Rusty Bunch Member Number: 18
BCCA Number: 16085
eBay name: rusteditor
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

DGR Update/Feedback Requested - ABC Cones

Post by rusteditor »

Next up for a DGR update are the ABC cones out of the Aztec Brewing Company of San Diego, CA. The first can is the low profile 150-1. It was rated a “7” in the original DGR. There are three variations to this can; 1. With a small Cap-Sealed portion on the side (not what I would describe as a panel, just in open space), 2. No Cap-Sealed but with a California Permit Number where the Cap-Sealed was and 3. No Cap-Sealed and no Permit Number. Is one variation more difficult than the others? I’m not sure. I have the first two versions. This can comes up on eBay from time to time but I can’t recall which version(s).

The second low profile cone is 150-2. This was rated a “6” in the original DGR. I’m not sure what distinguished one LP compared to the other in the ratings. Perhaps a desirability factor?

And finally we have the high profile 150-3. There is no prior DGR rating as this variation was not pictured in the BCU. I would rate this the easiest of the three variations, but want to hear other input.

And while we’re covering the Aztec Brewing Company, why not include the other three cones they produced:

Associated 150-22 Previous DGR ranking “10”.
Old Dutch Brand Ale 175-32 Previous DGR ranking “9”
Old Dutch Brand Beer 176-1 Previous DGR ranking “8”

Any changes needed on these? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Since Aztec sold to Altes in 1948 we’ll cover that brand next. Stay tuned…

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use

Re: DGR Update/Feedback Requested - ABC Cones

Post by Scott »

roy would be the best source for the ABC variations since he's a local. Seems like I see the same LP one all the time with the permit number so that's probably the easiest.

The Associated needs to be dropped to 9 or maybe lower for the simple reason that I have one. It can't be THAT hard if there is one on my shelves and I know of a few others. Also I believe there is a variation on that label.

The Old Dutch Ale is definitely tougher than the beer. That said, both those numbers are probably a tad on the high side.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Post by oldindiapaleale »

Um, what is "DGR"?
rusteditor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rusteditor »

oldindiapaleale wrote:Um, what is "DGR"?
Dumpers Guide To Rareness. Please reference other posts on this subject in the Forums and my article in the most recent Rustlings for more background and detail.
rusteditor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rusteditor »

Thanks for the feedback Scott. I tend to think the same way about a tough can I have on the shelf (like the aforementioned Old Dutch Beer).

I'm looking at Jim Hall's "conehead composite" and he indeed does list multiple variations of the Associated, as follows:
Brewed and packed for Associated Brewers Distributing Co., no Cap-Sealed panel and a story on the right side
Brewed and packed for Associated Brewers Distributing Co., small Cap-Sealed panel
Associated Brewers Dist. Co., no mandatory
This pattern seems to follow the early ABC cones. Associated is an ultra-tough label on its own. We'll need some really serious California collectors to rate the variations!
Last edited by rusteditor on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

I tend to agree with Scott on these......but I am no expert on the western stuff.

I would like to see some input from some of the other western guys on these. Ed and Dan? How about big R.? What are your thoughts guys?
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
Matt Menghini
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by Matt Menghini »

My two cents: (1) With regard to the ABC Cones 150/1, the one that is by far and away the toughest is the one that has blank right panels. Both Roy and I have really **** examples, and we've been actively looking for that variation for a long time. Just really hard to find that one. (2) With regard to ABC 150/2 (lo pro) this comes 32-1A and also 11-8A; I don't have enough data to really say which is tougher. Really not enough out there to know either way. (3) With regard to ABC 150/3 (high pro) the general comment is that finding the high pro especially in good shape is harder than the lo pro. Supposedly the high pro comes 11-A and 11-8A. I don't have the 11-8A and I've never seen the can, so I can't say for sure that it exists. (4) Regarding the Old Dutch Ale and Beer, I think that there are more of them out there than most think exist. Since they were so graphic, I think that they were saved as a curiosity fairly frequently. Both are obtainable in 1- shape, but getting a solid example indoor without humidity would be tough and cost big bucks. My bet is that there are very few examples that would be indoor without humidity. The Beer comes off grade a lot more than the Ale. It seems that there are some Ales with heavy humidity, but I don't recall seeing an Ale that was a real dumper. (5) On the Associated, the one with the small cap sealed panel has been dumped. Not many out there, and of course there's a few desert cans that got painted by Fred Wolpe's buddy years ago. The one with no cap sealed panel has shown up indoor and/or rolled recently so there's a few out there now. It is suggested that there may be a third version that has no mandatory, but neither Roy or me has ever seen that, and we doubt that it exists. I think that covers the territory.
rusteditor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rusteditor »

Thanks for the feedback Matt! That validates what I thought about 150-1 as I've had the other two variations for a while. I probably thought the HP 150-3 was easier than the LP 150-2 as I obtained that version first.
Ceskydup
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 248
BCCA Number: 19952
Year Started Collecting: 1961
United States of America

Post by Ceskydup »

I think Matt pretty much nails it!

Skoal!