foggy, hazy cans

Questions and Answers on Can Cleaning weather it be rust, smoke damaged or crushed.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

foggy, hazy cans

Post by canhawk »

It seemed appropriate to move the discussion about my foggy Grain Belt conetop from my Delhi dumping post to this forum.

Here is a recap:
Grain Belt composite (800x479).jpg
Note the foggy finish on the Grain Belt cone. It did not show this when wet in the field but turned foggy as soon as it dried. Steve and I saw this with one other can: a clean Fox Deluxe OI he dug out of mud. Acid washing did not improve or worsen it. I might try wax or rubbing compound on a small area to see if it changes. But, I guess an old foggy LP cone is better than no old Grain Belt.

Buckeye: Maybe a light coat of WD40 on the cone would make the colors pop.

Me: I tried WD-40 on a spot and it made no improvement. This can last looked its best after water washing in the river. As it dried out on the beach, it developed that foggy look.

Boston Bob
: For the foggy cone top, it almost sounds like the gel coat on my boat. It looks great when wet, but when it dries the foggy haze appears in some areas. There are products that can "lock" in that wet look that may help. On my boat, I use a marine grade product named Vertglas. It is sort of like Future floor wax. You paint on a few layers and it locks in the shine for 1 season. Something similar might work here?

Me: Bob, I might try a wax. Oddly, it seems like the longer it has been dry, the more resistant it is to change. The day after, I could wet it with water and the colors would pop. Now, I can't do this. We'll see.

Candog: I'd use a clear gloss acyrlic spray from Walmart. Takes the fog right out. Leaves the can bright and shinny.....

Bob L
: Before you lock it in with some kind of coating, you need to try either vinegar or CLR to remove it. The haze is often mineral or calcium based, and can be removed. Give the GB come a lengthy soak inthe vinegar or CLR solution

Me: I agree. If you had this cone in hand, you would see that clear coat wouldn't do it. When I now wet an area with water, it remains cloudy. I tried a cleaner wax today on two small areas, with no effect. So now it's in a warm vinegar solution. If I can get any improvement, I'll post results.

Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
United States of America

Re: foggy, hazy cans

Post by canhawk »

I tried an overnight soak in vinegar solution, no improvement and possibly slightly more hazy !!!

I now have the can liberally coated with WD-40 and a light oil, and early signs show promise. Stay tuned ...
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
RustnStuff
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 29919
eBay name: krist1
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:

Post by RustnStuff »

Has anyone ever tried a mild solution of CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) cleaner to remove mineral deposits? The stuff does work well on other items around the house to remove deposits but not sure about how it goes after paint so if I tried it I would start out slow and cut it with a 5-1 ratio of water.

Keith R.
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

I believe this is about as good as it's going to get, after liberal soaking in WD-40 and light oil. I included original shot on the beach, just after digging. Sometimes the environment doesn't play in our favor, but it's better than no tough cone at all.
Grain Belt redux 007 (800x461).jpg
2015-04-18 Lake Delhi 022 (800x538).jpg
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
plogan42
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by plogan42 »

Future...........candidate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Beer Can Cleaning and Repair”