Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Jax Beer Sign

Post by Ed Kramer »

I got this sign about 10 years ago in New Orleans. When I bought it, it had the original paper covering and had to take it off. It has been in my storage room ever since. Never posted a picture, thought I would share it. Ed Kramer
Attachments
jax.jpg

You never know 'til it happens.
Malt Lager
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 29844
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Jax Beer Sign

Post by Malt Lager »

That is a beautiful sign. It needs a better display area though. IMHO. Unless, of course, you're trying to beerify ever room in your house. In that case, great job!!
ML
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 23865
Year Started Collecting: 1979
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

As a self-proclaimed Jax nut, I approve of that sign.

Here is one I will share with you circa 1936. Some knucklehead cut the neck of the bottle off in the distant past.

- Mike
Collector of Texas and Louisiana cans and signs.

Iron Guts Union #21
[
Rustomatic
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 344
BCCA Number: 25869
eBay name: isudzman21ic
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rustomatic »

Here's the "other" Jax beer:

Later,

Tom Inman
Attachments
bball09 015.JPG
Oxidus Rusticalis
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

Let's get this thread back onto the subject of the REAL Jax, not that other Jax from Florida!

- Mike

Iron Guts Union #21
[
TavernTreasures
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by TavernTreasures »

Longhorn Mike wrote:As a self-proclaimed Jax nut, I approve of that sign.

Here is one I will share with you circa 1936. Some knucklehead cut the neck of the bottle off in the distant past.

- Mike

Here's a photo of the sign before the knucklehead cut the neck of the bottle off.

Collector of quality early beer advertising (cans, taps, trays,
scrapers, tin signs, reverse on glass, tin over cdbd, lithos, paper, etc)
All NJ breweries including:
BALLANTINE, KRUEGER, FEIGENSPAN, HENSLER, UNION, UNITED, WIEDENMAYER, BIRKENHAUER, HOME, EAGLE, HOFFMAN, TREFZ, LYON, HAUCK, DOELGER, ORANGE, TROMMER, BREIDT, RISING SUN, SEEBER, HUDSON COUNTY CONSUMER, PETER, BERMES, SCHULTZ, HINCHLIFFE, GRAHAM, BURTON, KATZ, SPRATTLER & MENNEL, LEMBECK & BETZ, TRENTON, CAMDEN, ATLANTIC CITY, NEW BRUNSWICK, HUB CITY...

Rustomatic
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 344
BCCA Number: 25869
eBay name: isudzman21ic
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rustomatic »

Ok Mike. I grew up in Jacksonville, FL and collect from that brewery. However, I do love the "real" JAX also. Thinking about it, I would say I've dumped more Jax cans that any other can.

Later,

Tom Inman
Attachments
.jax.3.jpg
.jax.3.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 22632 times
IOTA-JaxBeerSign.jpg
RivershackJaxSign.jpg
Oxidus Rusticalis
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Longhorn Mike wrote:Let's get this thread back onto the subject of the REAL Jax, not that other Jax from Florida!

- Mike
What a tasteful thread! I always enjoy seeing some of the many, many different Jax signs that are out there. Mike, I have one similar to your first one here, but it's longer- maybe 4 feet. I'm still trying to figure out where to hang it up in the house. That second sign is a really nice piece. Did you acquire that at one of our shows here? I could swear I remember seeing one like it at one of the shows a while back.

I've also got one of those big plastic signs (last design) that used to hang in front of the bars, as seen in Tom's last post. There are still a few of those around, but most have been lost to time, hurricanes, vandals, etc. They used to be quite common. There were more Falstaff and Jax signs around than anything else, especially in the city.

Found this interesting article about Prohibition in New Orleans. This encapsulates pretty well the local attitude towards alcohol:

http://blog.nola.com/brettanderson/2008 ... whimp.html

Don't know how to make a link work on here, so you may have to copy and paste. There's an interesting Jax ad in this also.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Ed Kramer
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by Ed Kramer »

Moved the sign to my cabin, thanks for the suggestions. Will put up my New Orleans trays too. Good place for this stuff. No new pics, but will post when in place. Anybody see the Jax aquarium on ebay. Its like $400. I remember sitting in a pizza joint with my dad and brother watching one of those. But for $400, I'll just remember it!
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
eBay name: ccrc2
Year Started Collecting: 1966
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

Mike I'm new here as you can see, I have a Motion sign like yours posted here, I also have the shipping box it came in. My sign was working but has stopped moving any info on repairs? I tried posting a short video but looks like I'm not have very good results, I'll try posting photos later, any repair hints? Thanks Ron Costanza embed width="600" height="361" type="ap ... 3a283.mp4" http://s492.photobucket.com/user/rstanz ... t=3&page=1
I don't mind being Lonely, I Just hate being alone Vist us at http://www.rcola.com
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

Ron -

My experience with motion motors is they either work or they don't. Sometimes, a bath in WD-40 or carburator cleaner will free gunked up mechanisms (the oil tends to jel and solidify after 40 or 50 years). However, make sure the motor has dried completely before reinstallation.

Quite frankly, I have never messed with a Jax Aquarium motor. I would guess they are similar to Hamm's Scenarama motors which are available on E Bay for around $60.

What other Louisiana stuff do you have?

- Mike

Iron Guts Union #21
[
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

Not sure if this is Louisiana or not? Thanks for the reply!Image
I don't mind being Lonely, I Just hate being alone Vist us at http://www.rcola.com
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

I'm new to this board and trying to figure how to post, I might be getting the hang of it, the noise in the background is another dealer grading or counting Coins Thanks for your replies and any help with repair tips Image
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

Ron - See if you can find the details you need to fix your photo posting problems here:

viewforum.php?f=8
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

Thanks For the Help, I just needed a push in the right direction! Hope I can help you sometime, Ron
Attachments
7.jpg
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

That Jax aquarium sign is a really sweet sign working or not. You might want to look up Al Kleindiest in Metairie to ask about fixing it. He used to have the world's best Jax collection and knew just about everything there was to know about Jax. As memory serves, he restored a few of their old signs himself. I think he sold that collection a while back and mainly saves German steins now, but I could be wrong. Heckuva nice guy. Tell him Dave from the Mardi Gras Chapter referred you. He should remember me.

Mike: Here's a picture of your metal sign in action:
best beer in town.jpg
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

Al is a regular Customer, Super nice guy and always willing to Help, I sold Him quite a bit of stuff, He was collecting die cast Cars after the Jax sale
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Glad to hear that Al is still up and getting around. I haven't seen him probably since our last can show at Dixie in 2005.

We used to have a chapter here, but it kind of died off after Katrina. I have barely heard anything from any of the local guys since then. I've thought about trying to put on a show here myself, maybe at Abita, maybe at NOLA now that they have a tap room open.
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

I would think Joel Champagne owner of Champagne Beverage would love to host a show, He just built His New Facility outside of Covington and has quite a Museum Himself, I also can contact, Carey, Owner Miller Beer Dist. and I'm sure Abita Beer would Love to be involved Let me know if I can help, I think North Shore would be best, You would also draw Miss. Gulf Coast? Everyone is looking for a 1 tank trip, Who do you know in the antique Bottle Hunting Clubs "Non Beer Related"? They seem to have a good following also.
jmurphy9
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
Year Started Collecting: 2012

Post by jmurphy9 »

I am trying to find a decent size vintage jax beer sign. most any condition. i've looked at the standard places like ebay etc but i really cant find anything worth a darn. most are reproductions or just too small. the sign will be something to hang on my son's wall. his name is Jax. my wife, from Baton Rouge, convinced me that the name had great heritage. i'm from texas and the name 'pearl' or 'lone star' was not a wise choice. if someone can point me in the direction on where i could locate, acquire, etc a cool vintage jax beer sign, i'd be grateful.

thanks!
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

What condition, size and Price range? They are out there but a Little expensive, Do you want lighted, Metal, Motion? I'll be on the look out.
jmurphy9
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
Year Started Collecting: 2012

Post by jmurphy9 »

I'd like something that is decent size. poster size or there abouts. not sure I want something that is motion, but i'd take a lighted sign if available. metal sign of pretty decent size to mount on a large wall space is preferred. i have a budget of around 1000 bucks but not sure what these things go for. could def go higher for the right sign. thanks for any direction you provide!
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

I'll be on the lookout, The motion sign needs to be worked on I'm torn about selling it, the original box kind of makes me want to fix and keep it, When I first got it, it worked great once I turned it off the next day all it would do is light up, I'll get around to taking it down soon and trying to save it. You should be well in the market at that price!
Ed Kramer
Rust Master
Rust Master
United States of America

Post by Ed Kramer »

$1000 bucks should be easy. I bought a large 2-sided porcelain sign for $400. The big problem might be shipping. But there are Jax signs to be had in Texas. You might search allofcraigs.com. I know there was a guy near Baton Rouge on craigslist that had a Jax sign or 2 for sale. It might still be listed.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

rstanza wrote:I would think Joel Champagne owner of Champagne Beverage would love to host a show, He just built His New Facility outside of Covington and has quite a Museum Himself, I also can contact, Carey, Owner Miller Beer Dist. and I'm sure Abita Beer would Love to be involved Let me know if I can help, I think North Shore would be best, You would also draw Miss. Gulf Coast? Everyone is looking for a 1 tank trip, Who do you know in the antique Bottle Hunting Clubs "Non Beer Related"? They seem to have a good following also.
I go to the Bama Cannas show in Montgomery every year, and every year a bunch of the guys ask me "so when are y'all doing a show again?". Time it right and we'd have turnout from Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia one way and I know some of the Texas guys who always came to Dixie would show up. Northshore sounds like a fine place to do a show. Better motel rates, still great food, and not too far for those who want to drive in and go to the Quarter or other parts of the city.

I think you have some great ideas here, and we should plan to meet soon to discuss them and try to lay things out. I can't do it this week because I'm going to Houston for a few days. Maybe in a week or two. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and do what I can to make this happen. My honest target date would be the Mardi Gras Chapter traditional show date of the first Saturday in June. I dont know any antique bottle people here. I do know the few members of the Mardi Gras Chapter who are still around, and I would like to involve them if possible, or at least get the blessing of the chapter president.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

jmurphy9 wrote:I'd like something that is decent size. poster size or there abouts. not sure I want something that is motion, but i'd take a lighted sign if available. metal sign of pretty decent size to mount on a large wall space is preferred. i have a budget of around 1000 bucks but not sure what these things go for. could def go higher for the right sign. thanks for any direction you provide!
Have you tried the antique stores along Magazine? There are usually some really nice Jax signs to be found there or in the Quarter if you have money for them. I think there were a couple on Craigslist recently too.
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

I don't have a lot of time to do a show but would be willing to help all I can, I've never promoted anything like this before but willing to do some leg work, Just tell me what to do and I'll get on it, I'll PM my Cell and email to you I try and ck/in here everyday though, ck your inbox, Ron
rstanza
Zip Top
Zip Top
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rstanza »

Let me know if you receive my PM Ron
kidamadeus
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab

Post by kidamadeus »

Hello all...my first post. I have a Jax Sign (I suspect Jacksonville era) that I know nothing about. Any info would be helpful as I have never seen this sign anywhere. It is a enamel on metal, and roughly 14" wide by 24" long. At the top it says (in stylized cursive) "Say" with the Jacksonville "JAX" in larger lettering. Below is the upper part of a bottle with a diagonal label on the bottle neck with the words "Jax - The drink of friendship". The background is navy blue, while the lettering of the text is yellow, and the bottle is varying shades of yellow, gold and white. I have a picture, but I am not familiar enough with this site to post it. I am really curious about this piece, so any info would help. Thanks!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Welcome. If you could post a pic it would help. LEON.

P.S. read the link below.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6357
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Breweriania Discussion”