Anyone seen this Schlitz beer display before?

For Discussion and Information about Breweriania

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Mrbelvedere2
Cone Top
Cone Top
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 34422
Year Started Collecting: 2011

Anyone seen this Schlitz beer display before?

Post by Mrbelvedere2 »

Hi guys I just found this awesome rusty Schlitz beer can (or bottle?) display in scrap metal dumpster. It's the perfect size to display cans, but it's been outside for a long time. Has anyone ever seen this before or have a picture of one in better shape? I assume there is supposed to be a Schlitz topper of some sort that goes with it? it's made of sheet metal and I put some cone tops on the shelves to get an idea of size. Thanks for any info!
Attachments
schlitz display.jpg

Mike Wilbur
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: acmerainier
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Anyone seen this Schlitz beer display before?

Post by Mike Wilbur »

That is crazy cool. Someone here must know something about it. Never seen anything like it. -Mike
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

I was hoping there would be an answer about this by now. I'm really curious about this.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

The slogan is unquestionably Schlitz, but the colors on that base are about as Milwaukee Club as it gets. That is really cool.

Somewhere along the way I know I saw an ad piece that featured a large Schlitz conetop (ca. 1938-1940, hi pro), but it seems like the can itself may have been made of a composite material. I honestly can't remember, and I also can't remember what the base looked like. Something is nagging me to say that your base is considerably different than whatever sparked my recollection.

Regardless, that's the sort of thing you keep locked away until you know exactly what it was supposed to be. Very slick find, and I'm glad you were able to salvage it.
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

Wheaton....I think you're actually on to something. Considering that based on this article, Schlitz claims to be using that catch phrase since at least 1891. One would think that since Milwaukee Club was made by Schlitz it could have easily used the display although the phrase doesn't appear on the actual can. Are there maybe any pre-pro labels that might have used it? The item is on page 35 if the link doesn't take you directly to the article.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q6U9A ... ed&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guess it was more like 1871...

The famous slogan, "The beer that made Milwaukee famous", can be traced to the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. In the fall of that dry year, 17,000 buildings, most of the cities breweries, and its' water works were destroyed. Joseph Schlitz (as well as most other Milwaukee breweries ) sent huge shipments of his Schlitz beer to the parched Chicagoans. Edward Uihlein joined the brewery at this time and took charge of the efforts to pump beer into Chicago by floating shiploads down Lake Michigan. The grateful Chicagoans spread the word, and Schlitz came to be known throughout the country and the world. By the end of the year, the brewery had produced 12,381 barrels.
Mike Wilbur
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: acmerainier
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Mike Wilbur »

I'm not usually for repainting anything, but if it were mine I might sand and repaint the areas on the second and third level. OR, I'd leave it like this and display my favorite rusty cans on it! -Mike
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

Moving to the Breweriana Discussion Forum to see if anyone there has an idea about it...
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Mike Wilbur wrote:I'm not usually for repainting anything, but if it were mine I might sand and repaint the areas on the second and third level. OR, I'd leave it like this and display my favorite rusty cans on it! -Mike

That thing is screaming to be sent to american restoration!

mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Canadacan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Post by Canadacan »

Mike S wrote:
Mike Wilbur wrote:I'm not usually for repainting anything, but if it were mine I might sand and repaint the areas on the second and third level. OR, I'd leave it like this and display my favorite rusty cans on it! -Mike

That thing is screaming to be sent to american restoration!

mike s
I thought the same thing!...take lost of pics before it's restored to document original condition. :smt023 ...would it be work the $600+(just guessing) to do so?
Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Breweriania Discussion”