Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 123
BCCA Number: 15598
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Hellish Drive Home !!

Post by roy »

It sounds like almost everyone had a great trip going home! Mine was hellish! Going down I-5 in southern Oregon there is nothing like avoiding deer's that jump onto the freeway while one is doing 75 or so and then while one is going around a 55 MPH curve ( I was doing 55 on the curves) while they are running amuck on the freeway avoided them! Got to LOVELY Orland CA. on Monday (Labor Day) got gas then my engine light and TRAC OFF lights came on ( I have a 2013 Toyoda truck 4 wheel drive 4 cylinder). But the truck is running great so I figure I find mechanic - nothing open in Orland then Chico nothing open so off to Steve's house (his neighbor works for Toyoda). They figure it is either the catalytic convertor or a wheel sensor and not engine problem just check with Toyoda when you get home tomorrow.
So I am off 3-4 hours behind schedule now the traffic starts south of Sacramento it sucked - south of Stockton more so by the San Francisco turnoff!
Then south of LOVELY Kettleman City (say 10 fast food places - 10 gas stations - 4 motels - 0 houses) traffic was tight and a big rig pulled in front of me after hitting the brakes and almost going into the center divider missed him by say 18 inches. An hour later I am doing 40 MPH 90 miles north of the Bakersfield turnoff and traffic is like LA traffic so I had enough and got a quality Motel 6 room.
Next morning on the news I am listening to see if I can go through LA or around. The 110 in LA is shut down gangbangers had a shoot out on the 110 and 2-3 dead on the freeway - both sides shut down - wreck on the 210 - 710 wreck on southbound - I-5 south construction! So I decided to go Lancaster - Palmdale extra 1 hour at least.
Now I am cruising but getting a weird noise from the right under side of the truck but it is running great - until I am 10 MILES from home then it sounded like my engine was falling apart but it is running good so I head into the Toyoda dealer which was 1 mile away.
Turns out the catalytic converter had disintegrated - then some luck it was a recall item and it was free!!! As to why I don't fly after Lovely Southeast and watching RPG's and AK rounds going by the choppers I just don't like to fly period and I was in a Mech. unit!!! roy

Flat_Top
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 721
BCCA Number: 15216
eBay name: beer-1
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Hellish Drive Home !!

Post by Flat_Top »

That was quite the trip. Glad you made it home safe.
Chuck
Michigan Cans wanted
Sell your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island!
RustnStuff
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 29919
eBay name: krist1
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:

Post by RustnStuff »

Well, that makes it official, I'm crossing off California as a Western state to live in when I retire....
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

I don't know how people deal with the LA traffic every day. Glad you finally made it home safe.....
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
rusteditor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 18
BCCA Number: 16085
eBay name: rusteditor
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rusteditor »

Glad you got home ok. Great getting to meet you after all these years and have some time to hang out.
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1108
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

Sorry you went through all of that but it sounds like a typical Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday-EVERYDAY in and around Baltimore sans the free Catalytic Converter...that would've been stolen as you sit at a stop light. Oh and bullets, lots of bullets flying through the air and rats (not flying) and garbage.

Seriously, I'm still jealous of anyone that was able to actually go in the first place :smt022
Rockbob
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 824
BCCA Number: 30760
eBay name: rockbobford
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rockbob »

Monster wrote:Sorry you went through all of that but it sounds like a typical Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday-EVERYDAY in and around Baltimore sans the free Catalytic Converter...that would've been stolen as you sit at a stop light. Oh and bullets, lots of bullets flying through the air and rats (not flying) and garbage.

Seriously, I'm still jealous of anyone that was able to actually go in the first place :smt022
At first I thought you were talking about Chicago! :smt071
RockBob, Rocko, Rockford Bob, Pinhead
Collector of all things from Chicago and cans I dig
Ironguts Union #11
Monster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1108
Zodiac:
Poland

Post by Monster »

Rockbob wrote:
Monster wrote:Sorry you went through all of that but it sounds like a typical Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday-Saturday-EVERYDAY in and around Baltimore sans the free Catalytic Converter...that would've been stolen as you sit at a stop light. Oh and bullets, lots of bullets flying through the air and rats (not flying) and garbage.

At first I thought you were talking about Chicago! :smt071
Solidarity brutha!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “CANvention 46 Info and Stuff”