Cleaning Metal with Electrolysis

Questions and Answers on Can Cleaning weather it be rust, smoke damaged or crushed.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MarkB
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 547
BCCA Number: 13056
eBay name: redsfan323
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:

Cleaning Metal with Electrolysis

Post by MarkB »

Cleaning Metal with Electrolysis.

I decided to try electrolysis to clean the iron stuff I find along with the cans. Some local relic hunters gave me some hints and I started this week.

My set up. The red clip is connected to a graphite rod. Others use a piece of stainless steel. The bucket is filled with regular tap water and I added Arm & Hammer soap flakes. Someone else can explain the chemistry. I just followed the directions. The black clip holds the part I wanted to clean and is submerged in the water. I flipped it around a couple of times as the side facing the graphite rod cleans the most.

This is an International Harvester wrench. Before cleaning it was all lumpy with rust and that yellow crude from Oxalic (I forgot it and left it in the acid for wayyy too long a couple years ago. It's been sitting in a box ever since.).

After 36 hours or so of sitting in the bucket with my battery charger running I took it out. It was covered with black goop (which I am told is normal). I wiped most of the goop off with a rag then used a small metal brush to get the rest off. Then I sprayed it with a rust inhibitor.

The part of the graphite rod that was in the water is mostly gone. (the top rod of the two) The rods are 12 inches long.

I have a big old rusty gear in the bucket now. Here it is. I'll post pics this weekend when it is done.

MarkB

My Heurich biography! http://www.rustycans.com/BOOK.htm
Uncle Jackson
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 929
BCCA Number: 953
eBay name: JLC0953
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Cleaning Metal with Electrolysis

Post by Uncle Jackson »

Ok, let’s see what happens to a can. I do not think that it will hurt the paint.

I have been thinking about this solution for a while. I tried the internet, but did not find a good, easy solution.

Good luck.
Jerry Cole
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Beer Can Cleaning and Repair”