Metal detector choice

Informational Topics that are no longer on the first few pages.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

jaympls77
Cone Top
Cone Top
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 32955
Year Started Collecting: 0
Zodiac:

Metal detector choice

Post by jaympls77 »

Ok, I hope this is not a question that has been beat to death in the past (I couldn't find much in the archives about it) but what is the metal detector of choice amongst dumpers? I did a little research online but most of the sites are dedicated to people searching for other precious metals. Any advice for me?

Thanks,
Jason Johnson

Looking for anything from Kato beer or Mankato Brewing.
EVILBUNNYHUNTER
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: evilbunnyhunter
Year Started Collecting: 1973

Post by EVILBUNNYHUNTER »

I'll try and help because some of the experts find it trivial to answer the same question over and over... I believe they recommend the Goldbug, and besides I have to catch up with Leon on the number of posts so I'll answer all the posts I can :smt096 ...LoLoLololOl
CLEAN NON-OI FLATS AND CONES AND SIGNS
Rustmonger
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 291
BCCA Number: 29079
eBay name: 12Horse
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:

Post by Rustmonger »

Yea, we've been over this before and the answer always seems to be the Fisher Gold Bug. A lot of guys have tried different models but the Gold Bugs really seem to be the best. I have a White's Coinmaster Classic II but my partner (KB) has a Gold Bug and he just kicks my butt. We both bought ours used, I paid $100 and I think his was $250, but the difference in the two is amazing. Mike S has a real nice one (not sure which brand) but the price was real close to what used Gold Bugs sell. Granted his is new so maybe it's a better deal, tough to say. Overall you can find cans with any detector (I found a ton with my old $99 Radio Shack special) but it seems like you'll find the most with a Gold Bug. I don't own one yet but I'm a firm believer now.

PS The West Coast guys know this stuff better than I do but I didn't want to leave you hangin'. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I've also heard Fisher came out with a new model that is NO good for finding cans so you'll have to go used if you want a Gold Bug.
cg
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by cg »

Yes, this has been discussed many, many times - oh, so many times, but whatever. I like the Gold Bug, and this seems to be the detector of choice among many of the RBers, all of whom have more experience than I do, so they could tell you better about its merits versus other detectors, but I'll take a stab at this, and I hope others will chime in and add something or correct me if I'm wrong here.

Stew and I were talking about this, and the conclusion is that the Gold Bug was designed to find gold in the land of no metal; it finds metal in the land of no metal. It doesn't discriminate between various types of metal, but it's very good at finding metal, no matter how small. A gold nugget could be the size of a pin head. The Gold Bug has the ability to locate that and pin point its location. Now, obviously, it requires skill, particularly when looking for something like tiny gold nuggets, but because of its design, it's great for cans, too, because it sounds different when identifiying larger sources of metal versus smaller ones, and it doesn't discrimate between different types of metal, so it's less likely to miss something. These are two invaluable features when hunting for cans.

For example, if you pass the coil over a large pile of buried cans it's going to scream versus say one can. So, it gives you an idea of the amount of metal you're dealing with, the area of coverage and possibly the depth. The volume control really has nothing to do with it because the change in tone is relative, assuming of course that the volume is high enough for you to hear it, and, of course, turning the volume up does't hurt unless you're concerned about drawing attention. And this is the feature that makes the Gold Bug desired over many other detectors - namely its ability to sound different depending on the strength of the signal. Over fire rings, for example, where there are lots of tiny pieces of charred metal, it will have a non-contiguous tone (not a rich one), and the way the tone changes will clue you in as it will be broken up and not the rich, harmonious tone of cans submerged in close proximity to each other. You're looking for the change in tone as the coil sweeps over the given area. I still have a lot to learn, but that's my understanding even though I'm not very adept at it yet. Ed had to teach me to not hold the darn thing in a straight line. I think everyone else out there on the streets whose never even used a detector before already graduated beyond that. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razz: :razz: :razz:

The Gold Bug has three main control knobs: volume, sensitivity and ground reject. All of these can be independently tuned for various effects and to get the best results in areas with varying soil conditions, e.g. hot rocks, volcanic soil, etc. You can balance the detector to best perform for what you need. It also has three operational modes (2 of which are really beyond my scope) and two other buttons for balancing and clearing memory. I should also note that the coil is water proof so it can go in water as deep as it takes as long as the electronic control unit on the other end is not exposed to water. You might be tugging on Superman's cape a little, though.

So the can hunter is really looking for cans in the land of no metal, but the coin collector might be looking for coins in the land of metal, e.g. an old house foundation, or maybe a beach where there could be mineralized sand and natural deposits of metal, so he might prefer a detector that can discriminate between ferous and nickel, or silver, etc. He wants to tune out everything but coins or rather the metal that coins would consist of and filter everything else out. I've used a Whites detector, and I didn't care for it as much. There was something goofy about the switch or control knob, but I don't recall what it was, and I don't remember the model.

In my opinion, a detector that sounds the same regardless of the metal source is not as practical for finding cans. Any detector that just blips or beeps when it identifies metal, but doesn't act different when encountering stronger signals versus weaker ones, is not what you want. Not sure about detectors that provide alternative methods of signal strength indication, but the audible indication used in the Gold Bug makes the most sense to me. Furthermore, a detector that can discriminate between various metal types might prove too complex, and it seems to me that that's just an extra hurdle to clear.

On the other hand, there are collectors who have had great success with other detectrors like Whites, e.g Dale, and Dave Lang, and I've seen Pete Sorbi use a wicked detector that has all kinds of buttons, dials, knobs, levers, etc. including a digital display window. I think it even makes graphs. I call it the punisher. It's capabilities are way over my head. I would be lost with something like that. It's too complex for my current knowledge, but he's darn good with it and could probably find anything. I think these guys could probably find anything with anything. In fact, they could find more cans with a dowsing stick than I could with a detector so they're in a league of their own. Ditto for Ed S and company. But as they say, it's all in the skill of the pilot, and while I have little experience with other detectors, I'll place my bets with the Gold Bug for cans.

I've also heard that the second generation of Gold Bug (Gold Bug II maybe?) is no good for cans. It operates on a different frequency, but I've not tried it.

cg
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Scott »

George covered most of it but only glossed over an important part at the end. You need the first Fisher Gold Bug which has been discontinued. I've only seen a GB II in action once but was not terribly impressed and it unquestionably is an inferior product to the original when it comes to finding beer cans. Perhaps they had too many complaints from nugget hunters about all the crummy old beer cans they kept finding. Go with a Gold Bug, you will not be disappointed but good luck finding one. They are still out there but are dissapearing fast.

Scott
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
rustamust
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 146
BCCA Number: 26408
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:

Post by rustamust »

Old gold bug the only choice. After a while you will know what kind of metal be it aluminum, steel or iron. I had a Bounty Hunter and found a lot of cans including my find of over 75 Coors Export Lagers and returned 2 years later and found 60 or so more that I had missed less than 2 feet away. Great detector.

Mike
Mike

Wanted Old Gibraltar Tivoli, grade 3 or better.
just picked up my most wanted can, 8oz Pikes Peak Stout ML
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Metal detector choice

Post by Rand »

jaympls77 wrote:Ok, I hope this is not a question that has been beat to death in the past
As has been noted.....yep....beat to death in the past.
Here are some of the tombstones:

metal detectors

Gold Bug

i need a new metal detector

Metal detector for pit dumping

....and finally....if you are feeling bold....just buy this one on ebay right now.....might be a little pricey...but it is the "first version" everybody is talking about.

Rand :smile:
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
jaympls77
Cone Top
Cone Top
BCCA Number: 32955
Year Started Collecting: 0
Zodiac:

Post by jaympls77 »

Thanks for all of the tips! Maybe I should have searched the archives just a little but harder ;) I will keep an eye on that one on ebay though, what is the highest I should bid on it? Since I have never searched for them on ebay in the past I don't know how often they pop up on there. Thanks guys!

-Jason
Looking for anything from Kato beer or Mankato Brewing.
Boardman
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 777
BCCA Number: 4040
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Boardman »

I got mine about 6 months ago on ebay. They seem to come up evey month or so and the price range is really all over the place ($175 - $500) and then you have to add shipping, insurance etc. One problem with not being able to check out before you buy - DOES IT WORK - when you get it? When I got mine, I found out it works ok; but will be sending it to Fisher for a tuneup. I would also check your local nickel ad papers and regular paper under hobbies. Just to be clear - you want to look for the Fisher Gold Bug, I have heard not so good things about the Fisher Gold Bug II.

Michael
PDX canV 46
WMassPete
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 1996
United States of America

bells and whistles = bad for cans

Post by WMassPete »

totally agreed...I have two totally different detectors for coins and for cans.....a lot of the high end coin detectors are way too sensitive for cans.....if I can find a coin at 10 inches..its going to make a can sound like a bucket....which is good..unless you are on the side of the road where there is tons and tons of junk..and then you cant make heads or tails out of anything...for my money.....pick up a Tesoro Silver Umax...two knobs...gets single cans a good foot deep..pits deeper....really easy to use..and only 249 new.....you can probaly find a used one for cheaper....thats the one I always take..its also super light and lasts about 20 hours on one 9V battery.......
stupid conspiracies are still stupid conspiracies even if 30 percent of the population believes them...
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 756
BCCA Number: 29308
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldcrowncollector »

I want to do alot of detecting under water is there a better one for under water or does the Gold Bug work? I only mean with coil under not whole detector.I know there are 100% underwater versions.
Oldcrowncollector
Sell me your Centlivre bottles
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

My Gold Bug seems to have been working on finding Pits but for some reason it only finds those Yellow Johhny Pfeiffers, Must be stuck on Johnny Pfeiffer mode, Anyway to get rid of this Problem? I want it on Regal mode? LEON
rustamust
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 146
BCCA Number: 26408
Zodiac:

Post by rustamust »

Leon,
I think you and I should get together and not only trade cans but Gold Bugs as mine only finds Coors and more Coors. Once in a while Pabst or Buds. It would be pretty neat to find Johnny's here. Oh well

Mike
Mike

Wanted Old Gibraltar Tivoli, grade 3 or better.
just picked up my most wanted can, 8oz Pikes Peak Stout ML
cherrypickermark
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by cherrypickermark »

Somebody needs to invest a sonar based device.. e.g. anyone ever seen a fish finder on a boat? You can see the size of the damn fishes as they're swimming 20-30 feet below you. So why can't somebody invent a detector that is made for beer cans, and searches for steel within the length/width of a typical beer can?

Any inventors here?
-cherrypickermark
A Rosalie by any other name would be worth chit.
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Leon, I think this is a pic of your Gold Bug,
It's possible you may have it set on Pfieffer Mode.
:smt033 :smt041
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by CMD »

too funny but I think leon has 10 of those little johnny icons on his dial!!

out

dan
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Yeah, :idea: ;) I think your right, I do have it set on #8, the Pfeiffer mode, Which Dial # should I set it to to find the Regals? Is there a Phoenix mode? How about Honers while were at it?LEON.
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Scott »

Nice dial photo of the GB. You have the toggle switch on the left side properly set to the middle. Sensitivity however need to be cranked to eleven. Keep the volume down.

Scott
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Archived Topics”