Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 291
BCCA Number: 29079
eBay name: 12Horse
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:

Beer Can De-denting

Post by Rustmonger »

Lately I've been talking with Scott Rollert about can restoration so, for Christmas, he sent me a couple of "project" cans and a few tools to do the job. For me this is the best part of the hobby, sharing cans, tips, information, and just all around good will. I haven't started on the Mile Hi yet (I'm waiting for Scott's "how to" article in Rustlings to pick up some more tips) but I did the Big State today. Thanks a TON Scott!

Here's the "Before" shots:
R2.jpg
R3.jpg
R4.jpg
The one picture is kind of blurry because the can was still rocking back and forth when I took it.

R1.jpg
Here it is with the bottom removed and ready for de-denting.

I used to grind 'em off with a dremel tool but Santa scored me a nice bench grinder for $30 at Home Depot so I used that on the Big State. Took all of about 1 minute. You just grind from the bottom of the rim until you see a split between the rim and the actual bottom. Then I just stick something in through the top opener hole (in this case a file that was laying on the work bench) and pop the bottom off. I don't know, might sound complicated but it's very easy.

R5.jpg
These are my hi tech tools. A rubber mallet from the dollar store and an old pipe I found in the garage.

R6.jpg
This is after about two minutes of pounding. Smooth as can be. Credit for this tecnique goes to our favorite Baby New Year Mike Schnare, he's the one that showed me how to do this.

R8.jpg
Bottom reapplied. You'd never really know it was ever taken off.

R7.jpg
Can's been de-dented and bottom put back on. All ready for acid. Total time from when the "before" picures were taken to when this one was taken was maybe 5 minutes tops. It's really fast and easy, no magic here guys, just a couple minutes of your time and some very basic tools.

All done! Here's the "After" pics:

R9.jpg
R10.jpg
This is after about 45 minutes in oxalic. Love it! Thanks again Scott, I love projects like this. It's certainly not perfect but there's a certain satisfaction from making something from nothing.

I'm tellin' ya', it's almost impossible to screw up and, even if you do, the can was no good anyway. You can't lose. Don't be intimidated, just try it. There's no real tecnique, the cans round themselves back out once you start bangin'. Nuthin' to it.

Return to “Can Repair”