Rusty Bunch Member Number: 565
BCCA Number: 5104
eBay name: yelpster
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

iowa tax lids

Post by yelpster »

As far as I know anything with a tax lid from Iowa was sold in the state liquor stores. Our state had some weird laws and anything labeled Ale or Malt Liquor was classified as liquor up until the state got rid of it's liquor monopoly in the early 80s. The only flat top I have seen in my recollection with an Iowa lid was Drewys Old Stock Ale. This was also one of the only Ale cans I have ever dumped here. Malt Liquor lids I have seen are different Stite Pulltabs and the Drewrys in a pulltab and fantab. Some cans that might have lids would be Colt 45 and Olde English. Also maybe Pabst Old Tankard ale. Anyone out there have any other brands with an Iowa lid I would be interested. They would have to be from around 82 or earlier as that's when they liberlalized the liquor laws and put in the bottle bill for 5 cent refund.

yelpster

looking for dumper series cans will buy or trade. Also cans with Iowa lids and tax stamps
Soda Can Fan
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 10291
eBay name: oldwun
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:

Re: iowa tax lids

Post by Soda Can Fan »

I dumped heavily in Iowa from 1975-1979. I had the same experience...the ony Iowa tax lids that I saw were Drewry's Malt Liquor, 8 oz. Sparkling Stite cans, but also a variety of the 8 oz. white colored Gluek Stite flat tops. I don't have any of these cans any more and I've always wondered if the Drewry's was South Bend or Chicago.
yelpster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by yelpster »

If you dumped Drewrys Malt Liqours here tell me where!! The Iowas liids I saw Drewrys were the Old Stock Ales. The definitely sold a ton of beer but I never found anything older than a Mounty can which are almost up there with Hamms and Schlitz as far as commons found around here. I am pretty sure they were from South Bend not sure if they canned it in Chicago or not. As far as I know the only flat tops with Iowa lids are Stite and Drewrys Old STock Ale. Like I said any other ale or malt liquor cans pre about 1982 had to have the Iowa lids but not sure what all was sold in State Liquor stores besides stite and Drewys ale. Collt 45 would be possible. I think Olde English 800 didn't make it here til the late 80s. It would be cool to find a 16oz Stite pulltab with the Iowa bottom lid.
looking for dumper series cans will buy or trade. Also cans with Iowa lids and tax stamps
yelpster
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by yelpster »

I've been collecting malt liquor cans for a while and can now add country club ml pulltabs to the iowa list. Still looking for old english and colt 45 with iowa lids.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Iowa”