Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 291
BCCA Number: 29079
eBay name: 12Horse
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:

Latest project

Post by Rustmonger »

Here's a couple I just finished as a favor to Angry Gary. I thought the Liebo would be an easy one but it turned out to be the hardest can I've ever done (and I did the pancake All Malt Liebo!). The thing was so brittle it just crumbled everytime I touched it. I thought the cone would be a nightmare but it really wasn't too bad. The Fitzgerald crowntainer is one I found last year with Chris Taylor and Mike Schnare, we found a ton of 'em but they were all dented.

repair 1.jpg
Here's how they started out. I cut the bottoms off and worked them on a pipe to straighten them back out. The crowntainer was built of very strong metal which makes it tough to work but at least it was solid. The other two were real crispy.

repair 2.jpg
This picture will probably give Gary nightmares but every I time I touched the can a big chunk would break off. Once I got it straight again this is all that was left. I was sweatin' bullets that I ruined his can.

repair 4.jpg
Since there was so little original can left I had no choice but the wrap the remaining fragment around a matching 12 Horse O/I. The cans are pretty much the same on the sides and back so it made for a good donor, as a bonus it also had a copper top and bottom like the Liebo should have. I spread some "Seal-All" around the inside of the Liebo and held in on the 12 Horse body with a bunch of rubberbands.

repair 5.jpg
Here's the finished product. They're certainly not pretty but at least they're round again and can be displayed along side other cans. The Schuyler cone also needed a donor can slid up inside of it since it had no back after straightening. Both the Liebo and the Schuyler cone needed extensive "rust dust" patching which is time consuming but easy.

All in all I guess it can be considered a success. They look pretty bad but the goal was just to get them round again and that goal was met so I guess I'm happy with the results. I would have liked to have done better for him but I didn't have much to work with. Those cans were really bad. I just like doing this kind of stuff and each can adds a little to your technique so it was nice to have something to practice on again. Right now I'm in the process of straigtening a Mile Hi Scott Rollert sent me. I love this stuff!

Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 126
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Latest project

Post by Scott Rollert »

Dave, you're becoming quite the restorer! Patience, practice, and creativity are your friends. Your idea of wrapping the Genny around a cousin can was genius. I just did some similar work for CMD, the frailty was just like the Genny, although I didn't need to go to that extremity. I did, however, have to cut up a donor can to patch in the larger holes.

Keep up the good work!

By the way, the Fitz came out looking nice. Are you going to patch the hole?
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Rustmonger »

Scott, the Fitz crown is just a trader so I wasn't going to bother with the hole. It's yours if you want it.
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Thanks Dave, but I don't collect many cones. I just thought with the lid off the can that hole would take maybe 10 mins. to patch. I've been on a patching binge lately, so don't pay any attention to my disorder. My doctor says there isn't any medication that'll treat this condition...
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 600
eBay name: kb.1
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kb »

nice work dr monger...the purple liebo is hihg on my dig list, would love one in that condition...the green FS Fort schulyer is one that is not dug too often. keep em all and fix em all!

i still have to finish my patching jobs.
kb

go FishN... Toast to Max..
rustamust
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 146
BCCA Number: 26408
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:

Post by rustamust »

Dave, Great job on the cans. Looks like your skills are coming right along, keep it up. I would put the Genny on my shelf in a heartbeat and it would be right at home.
Mike

Wanted Old Gibraltar Tivoli, grade 3 or better.
just picked up my most wanted can, 8oz Pikes Peak Stout ML
Rustmonger
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Rustmonger »

Yea me too! That's still very high on my "want to dig" list. I have a couple of real nice ones in my main collection but still don't have one for the "dumped it" shelf. I've only ever found one example and it had just enough paint to tell what it was. It was so bad even I wouldn't put it up. :???: Came out of a dump with purple and blue Liebos, Genny All Malts, dull gray Apollos, silver Apollos, and "patriotic" Gennys. I don't have a single can from that dump on my shelves, preservation was just awful. :smt010
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

I feel your pain Dave...and thus was born my "hall of shame" out in the garage. For me it was soaking a mystery can for a week to discover it was a Pabst Bock OI, then the sweet back of a Silver State with no front whatsoever.

Now that you're able to save cans, I bet you'll be taking more home with you after your next dig.
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 552
BCCA Number: 33293
Zodiac:
Switzerland

Post by ANGRY GARY »

dave,
great job! i and my wall of shame thank you. the fort shuyler ale cone came from the gee lake dump in the addies and the genny came from a dump in the catskills that had previously been hit by someone else. there were dale earnhart aluminums on top and 50's schaeffer flats scattered all around. there still might be more but i cannot find that damn dump now to save my life. i know the area but still cannot find it.

grateful gary
I have had the great privilege of dumping with 68 current and former Rusty Bunch members, to date. Got to hit the woods of Virginia with Charlie Smigo recently.
MikeS29
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 19442
eBay name: michaelsheehan29
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
Italy

Post by MikeS29 »

Nice work!

I'd take that Fitz Crown off your hands if you are looking to off-load it! :cool:
RustyGoats
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
eBay name: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by RustyGoats »

are u kidding? you have never dumped with monger before .... he leaves nothing behind :smt016 dave pm me your home address so i can send them cans to u now that im back from b/g.
ANGRY GARY
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 552
BCCA Number: 33293
Zodiac:
Switzerland

Post by ANGRY GARY »

take everything and throw out what you want when you get home is a pretty solid method. the dump the genny came from had the appearance of,"well its not 30's stuff so lets move on"

AG
I have had the great privilege of dumping with 68 current and former Rusty Bunch members, to date. Got to hit the woods of Virginia with Charlie Smigo recently.
Rustmonger
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Rustmonger »

Yea, nobody can ever accuse me of not taking home enough cans. I've been known to bring home Black Labels in worse shape than that Liebo if I'm not finding anything good.

Chapper, you da' man!

MikeS29, PM me your address and I'll send you the Fitz crown.
Bryan2
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 752
BCCA Number: 19592
eBay name: captainuker
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Bryan2 »

Dave, those are some "sick" repairs !!! I love the creativity with the rubber bands. You could start a new shelf for "Cans I've repaired". Or "Cans that have been saved or salvaged".
Currently in a collecting funk. Waiting for the bug to bite again to get back into collecting some type of cans, on a small, affordable level.
Bryan Shrock
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Can Repair”