Detector????

Informational Topics that are no longer on the first few pages.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

jomama
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 184
BCCA Number: 23423
eBay name: sPouts
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Detector????

Post by jomama »

I'd like to get a good metal detector - any info from the experts would be helpful. I'm new to detecting and know nothing about them. I've heard that the (Goldbug) is the best but the new Goldbug II is not so good. I have no idea where to get one either. All pros + cons welcome. Please help!!! - Jo............

International ALUMINUM BOTTLES WANTED
Bob DeCamp
Flat Top
Flat Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 13308
eBay name: wheezerwoodworks
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Bob DeCamp »

The old Gold Bug operates at 19 kHz and the Gold Bug II at 71 kHz. That is why the old Gold Bug is preffered by gold prospectors as well. Some other good choices would be:

Tesoro Lobo Super Trac, 17.5 kHz
Garrett Scorpion, 15 kHz
and if money is no object a Minelab GPX 4000 will find a single can at 4+ feet! (I thought is was a big nuggett but turned out to be a Pabst no opener needed buried in a sand wash)

Hope this helps!

Bob
:smt028
jomama
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jomama »

Thanks Bob!!! I have been only able to find Gold Bud2s on ebay - any other place(s) I might look? Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places on ebay?

Bob DeCamp
Flat Top
Flat Top
BCCA Number: 13308
eBay name: wheezerwoodworks
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Bob DeCamp »

Try your local prospecting stores, or contact Walter Evans at Mining and More (760) 948-3333 He often gets used detectors that come with a warranty.

Good Luck!
:smt028
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

Hey John, This has been discussed at length here. If you use the search function at the top right you can find the threads you are looking for. You might find this one usefull.

http://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB2/vie ... +detectors

Jim
greenmon
Cone Top
Cone Top
BCCA Number: 25797
eBay name: greenmon

Post by greenmon »

Gold bugs seem to be available on ebay almost all the time. It should not be long before one goes up for auction. You should be able to purchase a decent one for $350 - $400
Vince
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 11770
Year Started Collecting: 1969
United States of America

Post by Vince »

This subject comes up again and again. The thing is there is about 6 manufactures of metal detectors. Each make about 12 models and have changes those models about 6 times in the past 20 years. That means there is about 500 different metal detectors out there. (6 x 12 x 6 = 432).

The thing is to say that the Gold Bug is the best is laughable. Why? I doubt that our small group has tested even a tiny fraction of the available detectors available. Yes the Gold Bug works and those who have used have found cans. But to say "it's the best" is when our club has used but a tiny portion of the available models is quite rediculous.

The reason people choose the Gold Bug is because of click mentality that persists in the RB. You know, it's like saying "if you don't wear a black leather jacket, then you can't be in our group" mentality. And portions of our club are very clicky indeed.

To say the Gold Bug is the best, also assumes that no improvements have been made in metal detector technology in the past 20 years. And anyone who browses metal detector web sites and reads detector magazines can attest there have been mountains of improvements since the Gold Bug was introduced twenty years ago.

The question should be asked, "Why don't the top guys in the metal detector magazines use a Gold Bug if it's so damn good?" Hmm???

I've found it doesn't take much of a metal detector to find a pit. It's more in the technique and where you go than what detector you use. With a descent detector and good places to hunt, you can find pits of cans. A pit of cans contains quite a mass of metal and is an easy target for about any detector.

If your really have to have a Gold Bug, so be it. But, be aware, our club knows so little about the available detectors it not even funny. I'd join a local detector club and get the real scoop. Then you can go in group hunts with the metal detector club and try a variety of models.

Just my opinion.

Vince
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

..........The question should be asked, "Why don't the top guys in the metal detector magazines use a Gold Bug if it's so damn good?" Hmm??? .............

Just an uneducated guess but im thinking its because they arent looking for steel beer cans but rather coins and jewlery....... :idea:
mike
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Bob L
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 121
BCCA Number: 25030
eBay name: bnglavelle
Zodiac:

Post by Bob L »

Vince,

You seem to be able to disagree with virtually everything stated on this board at one time or another. But, do you agree with this at least? Whether it's a Gold Bug or not, the preferred detector for locating pits is one that has a "no motion" mode (sings continuously over a target without the need to be in motion).
Ross in Humboldt
Cone Top
Cone Top
BCCA Number: 30873
Year Started Collecting: 1977

Post by Ross in Humboldt »

Jomama:

I don't know if the Gold Bug is the best, but it certainly works very well in find pits of cans. Good pre-trip planning to get in a likely spot is key too. As far as the RBers being cliqueish about the Gold Bugs, I'm not buying it. A couple of years I asked a similar question, followed the majority's advice, got a used Gold Bug on ebay and it has worked great. I'd like to think the wide use of Gold Bugs is because they worked well for earlier dumpers who recommended them to others, who in turn had good success, who then made recommendations, etc, etc, etc.

A fishing analogy would be last year I fished a new place - Lake Heenan for Lahontan cutthroat. I did OK the first day, two fish on and landed one. That afternoon I asked a few guys in the parking area how they did - one nailed that crap out of them and showed me the lures he was using - a box of mostly Castmasters and a few Blue Fox spinners........BUT all brass, no other colors. He said he'd fished Heenan for 10+ years and over trial-and-error ended up with his limited choice of lures. I could have thought, "well he's just a brass-colored Castmaster snob" instead I went into town and picked a few up exactly what he had.........well, you can fill in the blank of how much better my success was on day-two.

Happy can hunting!

Ross
poloponies58
Flat Top
Flat Top
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by poloponies58 »

Just like jomama I would also like to purchase a detector. While everyone who posted above had some points to take into consideration, I and I would imagine jomama still have not heard the answer we were looking for. I must ask these questions : Has anybody attempted to get some of the top industry men to address this on our site ? Magazine people or Manufacturers ? What would be the detecting recommendation if most of the time detecting would be done in the Midwest ? Why is the Minelab version the choice if money doesnt matter ? Can some sort of extension be purchased for detecting 4 to 6 feet underwater ? I would just like to see some sort of concensus out here. Personally, yes I would like to get a good value, however, because I am neither 20 years old, retired or unemployed TIME does matter and if I go detecting I would like to think I have the right tool for the right job. I have no idea what a kHz is , nor do I care to learn. We are asking what time it is, not how to build a clock ? Vince MAY have made a point that if a handful of oldtimers bought Goldbug and the sheep followed...that it doesnt necessarily mean Goldbug is the one and only one to buy ! Dont mean to preach...but I would like some expert in the field to post something here and put an end to this never ending discussion. The mass is ended ...go in peace !! lol
Looking for flats I need and items from Star Union, Peru Products, Hebels, L. Eliel
rick78
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 741
BCCA Number: 5887
eBay name: onenicepair
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by rick78 »

If someone wants to invite me to pit dig in CA, WA or UP wherever, I'll take my White's Prism and test it out next to a Gold Bug so we can get some consistant side-by-side testing going on. I doubt treasurenet or jimmy sierra or kellyco will be much help in recomending a metal detector to locate rusty cans. Our idea of "treasure" is different than theirs.
josh
Thread Killer
Thread Killer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 357
BCCA Number: 0
Mexico

Post by josh »

My input for the folks with the questions is as follows: The top industry men and women in the field of metal detecting for beer cans are us. No rep from any company could possibly have more insight than we, the active metal detector using collectors. I would put forth that we ARE a metal detecting club and this forum must be the hands down best place on Earth for information on metal detecting for old beer cans previously discarded in or on the ground. There are many detectors and multiple choices as to which one to use. Here on this sight is the most information ever on this subject. My suggestion to a begginer is to search and read all pertinent information on this sight, and make a sound educated guess as to what would work best for you. Unless of coarse you accidentaly meant to post a question on a coin or nugget club forum. Then make the leap and give it a try. Odds are good for all, as metal detectors seek the very substance that early beer cans are made of. Josh.
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Why would anyone not use a GOLD BUG? The results are in and its a proven can and pit finder. Yeah, go listen to some so called expert, spend a lot of money on a different detector and get something that works p*ss poor for finding cans, get discouraged and leave the hobby

Buy what you want ,but you cant go wrong on a proven winner ,
the GOLD BUG

out from the 505 , gotta go dig some black acmes!

dan
Last edited by CMD on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
jomama
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jomama »

Thanks Guys! I didn't mean to open a can-of-worms. Just needed the info + haven't had much time in the past to use this forum. I will definately check out the old posts on this topic. Also will check out the sites offered and keep checking back with eBay.

Ross - Great fishing story! How deep were you fishing and what size Kastmasters? - Jo..

johnintexas
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 32750
Year Started Collecting: 0

Re: Detector????

Post by johnintexas »

jomama wrote:I'd like to get a good metal detector - any info from the experts would be helpful. I'm new to detecting and know nothing about them. I've heard that the (Goldbug) is the best but the new Goldbug II is not so good. I have no idea where to get one either. All pros + cons welcome. Please help!!! - Jo............
Be sure to get the ones that say 30s Cones or Flats in the display :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding Jo ;)

Good luck with the detector!

John B
John B - RB#782
Collecting Rusty Texas & Southern Cans. Also collecting: St Charles/Louis MO and Some PA.
MOST WANTED: Travis & Southern Select "J" Spout
We say grace, we say mamm and if you ain't into that we don't give a damn!
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
United States of America

Post by CMD »

I know Dave Rusk used to use a detector with an analog meter and if it read over 8 or 9 (on a scale of 10) then most times he knew it was 30s cans(heavier metal??)...at least thats what he told me and if youve seen what hes uncovered it would be hard to disagree with that

out

dan
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

The really good detectors will have a switch that changes from O/I to Cones. And the really good ones will even distinguish between the low pro, high pro, j-spout & Even Crowntainer. If you find my old thread or post on the subject you'll see my Detector is Stuck in the Johhny Pfeiffer mode unfortunately :cry: LEON.
Brent Gesland
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 519
BCCA Number: 21117
eBay name: onestuff

Post by Brent Gesland »

Stuck in the Johhny Pfeiffer mode Thats Funny Leon!!
I feel for you man..... :smt030 :smt036 :laughing6:

Later--Brent
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Leon is going to paint his Mopar , Johnny Pfieffer Yellow with the little guy on each door!!!!

LOLOL

out

dan
Vince
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by Vince »

I may not be a "expert." But, I found cans where other "expert" collectors didn't. LOL!!! Only after I found the EXACT spot did they find them there. LOL!!!

All, I'm trying to do is get some of you to think outside the "Gold Bug" box.
There are so many new choices every year.

And in the hobby of metal detecting, there is relic hunting. They don't use a Gold Bug!!! I wonder why???

My detector is FAR from the best. It probably rates below a Gold Bug. But, it works. So, I'm not replacing it right now. But, I think there are better choices and I think some of you guys looking for the best are selling yourself short by settling with the Gold Bug.

Vince
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

Rustmonger wrote:

I don't suggest this "White's" detector model since it only detects large, unburied milk cans. ;)
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Why dont you be the guy who goes out and find something that works better than the gold bug and then report your finding to us

You keep harping about theres better detectors , well bring some proof to the table instead always saying theres better stuff out there and then stating you dont want to spend the $ to find out, if theres something better 'Show us the money"

other detectors will work for finding cans, The orinignal question was what works better than a gold bug.

your picture above proves a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes or vice versa :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

out

dan
Vince
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by Vince »

Did I mention I found the spot where those Black Eagles were WITHOUT a Gold Bug???

Since we're on the subject of what metal detector you MUST have (no exceptions). And, since some are closed minded and insist that ONLY oxalic acid be used. (OR ELSE!!!). And since some INSIST on ONLY one type of spray to preserve cans. And since some make decisions on who can associate with who. What shovel do you INSIST that everyone use??? A Stanley, Ames or Craftsman??? LOL!!!

What brand of jeans MUST you also wear going can digging? Are you going to dictate that too??? LOL!!! What brand of soda must one drink on the trip? What music SHALL be played from the stereo on the trip??? Why don't you answer these questions for us commander!!! LOL!!!

Vince :lol:
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
United States of America

Post by CMD »

:smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt008
Last edited by CMD on Thu May 03, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
rustamust
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 146
BCCA Number: 26408
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:

Post by rustamust »

Here we go again :smt014

Mike

Ps I do use a Gold Bug and love it and its twice as good as my old Bounty Hunter.
Mike

Wanted Old Gibraltar Tivoli, grade 3 or better.
just picked up my most wanted can, 8oz Pikes Peak Stout ML
MikeS29
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 19442
eBay name: michaelsheehan29
Zodiac:
Italy

Post by MikeS29 »

Ummmm.... you have to drink SODA while dumping...??? Forget it, I quit.

:evil:
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

:smt100
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

dink :arrow:
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
beercanman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 327
BCCA Number: 24599
eBay name: www.beercanman.com
Zodiac:
United States of America

Gold Bug on eBay

Post by beercanman »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-M-Scope-Gold ... dZViewItem

An original Gold Bug - brand new - not cheap, though. I've bought a couple on eBay (one for another RBer) and got them for less, but they weren't new.
Steve
-----------------------------
http://www.BeerCanMan.com

"Like" Beercanman on FaceBook - I even have random giveaways! https://www.facebook.com/beercanmandotcom"

Searching for Esslinger Quizzie BOCK variations and upgrades!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Archived Topics”