Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2015
United States of America

The Brown Derby

Post by DanielinAk »

Ok fellas many have asked and I think I said this was a Spokane can or maybe that was another.
Anyhow someone asked about the top and bottom lid on this Brown Derby.
Now you can see that it’s a Tacoma Washington can.
And what’s up with that Black Spot?
IMG_1473.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by DanielinAk on Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Re: The Brown Derby

Post by Scott »

The can should say Atlantic Brewing of Spokane along the seam. When they closed they sent their remaining can stock to Silver Springs in Tacoma. There are a few other cans such as Tuxedo 51 that they also did that with. There was a large indoor find of those 11 oz. Brown Derby's (but without the Tacoma stamp) made in Portland about 2006 so they are not as difficult as they once were. We don't dump them very often so before then it was a semi uncommon can from that brewery. Unfortunately the similar looking 12 oz. Brown Derby's from California are common as rocks so their lesser seen brothers don't get a lot of love.

Brown Derby was a house brand sold by Safeway Stores. It was produced by a lot of different brewing companies. I have no idea what's up with the black spot. Maybe it was intended to cover up a price stamp as almost everything in Alaska costs more.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
DanielinAk
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2015
United States of America

Re: The Brown Derby

Post by DanielinAk »

Scott wrote:The can should say Atlantic Brewing of Spokane along the seam. When they closed they sent their remaining can stock to Silver Springs in Tacoma. There are a few other cans such as Tuxedo 51 that they also did that with. There was a large indoor find of those 11 oz. Brown Derby's (but without the Tacoma stamp) made in Portland about 2006 so they are not as difficult as they once were. We don't dump them very often so before then it was a semi uncommon can from that brewery. Unfortunately the similar looking 12 oz. Brown Derby's from California are common as rocks so their lesser seen brothers don't get a lot of love.

Brown Derby was a house brand sold by Safeway Stores. It was produced by a lot of different brewing companies. I have no idea what's up with the black spot. Maybe it was intended to cover up a price stamp as almost everything in Alaska costs more.
Awesome info, thanks.
Every time I find cans along the old highway I always think about if that person who threw away the can drive up from the states with their favorite brand because they had no idea if Alaska had beer or not.
If only they cans could talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Dumping Trips and Stories”