Applied Label Craft Beer Cans

Forum for Current Cans and New Collectors.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Digger_Jim
Flat Top
Flat Top
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: treasure_shooter
Year Started Collecting: 1980
United States of America

Applied Label Craft Beer Cans

Post by Digger_Jim »

Today I bought my 1st 3 micro brewery/craft beer cans without putting any real thought to it (impulsive). I did not inspect the cans when I was at the package store.

When I got home I immediately noticed a flaw.

Those selected for the start of my collection were cans with applied labels as oppose to the painted can variety.

I'm looking at these labels like a postage stamp especially when it comes to the alignment of the label when applied to the can.

One of the labels was crocked, tipsy when it were applied.

I would much rather have a collection of applied labeled cans that are well aligned (image left side), as oppose to the one seen on the right. The one on the right was so badly aligned that it created ripples of types throughout the label. The label itself didn't look bad, it was just badly aligned. I will get a better one to replace it.

I don't know if there is a grading system yet for the modern micro brewery cans, but points should be detached from these near mint cans with misaligned, badly applied labels. This was my first lesson in applied labels, and hope I learned something from it.

You guys with full knowledge and have been in the micro beer can hobby for a while should develop a clear grading system for this aspect of the can collecting hobby. Just say'in!

For you inventor types, we need a practical piece of hardware to open the cans from the bottom.
Attachments
DSCN1111.JPG

golf_lover44
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 34341
Year Started Collecting: 2013

Re: Applied Label Craft Beer Cans

Post by golf_lover44 »

Many of the craft breweries use sticker labels because it's cheaper than using shrink wrapped or painted label cans. Obviously their quality control was not on the ball that day when your can went through the canning line.

I know collectors that do not collect sticker or shrink wrapped cans - only painted craft cans. Your can on the right is probably why.

I always check the cans for sticker or shrink wrapped labels that are out of alignment, wrinkled or damaged in some way, just as I inspect the cans for dents, creases, ripples or other noticeable imperfections before I buy them. Most liquor stores in the area have gotten used to me doing this. The one that kept raising a stink about it no longer gets my business.
golf_lover44
BCCA #34341
Collector of current micro and craft brewery cans from Chicago and the USA
Digger_Jim
Flat Top
Flat Top
United States of America

Post by Digger_Jim »

I was surprised when I was told it was okay to break open a pack to get one. They have a really large selection of Micro Brew beer cans, probably one of the biggest in region. I'm thinking if the can is offered with a paper label, it would be short lived. Then if the brew is successful within that short period, it would switch over to a painted can variety. That's just my thinking of course.
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

Most of the vinyl labels are done by mobile canners who can out of vans set up to do so. No minimum order required. Painted label cans take a minimum order from the can company itself. I stopped collecting vinyls because anyone can print off a label and make their own can....and you could never tell the difference. I have taken vinyl labels on.a dented can, pealed it off and put it on a new undented can. ...you could never tell the difference.

Eric Palmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digger_Jim
Flat Top
Flat Top
United States of America

Post by Digger_Jim »

I find that getting the right cans is going to be a challenge because not many micro breweries can afford to but their product into truly painted beer cans. These are very small operations on the most parts. Wrap can labels are the next best thing to the applied labels and is step down from the painted can variety. You are right about the machines used by the caners. I had 4 of them produced yesterday at Element Brewers in Millers Falls, MA. It's the only way I could get the label! The cans were pre labeled "Vinyl" under the bar, where each were filled from the tap then the top was applied by a manually powered unit. The unit was counter top, not much bigger than a tall blender.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Current Can Collecting”