, but it's not quite late enough in the year to guarantee that we won't see a couple days of wintery weather.

If you use the "Contact Us" link on the website I gave the link to, you'll get Jeff Lebo, who puts the show on. And Jeff's House of Cans is not to be missed . . . 83,000 different cans under one roof!

I was really happy with my first Spring Thaw. The selection of cans was spectacular, both ongrade and offgrade. Most of the guys I looked forward to seeing at Blue/Grey were there also, so the show did an excellent job of replacing Blue/Grey for me.

Marc
Jeff's House of Cans is a primary reason why I want to make it to this show. 83,000 cans! I really want to see this for myself.

Good selection of offgrade sounds like me. I love nothing more than going through a big ole pile of rusty flats and cones.

I've heard nothing but good about Spring Thaw, and I'm really wanting to break out of my region and see some of the other big annual can shows that are out there.
Beverlx
RB Treasurer
RB Treasurer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 677
BCCA Number: 18483
eBay name: beverlx
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Beverlx »

TWO hospitality rooms, so wherever you're getting a beer, there's a 50% chance of Aho.
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Beverlx wrote:TWO hospitality rooms, so wherever you're getting a beer, there's a 50% chance of Aho.
Beverly Hills...thats where I want to be , Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme ...living in Beverly Hill...............
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Spring/Thaw 2016”