Answers: 0
BCCA Number: 24635
eBay name: *fiat128*
Year Started Collecting: 1982
Zodiac:
United States of America

WD-40, will it discolor cans over time?

Post by fiat128 »

The "WD" in WD-40 stands for "water displacement". The original reason this stuff was invented was to keep oxidation off rocket components. Since it is a rustproofer, I was considering using it on my cans but I hesistate for a couple of reasons.

#1) What I am wondering is if it will discolor the paint on cans (esp. white) over time. Has anyone used it for any lenght of time? Any problems?

#2) WD-40 will destroy some petroleum based products (it will reduce polycarbonate to crumbles after a short time, never let it get near the tailights of your car). Since beer can paint is petroleum based are there any issues there?

PS: I have a long experience with WD-40 at work, which is how I know about the polycarbonate thing. It was never designed to free stuck bolts, which is what most people think it's for. It is a cleaner and water repellent.

I dump cans and cars, if you find old cars & trucks while dumping, please let me know.
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: WD-40, will it discolor cans over time?

Post by Wheaton »

I've opined on this subject numerous times. Marc Tracy turned me on to the idea a number of years back, and I've employed it with many of my own cans ever since. I have never seen any ill effects from this use of WD40. I've noticed absolutely no color deterioration. Just be sure to gently wipe up excess with a very soft cloth to avoid scratching from any small, adhered contaminants.

I don't know how anybody else does it, but my best results have come from lightly misting the can with oil, letting it soak in for a little while, then wiping down. Rolling a little bit around inside the can is also a wise idea.

Marc recently posted pictures of his prized J-spouts in the main forum. Have a look, and realize that he's been hitting these particular cans with WD40 periodically for years. Then consider the nature of the cans themselves: rare as hell, some unique in the condition presented. Makes me feel a lot better about doing the same thing with my paltry wares.
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Beer Can Cleaning”