Composite Forum Philosophy

Forum for listing all brands per Region, State, Size, Type etc....

Moderators: Current Officers, Previous Officers

Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Composite Forum Philosophy

Post by Wheaton »

Beer cans are a big universe. Big enough to challenge our imaginations, if not our patience. Many collectors came to understand this along the way, and as a result, specialty collecting became the norm. It's fair to say that the majority of us now limit our collecting interests in some way. The question "What do you collect?" would have sounded strange in the mid 1970s, because the answer was obvious: beer cans! These days, though, it's a whole new story. We see collections by state, city, brand or brewery, can design, graphic theme, general time period, and just about any other subgroup that can be imagined.

The earlier reference books we were most familiar with - BCU, Bible, WWBCC, Toepfer - could be considered universal in scope, despite the fact that they were light on international cans. Later publications such as the USBC (flats/cones), USBC II (tabs), and Lilek began to zero in on the modern realities of collecting. They stuck to tighter segments of theme material and reflected the move toward specialized collecting. They also began to fill in many gaps as far as minor variations were concerned.

To this end, the Composites Forum is here and awaiting your contributions. With the input of the RB membership, it is hoped that this develops into a repository of can-related information presented from a brand new perspective. It will be less like a study of the universe and more like a detailed view of the galaxies that comprise it. It will hopefully provide not only valuable thumbnail reference for interested collectors, but may even prove inspirational for those who wish to delve deeper into something that is beyond their current collecting focus.

Scott Rollert and myself will be moderating this forum and archiving the composite data. One limiting factor we've discovered is that our site will not host "live" documents such as Excel spreadsheets, so we're developing ways to work around that. At the moment we'll plan to post locked copies of the composite material on individual threads to keep everything visible. Beyond that, anybody who takes an interest in a certain composite can simply PM either of us and we will email you a live copy. A template in the Excel format is also available to help you start a new list. Once you've received it, you can reformat or add to it as you wish. Right now everything will be archived in Excel format, so you'll need MS Office on your computer to open and manage any lists you request.

As new composites are added, we're also requesting that the authors include some background on themselves as collectors. This information will be posted with each list. We recognize that good specialty composites require time and dedication, and for those who choose to share their efforts with the broader community, we believe in providing due credit for all contributions received.

In the event that updates are required for any composite information, we ask that photographic reference be provided. Once received, Scott or myself will endeavor to forward the new information to the original composite authors and make updates as needed. Keeping everything current may prove to be a challenge, but since we're just getting this started, we'll roll with it as is and refine our approach as we go. PLEASE NOTE: Since this forum is intended as a point of reference for interested collectors, the discussion threads should remain limited to relevant subject matter. New information, photographic evidence of undocumented label variations, and pertinent questions are encouraged. We respectfully ask that this forum be kept free of light banter and quips - our General Discussion and Other Interests forums are the intended venues for such material. Scott and I will endeavor to keep this forum tidy and on-topic, up to and including removal of needless posts. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Now, it's your turn. If you have a good specialty composite you've developed over time, we'd appreciate the opportunity to host it here and make your work available on a broader scale. Each contribution we receive can only enrich the hobby by deepening our collective knowledge base. We thank you in advance for your submissions and sincerely hope that this forum will become a fresh and meaningful source of information for everybody.

Cheers!

Scott Rollert, RB#126 sbrollert@juno.com
Dave Wheaton, RB#485 brewsterrooster@epbfi.com

JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Composite Forum Philosophy

Post by kruegerbock »

Scott/Dave,

I was able to talk to Paul "Farmer" Dodge and Joe Paczkowski regarding an NJ composite list. We are going to attempt this project, with the understanding that it will be a while before we can provide something that is even close to comprehensive.

The mere prospect of even attempting to do this for Ballantine is truly frightening...
-Al Aprea
Mark (expired)
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 692
BCCA Number: 27935
eBay name: markintheglen
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Mark (expired) »

I will be working with Scott on a portion (11/12 oz flats) of a portion (Coors) of the Colorado composite.
I will also be happy to send in the "Tecate-logue" listing I have for the straight steel flats/zips/pulls for the 340ml cans...

Cheers!
Expired once again in Portland ...
Still musing about cans
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 126
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Sounds great Al. These lists can be a bit intimidating, just ask Rand. We're in no huge hurry, so feel free to send bits & pieces as you go along.

Mark, whenever you're ready for the latest version of the Coors list, just let me know. And if you want to post your "Tecate-logue", we can do that one too.
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

I just noticed an interesting reference to a Mexican brand and it brings up a great point: international cans. I've only seen a couple collections of non-domestics and they are truly eye-grabbing. SO much color and variety.

International specialty composites would be a great addition to this forum, regardless of scope. I can imagine a lot of subdivisions that would be particularly interesting - flats, cones, party cans, 9 2/3oz, early American exports, or whatever. By all means, have at 'em.

Altering the topic slightly, I was just wondering the other day about a Chicago composite. It would be great to see them posted here. And a shoutout to Al, Joe and Farmer: looking forward to NJ! The Ballantines will be a case study in themselves and could easily warrant their own list. Beyond those, there was some very interesting and obscure stuff packed in New Jersey that will capture many imaginations. Appreciate you guys stepping up to tackle this.
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Composite Lists”