How do you display your cans?

Informational Topics that are no longer on the first few pages.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Bryan2
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 752
BCCA Number: 19592
eBay name: captainuker
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Bryan2 »

Boardman, I've been building some shelves lately, so here is what I can add. I've been buidling 4' x 4' and 4' x 3' modules, just because I don't have any huge runs of walls available. It actually looks pretty cool, not so overwhelming. Each unit contains a certain specialty of mine. I used standard 1" x 4' s which are actually 3/4" thick. I think the extra thickness is worth it, as you will get some sag going much longer than a 4' run, unless you'll be doing some supports in between. Yes, you can get 17 cans squeezed into a 4' lenghth of shelf, but I prefer a little room between cans to handle them, so I figured 16, but that's your choice. Good luck and keep us updated. It would be cool to see pics as you go along.

Currently in a collecting funk. Waiting for the bug to bite again to get back into collecting some type of cans, on a small, affordable level.
Bryan Shrock
Boardman
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 777
BCCA Number: 4040
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Boardman »

Thanks for the input, I also like the photo by storzman of his shelves (w/ the Metz sign) Dude you must have real tall ceilings! If I find the post, I will try to link the photo to these collections.

Stozman - that wood looks like oak!? I have a good source for mahogany, kinda of a medium dark wood. After all it is a bar, man's room, (we call it the party room). I also like Pokeys shelves, clear - but way too much work to get them to look nice.

I will be putting in some extra plugs along the ceiling for my neons - I like the idea of a separate switch to turn them on at once; also a plug for the light over my pool table. I will also be meeting w/ one of my lighting guys to get an inexpensive fixture to wash some even light over the can displays - on spearate switches. Man with all the elct and switches - that cuts into the dispaly area.

Sounds like a 4' width shelf will work - no one likes the sag; will have to work out the can spacing. I have toyed with the idea of having some of the shelves adjustable, but that means more drilling. May to have some adjustable to make sure that all my little cans (7 -8 oz) get their space.

I do like some neg space between the cans esp if there is some rust nuggets attached to the can. With no can raps - it could do some serious scratching.

Michael
PDX canV 46
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Australia

Post by menke »

Old Mother Hubbard went to her cupboard....to find some quart cones but the brand spanking new shelf was empty!!!! Two pics- my current collection boxed up and then my new quart shelf, will be able to get most of them up all in one spot, 200 if I jam them in there tight. I reused lumber from a collection I bought (thanks Barry!) where the guy insisted I take his shelves, too. He had routed a decorative edge on both sides of each shelf, so I ripped the partycan-sized boards to hold both a row of quarts and a row of small cans and each will have a routed edge facing out. Went to some trouble to keep them straight and level and put screws through the backing to keep the 8' run from sagging in the middle. The 1/4 inch plywood backing will double as my vapor barrier, the whole thing sits about two inches away from the block wall, open at the sides and bottom. Because the guy had used wood stain, I figured latex paint wouldn't stick to it so I got slate (battleship!) gray stain to cover the whole thing, doesn't look half bad and it won't show dust. Now, you all just gotta stop by to see them when they're full!!! I'll do a fancier job on the smaller sections of shelving I'm planning for the lil cans. Hey Dan- remember the light green pipe at the top of the photo?
MarkB
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 547
BCCA Number: 13056
eBay name: redsfan323
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:

Post by MarkB »

Matt, what's in the blue bread flats, colelction or traders?

MarkB
My Heurich biography! http://www.rustycans.com/BOOK.htm
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Australia

Post by menke »

Sorry Mark, that's all collection in the potato roll trays. I do have trade stock which I plan to have laid out on the next can night... and I will be weeding out some more NE stuff as soon as I can make the shelves for the little cans and see what actually fits. And the 150+ MD tabs might go away as well but I probably won't decide that until the book comes out. See how close I am...maybe establish that some are worth a buck rather than a dime...and not feel guilt tossing mine once there is a complete picture guide out there. I wonder how many of the oldtime Baltimore guys have full tab collections?
cansnatcher
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 3380
eBay name: cansnatcher
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by cansnatcher »

My can shelves are in, and close to being filled. I went with glass shelves as I like the way they disappear from the view. They also let light thru, which enhances the edge views.

I put two cases over my bar that each hold about 50 cans and one more in my office that will hold about 80 cans. They are both wood cases with glass doors. In my office I have an old oak mantel (3 sided) that has a shelf for chalks, etc on top.

Pix to come- within the next week or two!
What are the most common final words of a redneck? "Hold my beer...Watch this."
blake
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 9148
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by blake »

Can't wait to see the pictures. Do you have the 180 cans to fill the displays? I seam to remember that you were limiting yourself to 100 cans.
bodean
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 1
United States of America

Re: How do you display your cans?

Post by bodean »

I searched and couldn't find the thread I was looking for so I thought I'd light this one up. Wow - lots of good stuff in this old thread!

Spent most of the afternoon rearranging stuff in this room. It's my can room but I'm not really showing off cans. My dad built this hutch about 25-30 years ago and displayed the heirloom china in it. I didn't care much for the china but my niece did, and I got to bring the hutch home with me. My dad was an accomplished furniture builder and this cabinet is made from solid cherry wood. I put some of my favorite stuff in it and thought I'd share. In case you're wondering... it takes about 3 glasses of Wild Turkey to make this cabinet cool with old breweriana. :mrgreen:
hutch1.gif
hutch.gif
Yes, that is orange carpet from 1972 and the popcorn ceiling still has the gold sprinkles in it. When the house was remodeled we did not touch this room. Kinda cool to enjoy the past....
We have art to decorate our spaces. We have music to decorate our time. - Mom
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Damn. Just 3! Looks great. Wonder what 5 would have produced🤪
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
jacoby4664
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 373
eBay name: JACOBY4664
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jacoby4664 »

My frame displays happened out of necessity. My wife had an antique, seems like concrete, frame that weighs about 200 plus pounds. I was constantly having to move it. One day the light went on, and I said to myself……Beercans!!!
Attachments
IMG_2014.jpeg
IMG_2016.jpeg
Collector of Brewerania Since 1968
William A. Jacoby
107 Lake Forest Drive
St Louis, MO 63117
william.a.jacoby@gmail.com
314-753-0616
BCCA# 373
bodean
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 1
United States of America

Post by bodean »

Awesome collection jacoby and a very resourceful use of some nice looking frames.
We have art to decorate our spaces. We have music to decorate our time. - Mom
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Archived Topics”