BCCA Number: 13691
eBay name: mmaitland72@yahoo.co
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Your favorite Antique/Flea market finds

Post by Kueblerconetop »

Rusty Bunchers:

Love reading through the stories of big, wall, barn, back shelf finds. How about Antique/Flea Market finds, where you were wandering through to kill time and almost spit out your coffee, prompting your best "poker face" to inquire about that rusty can with the sellers who where not collectors. Wanted to relate my favorite. Love to hear and see your favorite.

Bucknell University, Lewisburg PA, 1983. The McDonalds had 25 cent burgers on Sunday, the same day as the flea market in the adjacent parking lot. My fraternity would head their and get about 16 each and head back. I stayed to wander the flea market. Came upon an older couple that were artists. The gentleman had 8 Stegmaier Quart cones as well as a Park Beer for sale. $5 each. They were rebuilt and touched up as he was an artist and not a collector. Bought them all. If you have a Steg Quart cone with a silver painted seam, it is most likely from this find.

Regarding the Park. Showed it to Art. L and he said to share it with the RB as there was discussion on whether or not this brand was commercially sold. The mint ones came from the brewery. Here is the dumper, so it was sold. This came from the F&S brewery in Shamokin, PA (Cedar and South Harrison street, by the Reading railroad tracks) You can bet I will attend any flea markets in that town.
Attachments
IMG_1168.JPG

DURTBAGG
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 152
BCCA Number: 23126
eBay name: Durtbagg
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Your favorite Antique/Flea market finds

Post by DURTBAGG »

Over the years I have found several good cans at flea markets Most of which are still on the shelf, however here is the best $5 I ever spent for a can at one

Actually it was a friend of mine that found this one day. Knowing I collected cans and having seen my collection numerous times thru the years he knew the brand was not familiar to him and he figured for $5 what the heck!!

I’ll say what the heck!!!!

85C25240-FF02-4DFA-BED7-42020B46212E.png

Kueblerconetop
Zip Top
Zip Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1375
BCCA Number: 13691
eBay name: mmaitland72@yahoo.co
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Kueblerconetop »

So cool - a dream find. And the seller may think, what a sucker $5. But then again, whats in our attic that we might throw out. How about the prices on Lionel and American Flyer trains.

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

I grew up near the Shipshewana flea market in Northern Indiana. Much of my childhood collection can be attributed to that flea market. Things were pretty simple back then. I had a cardboard suitcase that was leftover from a Boy Scouts fundraiser. I would fill it up with cans and walk around the flea market looking for people who had cans. There was a guy with a red beard who often showed up with a bread truck full of cans. He would look through my traders and tell me which ones he wanted. I would then pick an even number of cans from what he had and we would trade even up (5 tabs for 5 tabs, 5 flats for 5 flats, etc.).

Unfortunately, I no longer remember my best deal from that flea market but I always came home happy.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2020 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 18, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Beer Can's 85th Birthday, January 24, Online show
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 28/29, South Bend Indiana
* Buckeye, March 14, Toledo Ohio
* Self-Quarantine, March 21/22, Online
* April Fool's Show, March 29, Online
* BCCA 50th Anniversary Show, April 15, Online

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Big Finds”