Hamms O/I looked okay coming out of acid BUT...

Questions and Answers on Can Cleaning weather it be rust, smoke damaged or crushed.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

iggyks
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1064
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Hamms O/I looked okay coming out of acid BUT...

Post by iggyks »

I had a surface Hamm's O/I, no big deal valuewise but I was happy to find it, and after a couple hours in oxalic acid I could read the HAMMS and BEER at top and bottom, see part of the seal/ribbon or whatever in between, and the opening instructions... rinsed it off, put it into the baking soda/water solution, and when i pulled it out most of it looks like gray primer - can't see hardly any of front, a bit of the O/I. I have a second one i didn't dip - afraid of something like this - I'm gonna wait till I have some idea how to avoid this. First time i dipped cans since about 1980, and this these are the only O/Is I ever found (YET!!!). Any ideas??? :smt017

I'm constantly finding good cans... in my mailbox. *** My third year of waging Schlitzkrieg on the Flint Hills of Kansas ***
Tom Clark
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 48
BCCA Number: 17611
eBay name: milesclarkco
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Hamms O/I looked okay coming out of acid BUT...

Post by Tom Clark »

I have used oxalic acid off and on for the last 35 years, I leave the cans in the acid for 12 to 24 hours, then wash in water, towel dry and display. I have never used baking soda, not sure why you would want to, maybe that was the trouble?
chaunasknight
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 425
BCCA Number: 28097
eBay name: hop_gold
Year Started Collecting: 1984
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by chaunasknight »

I've heard of people putting in baking soda to supposedly neutralize the acid based on the theory it will continue to eat away at the can if you don't. I've never done it, and have never had an issue.
Looking for the following Lilek #'s:
Alt Heidelberg 26, 27 Columbia 185 Finer Flavor 270 271 Hop Gold 400 404 Sick's 749 750 Silver Springs 763 Rainier 702A Rheinlander 733 Town Club 790 Ye Old English Ale 398
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

yes It does eat away at a can if you dont dip it in baking soda. Not every can though, only ones with existing holes. I have had some where white stuff would form around the holes and would never go away because I didnt soak the cans in the soda. You should also soak them in soda if a yellowish greenish color forms on the cans. My past experience. Doesent always happen though...
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
chaunasknight
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 425
BCCA Number: 28097
eBay name: hop_gold
Year Started Collecting: 1984
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by chaunasknight »

I find the yellowish greening residue comes from too long of a soak.
Looking for the following Lilek #'s:
Alt Heidelberg 26, 27 Columbia 185 Finer Flavor 270 271 Hop Gold 400 404 Sick's 749 750 Silver Springs 763 Rainier 702A Rheinlander 733 Town Club 790 Ye Old English Ale 398
iggyks
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by iggyks »

So what it looks like is the paint of the lettering just 'let go' during the rinse and neutralize... I had a single panel Coors same batch that seemed to lose some print when I rubbed my finger across it. Anybody run into issues like that? :smt017
I'm constantly finding good cans... in my mailbox. *** My third year of waging Schlitzkrieg on the Flint Hills of Kansas ***
portermite
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 21608
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by portermite »

In short, to answer your question, yes. Each can/paint is differnet. Some cans paint will rinse off during the rinse. It's not common but it does happen. sometimes paint comes off with a toothbrush scrub. Your specific case sounds like it could be that particular paint, or it could have something to do with the neutralization. I generally dont neutralize and generally dont have a problem with cans post-acid, provided they are rinsed adequately.

Did you brush the cans while in the acid? Seems that if the brush didnt bring the paint off, a rinse certainly wouldnt, and if a rinse brought the paint off then the paint was vulnerable from the start. generally i would leave the can in a bit longer and be sure to brush regularly to get layers of rust off.
iggyks
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by iggyks »

portermite wrote: Did you brush the cans while in the acid? Seems that if the brush didnt bring the paint off, a rinse certainly wouldnt, and if a rinse brought the paint off then the paint was vulnerable from the start. generally i would leave the can in a bit longer and be sure to brush regularly to get layers of rust off.

I will try another batch tonight and vary my technique a bit. Still gonna save that O/I till I reacquant myself with the process... thanks everybody for your help!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Beer Can Cleaning and Repair”