Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1050
BCCA Number: 32806
eBay name: thatsus02
Year Started Collecting: 1990
Zodiac:
United States of America

Kiss at CANvention 46 Portland

Post by thatsus02 »

And who said Portland was going to be a bust. they must have meant Portland Maine.

Kiss rocked out the hotel bar

https://www.facebook.com/clayton.emery. ... 654868541/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

President, Michigan Chapter of the BCCA / NABA
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Re: Kiss at CANvention 46 Portland

Post by MI-Cans »

Clayton,

If it's worth posting, please consider posting in such a way that non-facebook users as well as facebook users can appreciate what you're providing. Same holds true for the MMC website when you post there.

Thanks.

(MI-Cans)
Chris E.
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 151
BCCA Number: 26223
eBay name: moquarts18
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Chris E. »

I am on Facebook and I get a message that I am not a part of the group that can see this posting.

Chris E.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Post by oldindiapaleale »

Chris E. wrote:I am on Facebook and I get a message that I am not a part of the group that can see this posting.

Chris E.
Me too. Portland Maine is looking pretty goog right now, BTW...
mountainrust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 820
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Ireland

Post by mountainrust »

And yes, they played Love Gun :smile: I think I saw Bora chest bump Gene Simmons :smt030
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

Not sure if there were any group/permissions to view Clayton's Facebook post. Link worked for me but maybe only available to friends list instead of fully public?

As for non-Facebook users, nobody is forcing you to use Facebook, but you are missing out on yet another free tool to view/discuss quite a bit of hobby information. For canvention there were live Facebook feeds for Iron Guts tasting, Micro night, RB hospitality, RB dump. Daev has his Friday night videos. Ed posts a number of very cools pictures on the Roadrunner Chapter Facebook page. The RB Facebook page is active with numerous topics not posted on this RB message board. There are a number of Facebook posts to Beer Can Collectors buy/sell/trade page, etc, etc.

Again, just a free tool to add to the toolkit. Not mandatory, but don't expect others to only use "standard screws" just because you refuse to add a Phillips screwdriver to your tool set...
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

I’ll be right up front with my opinion.

FREE IS NOT THE ISSUE.

I am opposed to any organization (hobby or otherwise, national or local chapter) that requires you to pay membership fees to join and yet does not give you, as a paying member, fair, equal and full access to everything related to that hobby without promoting additional memberships (free or paid) for that equal access. I can't put it any clearer.

(MI-Cans)
chaunasknight
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 425
BCCA Number: 28097
eBay name: hop_gold
Year Started Collecting: 1984
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by chaunasknight »

You paid to join the RB. Then you had to "join" the RB forum didn't you? How is a forum "membership" any different than a Facebook one?
Looking for the following Lilek #'s:
Alt Heidelberg 26, 27 Columbia 185 Finer Flavor 270 271 Hop Gold 400 404 Sick's 749 750 Silver Springs 763 Rainier 702A Rheinlander 733 Town Club 790 Ye Old English Ale 398
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

Lots of people refuse to join Facebook. Just as I am opposed to join Twitter and a bunch of other social network sites. Some social net sites just aren't for everyone due to personal reasons.
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

MI-Cans wrote: I am opposed to any organization (hobby or otherwise, national or local chapter) that requires you to pay membership fees to join and yet does not give you, as a paying member, fair, equal and full access to everything related to that hobby without promoting additional memberships (free or paid) for that equal access. I can't put it any clearer.
Fully your choice. The RB is not promoting or pushing Facebook, other web sites, other chapter membership or tools on anyone. However, there are multiple resources out there, and your choice to use them or not. For Canvention, different collectors chose to use Facebook as convenient tool to post live videos of Iron Guts tasting, micro night, RB hospitality, the RB dump (cool video by the way), chapter displays. Some great posts by both RB members and non-RB members. Your choice if you want to view them or not, and nothing wrong with RB forum posts with links to other resources.
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
United States of America

Post by Beamer »

When I started the FB RB page, it was a tool where we could get information when the RB site was down. This happened quite frequently years ago before Danny got the site more reliable. I am glad that it has really been popular with many of our members.
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by thatsus02 »

i am sorry this post went to this issue. i had my phone and posted it to facebook because it was easy at the time. when linked i had no idea it would be such a controversy to view it. just thought it was another great moment in CANvention history. With my minimal computer skills this was the best I could do.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

chaunasknight » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:51 am
You paid to join the RB. Then you had to "join" the RB forum didn't you? How is a forum "membership" any different than a Facebook one?
I registered and visited the website for a long time before I ever decided to join the RB.

Yes, I was a member of the RB. Am not now and chose not to be because the primary focus of this Chapter is Dumping and related topics. I have no problem with that but I also have no interest in that niche of Breweriana.

The RB is an open public forum. Anyone, anywhere in the world, can access anything posted here. They can read, look at photos, peruse the historical information that's often discussed, etc. And this can be done without registering for the website or membership in the RB and you can also register for the website without joining the RB.

My personal opinion is that the promotion of these social websites as part of the hobby will only serve to create separate factions of membership, those that join everything and those that don't. Rather than unify the membership with access to everything, it will do just the opposite.

My social network is my family, my friends, my neighbors, my former co-workers, and anyone else I regard as a friend. This is my opinion. I'm entitled to one as are all of you. Everyone can do as they choose and they should.

Respectfully,

(MI-Cans)
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by thatsus02 »

well there are people who only think that the rusty bunch site is the ultimate source for info of beer cans and is the only thing that should be used. how is this different then what you are saying about seperate factions of the hobby. i think many on the other hand join many sites and post many of the same things for all to have the chance to enjoy.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

Clayton,
well there are people who only think that the rusty bunch site is the ultimate source for info of beer cans and is the only thing that should be used.
Thanks to Dan & company, the RB site IS the ultimate source for info, not just of beer cans, but Breweriana in general. And that, again, is my opinion. As it is accessible to all, without membership or registration, I will support it as long as I am able and they will allow me.

To that end, a while back, I emailed every member of the BCCA Board requesting they give consideration to adding a discussion forum (much like the RB site) to the updated BCCA website. As I expected, the muzzles were on and only got two responses. I won't say who. The gist of the correspondence was, they put the RB and 3 Facebook links on the same page so that all members would have equal access to the best the hobby has to offer. Well, two of the Facebook sites are private and require Facebook membership. The third is public but from what I read, it has basically become an eBay type selling site. And finally, the RB site...available to all. The only equal access that I see is that the 4 bookmarks are on the same page. The sites themselves ARE NOT EQUALLY ACCESSIBLE to the BCCA membership!
i think many on the other hand join many sites and post many of the same things for all to have the chance to enjoy.
"For all to have a chance to enjoy" would require equal access and that just doesn't exist when social media sites are used. I've yet to see an instance where someone posts on the RB site that they put something on a Facebook site (personal or otherwise) and at the same time include that same information or same picture or same article link in their RB post. It just doesn't happen! That is what I was asking for from what you posted.

(Mi-Cans)
Mike Wilbur
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
eBay name: acmerainier
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Mike Wilbur »

This was a post about a Kiss cover band performing at Canvention. No offense intended to anyone here, but where this post went from there is one of the reasons I come to this board less and less these days.

The band was a fun addition to the show even though I did my listening from the lobby!

Mike
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

The emails said 4 links and the explanation that the previous BCCA forum failed to attract any postings
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
BeerCanRich99
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 199
BCCA Number: 26729
eBay name: BeerCanRich99
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BeerCanRich99 »

So was it a full-size KISS cover band, or Mini-KISS?
Regardless of the facebook membership issue, I still cannot get access to the video (and I do have a Facebook account).
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kruegerbock »

I poked my head into the bar to see a small part of the show. I had to be up early on Saturday morning, so that was all I was able to do...
-Al Aprea
burgiedave
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
United States of America

Post by burgiedave »

When one suffers identity theft due to a hacked business account you will then understand why joining a social media group, with all the personal information demanded, is/was a terrible idea. Financial hit to the wallet was massive, took years to straighten out and was an ordeal that turned hair gray. No phillips SCREWdriver for me.
My primary hobby, deltiology, has a newsletter option: paper or electronic.
Spending time with folks I'd not seen in 19 years at the big Portland event had me miss Kiss.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “CANvention 46 Info and Stuff”