Rusty Bunch Member Number: 752
BCCA Number: 19592
eBay name: captainuker
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Can cleaning question

Post by Bryan2 »

Disclaimer - Yes, I know, wrong forum. But I wanted this to be seen for awhile before it gets moved. Thanks.

I was cleaning some cans last night and as per some advice I've been given and read.....I filled my cans with fresh water before dunking in oxalic acid. I understand the theory about why to do this, BUT: After checking the cans, the water in the cans was the same color as the acid bath. So I'm saying that after awhile, the acidic water gradually mixes in and displaces all that freshwater, which in turn, dillutes your acid mix. Is it really worthwhile to fill your cans with fresh water?

Currently in a collecting funk. Waiting for the bug to bite again to get back into collecting some type of cans, on a small, affordable level.
Bryan Shrock
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Re: Can cleaning question

Post by Mike S »

Thats a rustmongers thing. This is where we have differences, he swears by it but im with you where i cant see where it would do anything different. The concept is so the acid wont work on the inside of the can and eat holes through (i think). I usually check my cans and scrub them several times during cleaning so i end up with the problem you have, diluting the acid and ruining the fresh water....with that said it really cant hurt anything so to each his own.
mike
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Bryan2
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Bryan2 »

Another observation is that cold tap water (65 deg) is fairly ineffective at cleaning cans. At best, its a very slow process and the acid turns yellow/green fairly quick. However, I did slightly clean up some red label Acmes without bleaching the red. I'm guessing that you have to use warm water (80-90 deg) for better results and hot tap water for mystery cans.

Thanks to Jay for hooking me up with some dumpers to practice on. :smt023
Currently in a collecting funk. Waiting for the bug to bite again to get back into collecting some type of cans, on a small, affordable level.
Bryan Shrock
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

Oxalic acid DOES NOT eat metal like citric does, so no worry there. I use water from the garden hose (I'm too lazy to get hot water from the bath tub) to clean my cans and it works well. Most cans come out within an hour, while some of the heavily rusted cans go 3-4 hours and maybe overnight if it's a mystery can. That being said, a 2nd acid bath can remove a little bit more and bring the can up a half a grade. The first bath loosens up things and then the 2nd bath can really work on the rust.
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
Bryan2
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Bryan2 »

Thanks Ed......My workshop doesn't have running water, so I was using the garden hose too. What is your favorite mixing ratio? Seems like you need to be pretty strong with cold water. 1 cup per gallon....2 cups per gallon? Some say as much acid that you can get to dissolve.

Again, my apologies for using this forum.
Bryan Shrock
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

I use a "good handful" of acid to a 2.5 gallon bucket.... I put the acid in the bottom of the bucket and then fill it with water - this usually mixes well. Were rubber gloves and saftey glasses so you dont get any splashes in you eye. I scrub the cans with a toothbrush after about 30 minutes to see how things are going. I scrub then again before taking out.

I use a bucket of fresh water to rinse the cans. I stick the hose in there on a dribble (as a continuous supply of water) and let the can sit in there for about 10-15 minutes. Dry cans in the shade.
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
Jay
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 713
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Jay »

Bryan, Thanks for the can :cool:
RB #713
Collector of dumped it myself beer cans, soda cans, oil cans, automotive cans, household cans, and anything else worth taking out of the woods.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Beer Can Cleaning”