Who made the Class OI can?

Informational Topics that are no longer on the first few pages.

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Which brewery did the Class beer can come from?

Manhattan
48%
Poths
19%
Other
33%

Total votes: 21

Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Who made the Class OI can?

Post by Cap-Sealed »

Which brewery did the Class can come from? And why do you think so?

Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
DOGG
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by DOGG »

class and nachod brg philly ------------ that is what the can says deffinately not manhatten could be poths came from that region
ON THE 8TH DAY GOD CREATED BEER
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

Didn't Poth's buy out Class & Nachod? It seems Lilek had a blurb about that in his book, but my detail retention is flagging these days.

Must be the mercury levels in Lake Michigan...
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

BCCA-OI - page 183 wrote: Class Pilsner Beer. Circa: 1936. This American Can Company, 12 ounce container, lists Patents Pending and was filled for the Class and Nachod Brewing Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The author was not able to locate any records validating the distribution of this package design. His conversation with Poth Family member's, the family that purchased The Class & Nachod Brewing Company in 1936, only verified that this brand was distributed in bottles and on draught in the Philadelphia area in 1936. They believe this package design was intended for distribution but was cancelled due to the pending sale of the brewery, as the Poth Brewing Company did not assume ownership of this brand. This beer can is believed to have originally been part of the Poth Family collection and was given to a local collector in the late 1950's. The can has since been either traded or sold at least two times since then. This Grade 1 example is the only example known to the author, and is believed to be unique.. Rarity Rating: R10
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
cherrypickermark
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Year Started Collecting: 1980

Post by cherrypickermark »

Hey Rand,
Do you (or anybody else) have any articles relating to Tiger beer, it's roots, history, etc?

I read something on another forum about the Rusty Group several years ago going on a trip to locate the can, was an excellent read... just wondering if theres any info on it out there.
-cherrypickermark
A Rosalie by any other name would be worth chit.
Rustmonger
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 291
BCCA Number: 29079
eBay name: 12Horse
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:

Post by Rustmonger »

FYI- might want to get permission before you post that stuff. Kevin would probably be cool with it but.......... :?:
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

Lots of interesting angles and questions posed there. Looking through the old copyright and patent records would probably be a good course of action and may yield some results, although like the "Manhattan" cans themselves, those results may remain inconclusive. I think it's still disputed just how much influence the Chicago rackets actually had over these different breweries, not all of which were fictitious. In the case of Food City, for instance, they were a legitimate Battle Creek brewery. I doubt they ever canned anything at that location, begging the question as to why their name popped up on the assumedly Chicago-issued Old Gold O/I from that era. If the common lore is any guide, there may very well have been some degree of mob muscle behind little details like that. I always guessed - without much solid information - that the connection (if any) was probably something along these lines: "Hey there, Mr. Food City boss. Call me Vito, and this is my associate, Carlo the Hammer. Listen, we've come to offer you an opportunity to get your name seen outside of this little cow town - you know, some extra exposure for you. All we'd need to do is use your name on some products from our organization, you know...it'll be our little business arrangement. In return for your blessing, Carlo here will refrain from blowing you and your fancy mahogany desk full of holes...know what I'm sayin'? Good, beautiful, it's all arranged, then. You're a wise fellow, yes?" [grinning and gently patting Mr. Food City on the cheek.]

In truth, though, it's tough to infer much about what really did go on. Rich LaSusa is the hobby's resident expert on Manhattan, and he seems to contend that there's little reliable evidence of mob influence at all. Then again, wiseguys like Capone and Detroit's Purple Gang were pretty good about covering their tracks. A lot of those details will have been lost to the ages, regardless of where one goes to obtain information.

I'm no Pennsylvania brewery buff, but I've never heard anything to indicate that Class & Nachod was anything other than a legitimate brewery. That doesn't mean that there was no connection - however brief - between that brewery and the fellas in the Valentino suits...but as the poll results here indicate, none of the nine participants seem to have much consensus.

Also - U permits, while legally mandated, were still a little spotty. There are a host of other Patent Pending and Patents Pending flats that never carried a permit number (Krueger included), while others (Hop Gold and a later version of the red Miller O/I, for instance) carried the permits right into their Others Pending labels. Grain Belt, while not a flattop, had a U-Permit on all of their black cones...and that general design was used through at least 1940. Point being, the permits are a fairly reliable indicator of '33 - '36 vintage labels, but not a flawless one.

I'm a skeptic, and I doubt that any of us will ever conclusively nail down the connection between Manhattan and all those other little breweries. Theories abound, evidence is lacking. Fun stuff to consider, though.
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

HERMAN IS BACK! A FORCE TO BE RECOKENED WITH !
KMA_367
ED S
Calcans@aol.com
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

PreWar wrote:Also, do you or anyone have the any of the first three Black Eagle cans with Class & Nachod listed as the brewing Co? I am curious what can plant number is listed (small number lower left of seam)
I have a Lilek 117....2 panel Class & Nachods. Looks like the symbol is 68-A Bowtie.

Here are some pictures:

Rand :smile:

Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

Ok - here's the Class label Herman wants to see:

Also, I have both the PATENT PENDING (so much for unique as stated in Kev's book) & PATENTS PENDING Black Eagle cans - the side panels are identical the the Manhattan Beer 4-panel OI - Why in the world, would Class N., if their canning line did exsist, have Manhattan make Black Eagles but go elsewhere for the Class??? Dosn't make sense.

BTW - I love this label and who needs to spend $100K for the can - this is the next best thing! And what in the hell is Ambrosia doing brewing Class beer???? Too strong of a Chicago connection to have come from PA.
KMA_367
ED S
Calcans@aol.com
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased
BCCA Number: 8053
eBay name: ozarkridgerunner

Post by ozarkridgerunner »

Here's a Class SPARKLING ALE with PA.U.365. This certainly suggests the Ale brand was bottled at the PA brewery - especially since those right coasters love their Ale :) I agree with Ed, spend $10 for the label instead of $100K for the can! That flapper chick was the model for the hands on the 4 panel! - No Sienfield jokes please. Adios. Paul

Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

No Reg or Trademark on my label. There's a rubbed mark right where the can co info is on my PatenT Pending - but it looks like a 6, a space or rubbed out, next to an A. The PatentS pending also has a rust spot right where I need to look.
KMA_367
ED S
Calcans@aol.com
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

so many posts came in while I was typing this, I hope I don't say something overly redundant.

Ed - that is a very, very cool label. The top of the picture is sort of washed out due to glare off the plastic...is there a permit printed under there somewhere that I can't make out? GREAT label!

I'm definitely on the bandwagon believing that Manhattan and Class were strongly connected, by the way. Nothing less than completely obvious. I also tend to believe that American most likely mocked up the Class can for proofing by C&N, perhaps in contemplation of some distribution/royalty rights deal legitimately underwritten by Manhattan. C&N may simply have been consumed by Poth's before such a deal ever got off the ground. I only tend to downplay the "syndicate scenario" as I did before because Manhattan, being located right in the heart of the nastiest knot of train tracks, roads and waterways this end of the solar system, had such ready-made access to a national distribution network. I wonder that wasn't the real method behind Manhattan's madness, irrespective of any mob influence that may have existed. What a post-Pro money card they could have played...brewing, packaging, and distribution for hire. Sort of like an antique twist on a more modern theme: A-B opening their distribution network to craft brewers. Getting fat off the competition, as it were.

Whether it was the Pacific northwest, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Louisiana, or wherever, Manhattan's products certainly "got around." Did they capitalize on their distribution potential, kicking up business in sparsely populated locales with limited competition from other brewers? If so, they'd have been tailor-made for symbiotic relationships with little breweries like C&N, Food City, Ambrosia, and the like. Furthermore, it's been common throughout post-Prohibition brewing history to produce, package, and distribute using a D/B/A. A good example that leaps to mind would be Associated owning the brand rights for Drewry's, Schmidt (Detroit), Jacob Schmidt, Pfeiffer, and others...using those brewery names on their labels instead of their own. Legal and legit. In fact, it would have been a smooth and productive business maneuver in the competitive post-Pro era to employ a strategy like that.

Absent any more real information, I've always sort of accepted this as the most plausible explanation for who and what Manhattan probably was. To bring that back around to the original poll question, I'm definitely behind the Class-Manhattan connection although I think a change of ownership probably put a halt to any distribution deal C&N may have considered making with Manhattan. The only question that remains for me: where were they planning to ship those Class cans?

And, are we absolutely certain they never did?

This has been a cool thread. Love that Class label...love it!
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

cansnatcher
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 3380
eBay name: cansnatcher
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by cansnatcher »

Can I change my vote? :neutral:
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

Maybe Rich La Susa will get his Chicago book out soon? The answers may be in there!
KMA_367
ED S
Calcans@aol.com
Vince
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 11770
Year Started Collecting: 1969
United States of America

Post by Vince »

Is there any evendence that the Class Can may have been produced FOR Class and Nachod?

A lot of breweries brewed and canned for other breweries. For example, a smaller brewery may not have had a canning line. So, they contracted a larger brewer to can beer in their name. Case in point, Oldstyle was brewed FOR Silver Springs by a brewer in Oregon.

Suppose the Class can was made for Class, but canned by Poth's or Manhattan, then distributed by them. And, suppose Class didn't sell that well, but, Black Eagle did. So when the brewery went under, Manhattan kept the good brand going and dumped the slug brand, Class.

Also, examining the can close up, could it be a mock up? You know, like the Five'O Clock Club can by Gettleman?

Vince
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Hey PAul

can you post a pix of your abc label by manhattan?

out

dan
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Steve A
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 378
BCCA Number: 26414
eBay name: nickkessler
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Steve A »

I too have a Class beer label, it's exactly like the Ale that Ozarkridgerunner posted except mine is for Bock Beer. I can post a picture if anybody wants to see it.
Collector of all Montana and Idaho breweriana, US flats (especially bock), low profile cones and bock beer labels.
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased
BCCA Number: 8053
eBay name: ozarkridgerunner

Post by ozarkridgerunner »

Hey Dan - Definately a freaky label:
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 918
BCCA Number: 12507
eBay name: sweeperman10
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Who made the Class OI can?

Post by Sweeperman »

a picture of the brewery sign on the building taken at the Valley Forge canvention
class (3).JPG
sweeperman /// Collector of Kentucky cans....
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re:

Post by mtracy64 »

Cap-Sealed wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:01 pm No Reg or Trademark on my label. There's a rubbed mark right where the can co info is on my PatenT Pending - but it looks like a 6, a space or rubbed out, next to an A. The PatentS pending also has a rust spot right where I need to look.
My Patent Pending Black Eagle has 68 AX.

20221001_205120.jpg
Dammit Jim!
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1424
BCCA Number: 15476
United States of America

Re: Who made the Class OI can?

Post by Dammit Jim! »

That's not an 'X', its an American Can "bow-tie" with one end open date code that indicates 1936
datecode.JPG
datecode.JPG (16.28 KiB) Viewed 8316 times
Jim Peterson

"One man's hoard is another man's... hoard"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Archived Topics”