LIST AND PICS of cans NOT in USBC II

Informational Topics that are no longer on the first few pages.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

LIST AND PICS of cans NOT in USBC II

Post by CMD »

THIS AS A PERMINANT ONGOING LIST OF CANS NOT IN THE NEW USBC II BOOK. This is for educational purposes and not intended to slight the great reference book that many folks donated years of their lives compiling and assembling.

Since this is set up as a LIST, we'll open discussions on said cans in other posts. (signed: The Moderators)

I just found a can that is not listed in there

Hamms zip st paul USBC 2 like 72-35 but gold trim.......common? , overlooked? tuff?

Post em if you got em

out

Dan
Last edited by CMD on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 23865
Year Started Collecting: 1979
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

I am not sure about that one, but I know they left out a number of Hamm's examples.

Hamms straight steel zip from Houston
Hamms Draft from Houston
Hamms President's Message cup from Houston

Heck, I even had my Houston Draft photographed and it still did not make it. Due to the number of cans and variations, the book project had to be a huge undertaking. Because of that, I am sure there are hundreds (thousands?) of cans, tough and easy, that never made it to print.

- Mike
Collector of Texas and Louisiana cans and signs.

Iron Guts Union #21
[
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

I'n not taking credit for this one. "Conostyle" posted this on another post and I thought I'd add it here.

CONOSTYLE wrote:How about this one....... It fits the criteria: (1) It's not in the new tab book & (2) It's a beer can with a number on it. BTW... The top on it is a later style American Can Co ring pull.
Attachments
If you search "Beldo Willmarth" on the web you will find that they provided new product concept and container evaluation as well as ready for this.... psycological research??? My theory is that there maybe other numbered cans out there. 80, 81, 82, 83 etc. and possibly an earlier 53 can. The number on the can would correspond to a particular brand of beer known only by B & W. This would have provided a truly objective, but very expensive way of taste testing canned beer.
If you search "Beldo Willmarth" on the web you will find that they provided new product concept and container evaluation as well as ready for this.... psycological research??? My theory is that there maybe other numbered cans out there. 80, 81, 82, 83 etc. and possibly an earlier 53 can. The number on the can would correspond to a particular brand of beer known only by B & W. This would have provided a truly objective, but very expensive way of taste testing canned beer.
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
CONOSTYLE
Zip Top
Zip Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1027
BCCA Number: 5051
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:

Post by CONOSTYLE »

The Old Crown's you posted are in there listed as 100-1 & 99-30.... Two that I didn't locate are these 2..... San Juan Beer Ziptop The sister San Juan Malta is shown in the book as 117-26 & Utica Club Beer test can. This can varies greatly from the common 132-24 in the tab book. The main differences are the multi colored "Lady Liberty" within the circle and the blue text coloring below Utica Club. This can is air sealed with a factory interlocked seam (not rolled) I wonder if there is a companion Ale can out there?
I'm sure other 'missed' test cans will show up on here as time progresses. As many were one of a kind prototypes that are known to exist as single cans.
Attachments
SANUTICA.jpg
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

An addition to the list, this time coutesy of: jwcans
jwcans wrote:CONOSTYLE, you did not mention if the can in your photo ( your can ? ) was top , bottom, or air sealed?
I had started a thread about the 81 can around a year ago. I forget who now ( maybe he will chime in ) told a great story of one of these cans be acquired by a traveling salesman, or traveling auditor, something like that.
The thing that was a bit unusual was the guy kept a journal. It seems as he traveled from city to city he would buy a 6 pack , drink the beer, save one. Then note in his journal location, and if he liked the beer. The guy later sold his entire collection apparently with the journal. So this can was documented as being filled and marketed publicly. His can ended up in a northwestern collection last I knew. The reason I started the thread was someone in St. Louis sold one on Ebay. Here is the pic of that one. Obviously not the same can. Notice the rusted bottom rim, and is T.O. So now if CONOSTYLE has one that makes for at least 3. You will notice the Beer 83 in the new book is also from Beldo & Willmarth same as the Beer 81 pictured here. My memory is soo bad, but I also picked up a sheet of the second can Beer 87 from someone here. This one only has contents 12 fl ounces on the seam.
Attachments
2007_0321a-10001.jpg
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

....and one from Fred Johnson....
Fred Johnson wrote:A couple of observations, and a couple of questions...

1. I did not see the 11 oz. L.A. schlitz zip in the book.

2. The Natty Bo at the bottom left is a Balt can like 96-40 - except the stamp center absolutely does not match up - the stamp center is like 96 - 33. Any other National guys care to chime in?

3. Hudson House - I'm just confused I can't tell the difference in the book between the two Grace Bro zips. Greg?

4. I have felt for years that the South Bend "red Top" brewery Red Top was a sleeper can. 113-6 X -ref. Not sexy, but you never see this can. Look at the example in the book.

5. 16. Black label from Phoenix - 139-20. It shows the back in the next pic. Mine has the back like 139-28. is this a typo?

6. I wish I had shelved the Swinger test can in time to have it shot for the book. I'm just glad it surfaced after 20+ years in limbo.

A great book, a great reference guide, and a legacy to Kevin B. and Tom H. I thank you again for your service to our hobby.

FRJ

Fred Johnson
Deceased
Deceased
BCCA Number: 22874
eBay name: diggins66
Zodiac:

Post by Fred Johnson »

Frankenmuth from Associated brewing co. South Bend, IN. Only one I have ever seen.

"We used to call political correctness respect"

FRJ
Attachments
FrankenBock.jpg
Where is the Evansville "promise kept" can ?
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Heres 2 Burgies from Schlitz that did not make the cut

the one on the left is like USBC 2 51-27 but SCHLITZ not Burgermeister brewing

the one on the right is like USBC 2 51-23 which is listed as Schlitz but this is 2 cities SF and LA , this can is also shiny gold and not an enamel gold

out

Dan
Last edited by CMD on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

The metallic gold version of the Detroit Altes tab
isn't in the book would go right after 33/07 and before 33/08.
There are at least 2 different variations of this tab too.
The 33/06 zip resides in several Michigan collections on-grade...
.not sure why a dumper was pictured since I know Randy and I both offered ours...

Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Re: LIST AND PICS of cans NOT in USBC II

Post by Longhorn Mike »

Here are my Hamm's Texas cans. The message can (with the gold trees), the Draft, the straight steel and three minor variation aluminum cans. They only show one can from Houston, an aluminum Beer.

- Mike
Attachments
hamm1.jpg
hamm2.jpg

Iron Guts Union #21
[
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

Here are two more that are missing from the book. They look quite harmless at first, but they are hard to find variations from Honolulu. They are mid 70's straight steel Schlitz cans with a UPC. The brewing location is identified with the dot over the brewing city of Honolulu. Hawaii cans also have the Dole can company "pineapple" symbol at the seam.

Of course, every tourist returned from Hawaii with Primo cans but who brought back Schlitz or Schlitz Light? I assume distribution was in Hawaii only, or possibly to points north and west of HI. It would make sense that these were shipped to Alaska and US possessions such as Guam, Midway and Samoa, as well as US bases in the Phillipines and Vietnam.

- Mike
Attachments
ShlitzTall1.jpg
Schlitztall2.jpg

Iron Guts Union #21
[
Paul Nelson
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2000
United States of America

Post by Paul Nelson »

After a quick run through of the book, here are some cans I found to not be in there. The Apple Beer I don't know if that counts as a beer can or not. The Zing has nonalcoholic at the top. The Alpine is by Huber in Monroe. I tried to get this one in the book, but they didn't want it :?: I think they thought it was a misprint or something. The Blatz is the real head-scratchter. It is an all aluminum can, from Pabst in Milwaukee and has the same mandatory and side seam verbage as the same vintage flat (copyright 1952 and union made). The interesting thing is the opposite side seam with the Reynolds all aluminum can info. I didn't have this can when book pictures were being taken. Also, if anyone is counting, I have one of those 81 Beer cans as well.

Paul Nelson

Attachments
DSC00540.jpg
DSC00540.jpg (149.25 KiB) Viewed 14666 times
Blatz.jpg
Wisconsin collector plus anything else that's cool looking.
Gluek-Beer-Dave
Cone Top
Cone Top
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by Gluek-Beer-Dave »

Here are a few that I've come across. I just walked around my collection and pulled cans off the walls to photograph. Makes me realize I need to do a bit of cleaning before I put some of these on the shelves.
dp
Note the oz next to the 16
Two variations of this missed color combo.
Booring but missed...
Missed the OS Light version.
Missed from this brewery... also a major variation with St Paul the only city listed on the main label.
The Kegel Brau on the right is bronze.
Blue Lion Hamms.
Missed Brewer for Cold Brau.
Blatz mistake can with Heileman missing the second "e".
Burgie with out the "brewed at" statement. I know I'm alone in this, but it's one of my favorite cans. Anyone have a 16 oz'er for sale?
I'll put my test cans in a different post
dp
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

Are some of those newer variations (Oly, Old Style Light, Kingbury) in the ABC book? You are right about the Cold Brau. I have the Associated version in my collection, too.

- Mike

Iron Guts Union #21
[
elpasorick
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by elpasorick »

Here is one that is not in the USBC or the USBC II books.

I was lucky to get it on ebay a year or so ago. It is a legitimate can, that should be labeled as a definate test.

I WISH ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY 2008 :hello1: :smt114 :smt111 :reindeer: :santa:
Attachments
Lone Star.jpg
Lone Star.jpg (114.94 KiB) Viewed 14631 times
The buying and selling of beer stuff is important at any beer show, but it is the people and the conversations that will stay with us forever
elpasorick
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by elpasorick »

This is the 12 1/4 oz. can, that came out in late 70's and Early 80's. I have in the vicinity of 5 different Schlitz variations in both 12 and 16 1/4 ounce size, along with 3 different Old Milwaukee 12 1/4 oz. size. I believe these are getting harder to find as time goes on. If anyone has a variation that you think might be different. E-mail me and let us compare.

One important item i left out is that according to strong sources, these were only sold in the state of New Mexico. :smt028
Attachments
IM000866.jpg
The buying and selling of beer stuff is important at any beer show, but it is the people and the conversations that will stay with us forever
Colin S.
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 84
BCCA Number: 24860
eBay name: agavesloth
Year Started Collecting: 1981

Post by Colin S. »

Here's one. I know it's hard to believe that such a rare, valuable. desireable, and flat-out sexy can would not be included. Arguably the most sexiest of all the Walter's pulls. From The Walter Brewing CO. Pueblo, Colo. 81002
Walter's 12oz..JPG
El Basurero
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kruegerbock »

I've spent quite a few hours looking at my cans and the book, and it only gives me a greater appreciation for the work that the authors and photographers put into it. I have determined that I'm not particularly good at figuring out whether a can I have is in the book, and if it is not if it should have been in the case of aluminum cans. I have instances when I have a ring pull can that the book says on comes in zip top only, or I have a crimped AL can where the book says no crimp, but I won't bore you with those.

A list of what I think I've found so far that is worthy of mention:

86-28 Krueger Ale. I have one can with metallic gold bands and another with enamel gold bands.

33-13 Ambassador. I have a zip top that looks like the one in the book and a ring top that appears to have more blue in the label.

43-26 Blatz. I do not have the pictured can (from Sheboygan, WI), but I have cans that look similar from Newport, KY and La Crosse, WI.

51-27 Burgermeister. I have that can, plus a 1970 metallic version from Burgermeister in SF.

41-03 Carling Black Label from Atlanta. Mine does not have "from Carling" in the red label.

41-24 Carling Black Label. Mine is from Natick, MA.

59-39 Du Bois. I have one of these "Tomato paste" red cans that has "Extra Fine" on the front label.

66-03 Fox Head Bock. I have this can from Sheboygan, WI.

76-39 Holihan's. I have the one pictured from New Haven CT and one from Lawrence, MA.

That's as far as I've gotten. Looking at the entries above, I have one of the Hamms cans from Houston. I also have a strange Frankenmuth Bock - it is crimped steel rather than SS.

Will attempt to provide pics if anyone is interested. Have a few thousand more cans to get through as well.

Cheers!
-Al Aprea
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

Here's a couple more...
Attachments
The Schlitz Malt Liquor is an aluminum version of the 1970's can from Milwaukee.  Last time I saw Dan Baker, he had another in his totes.
The Schlitz Malt Liquor is an aluminum version of the 1970's can from Milwaukee. Last time I saw Dan Baker, he had another in his totes.
The Strohs is a zip top version of the 1-face flat top (with the story panel on the back).  This dumper is bottom opened with a West Virginia tax stamp on the bottom lid.  I picked this one up off Ebay last year as did Robert Fondren, who can also speak to the authenticity.
The Strohs is a zip top version of the 1-face flat top (with the story panel on the back). This dumper is bottom opened with a West Virginia tax stamp on the bottom lid. I picked this one up off Ebay last year as did Robert Fondren, who can also speak to the authenticity.

16 oz collector
Flat Top
Flat Top
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by 16 oz collector »

heres a 16 oz not listed....old german by colonial.... does anyone have a narragansett flip top 16 oz in grade 2 or better
for sale or trade?...
jwcans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 833
BCCA Number: 28744
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Zodiac:
Argentina

Post by jwcans »

Here is the straight steel tall version of the 7 ounce rolling Rock. This can was sold on Ebay around 4 months ago. First one I have ever seen. Although I did not win the can. Does appear to be something odd about it as well. Beercanpete may be able to provide some other details.
Scott Rollert
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 126
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Scott Rollert »

Here are some Coors test cans not shown in the test can section. The other set of cans are pix of true can company test cans, acquired from the guy I got the 32 oz. Coors from.
Attachments
Coors test cans not shown in USBC II.
Coors test cans not shown in USBC II.
DSC00380.jpg
These are Continental Can Company test cans. Used as prototypes to test new can ideas.
These are Continental Can Company test cans. Used as prototypes to test new can ideas.
DSC00382.jpg
Note the Schmidt lid. This is the rocket bottom can.
Note the Schmidt lid. This is the rocket bottom can.
The date on the contoured test can.
The date on the contoured test can.
The can on the right was made by the machine that did the contoured Pabst, Miller & Hamms cans.
The can on the right was made by the machine that did the contoured Pabst, Miller & Hamms cans.
The federal tax code is 10 times bigger than the Bible with none of the good news
Brewed in the Heart of the Snowclad Rockies
Looking for Lucky Lager with the date 2-3-58. Will trade heavy for one...
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by elpasorick »

Scott Rollert wrote:Here are some Coors test cans not shown in the test can section. The other set of cans are pix of true can company test cans, acquired from the guy I got the 32 oz. Coors from.
Hello Scott, The cans are pretty cool. Are thy paper label or are they actual canning line production cans?

:roll: :lol: :?:
jwcans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 833
BCCA Number: 28744
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Zodiac:
Argentina

Post by jwcans »

Here we have another version of the Beer # cans. This is obviously an unlisted version. Maybe even more interesting about this one is it is drawn steel, but has a " lIft Ring " straight steel type top. I can't remember another example of the combination. I would like to buy or trade for any other cans from this group of what I belive is 81-89. Please let me know if you have one available

halfquart
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Number: 15584
eBay name: half-quart
Year Started Collecting: 1970
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by halfquart »

Is this can in the book and I just missed it?
Attachments
P1010009.JPG
Hafa Adi ! - halfquart
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

Nope. I too noticed the National Extra was not in the regular section so I figured it would be in the test can section (since all of them are air sealed). Not there either.

I have sold a few of them in the $15 range over the past few years.

- Mike

Iron Guts Union #21
[
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 756
BCCA Number: 29308
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldcrowncollector »

Here is the Old Crown beer zip with "crownie" I still say one in book is not this can but the common pull tab.Also I posted a can I got from Leroy that is yellow trimmed and he dumped it himself it was face down so ground protected this side other side is faded.

I also have a newer pull tab version of Old Crown beer also yellow trimmed and will post that pic soon.
Anybody else seen this version? these are not faded cans
Oldcrowncollector
Sell me your Centlivre bottles
Beverlx
RB Treasurer
RB Treasurer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 677
BCCA Number: 18483
eBay name: beverlx
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Beverlx »

Playing with tabs tonight, and two cans popped out. Had both for just about 30 years.

1. A Colt 45 Stout Malt Liquor from Baltimore. None shown. Comparable to 55-40, Phoenix.

2. A Heidelberg like 74-33 or -36, but from Cleveland.

Hell of a good book, nonetheless.
alf beer
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by alf beer »

I like zips, and have seen a Jennings zip like USBC 86-30, and a Baltimore Hamm's blue half quart zip like a silver-trimmed 230-18 (with beer in it!) They do exist.

:cool:
Attachments
FSFBIR.jpg
Trust a few; do wrong to none....
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Australia

Post by menke »

Finally last night sifted through my book and a couple recent collection pick-ups along with my own stuff, and found a number of cans missing, either from my own shelf or the book. Most are minor tab or mandatory differences that I keep only when they drop in my lap. One that jumped out at me was this sweetie pie:
ImageImage
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Archived Topics”