10 oz cans

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

10 oz cans

Post by Mike S »

To keep me from going page by page looking in the book how many 10oz cans are there? Not counting minor variations...
Off the top of my head i have these, any others?
Bud, squat and skinny
miller
pabst, 2 diff i think
schlitz
5 star
tru blue j spouts

Not a big tab guy and can only think of one. Just counting SS tabs, no crimps or aluminum
India

mike

crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Rockbob
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 824
BCCA Number: 30760
eBay name: rockbobford
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: 10 oz cans

Post by Rockbob »

This one too.
Attachments
jax007.jpg
jax007.jpg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
RockBob, Rocko, Rockford Bob, Pinhead
Collector of all things from Chicago and cans I dig
Ironguts Union #11
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 6557
eBay name: californiaflatcollec
Zodiac:

Post by 333 »

Blatz USBC 17-39
7 to 12oz. California flat tops, all other 7 and 8oz. flats, some 12oz. set flats like Schmidt, Drewrys, Rainier Jubilee...especially the Jubilees!...gotta love them Jubes!

Favorite saying: Opinions are like rear ends----everybody has one and they all stink!

When you do business with me DON'T treat me like a mushroom----keep me in the dark and feed me sh**!

Sometimes I'm talkin' and nobody's hearin' me...makes me feel like a sparrow fart in a typhoon!
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use

Post by Scott »

A-1 and Burgermeister are a couple that come to mind.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:

Post by 333 »

I know you said Schlitz. I think they have 5 or 6.
7 to 12oz. California flat tops, all other 7 and 8oz. flats, some 12oz. set flats like Schmidt, Drewrys, Rainier Jubilee...especially the Jubilees!...gotta love them Jubes!

Favorite saying: Opinions are like rear ends----everybody has one and they all stink!

When you do business with me DON'T treat me like a mushroom----keep me in the dark and feed me sh**!

Sometimes I'm talkin' and nobody's hearin' me...makes me feel like a sparrow fart in a typhoon!
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:

Post by 333 »

Falstaff USBC 62-3

Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:

Post by 333 »

I think Busch has one too.

Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Looks like a lot more than i thought! Falstaff i should have remembered :smt021 well i think im going to expand on my small can collection a little bit being there is enough for a display..
mike
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
Small Can Glory
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: 515
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:

Post by Small Can Glory »

Yes... There's quite a few... Here are the flat top and SS brands that I am aware of...

A-1
Blatz
Bud - Many
Burgermeister
Busch - at least 3
Colt 45 - at least 2
Dixie 45
Encore
Fabasher Brau - at least 2
Falstaff - at least 2
5 Star
Jax - at least 3
Miller - Many
Old Milwaukee - at least 2
Pabst - Many
Schaefer - at least 3
Schlitz - Many
Tru Blue - 2
Tuborg

There are quite a few Puerto Rico 10oz SS's as well, if you want to go there. Some of them are pretty cool looking.
Out of my brain on the 515!
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use

Post by Scott »

So how many of these would be considered rare? The Burgie is next to impossible and I suspect the Tru-Blu's and 5 Star are up there as well. I've seen a few 5 Stars over the years though so it may not be on the same level as the others. The squat Bud and A-1 are tough but obtainable, how about some of the others?

Scott
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
jwcans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 833
BCCA Number: 28744
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Zodiac:
Argentina

Post by jwcans »

Hmmm, I think if the BCCA hooked up with the Canventory software, a click of the mouse would give you a complete listing of all in the book/ books
Small Can Glory
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:

Scott wrote:So how many of these would be considered rare? The Burgie is next to impossible and I suspect the Tru-Blu's and 5 Star are up there as well. I've seen a few 5 Stars over the years though so it may not be on the same level as the others. The squat Bud and A-1 are tough but obtainable, how about some of the others?

Scott
Scott - I would call the Burgie the class of the bunch. And the Tru Blus are of course quite scarce as well, but they can be found as long as condition is not an issue. Same with 5-Star.

There is a squat 10oz Miller Like the Bud and A-1 in the class book of which I've never seen another example. Has anyone else?

All three of the Busch 10oz cans are very tough.

Blatz, and a couple of the Pabst cans are tough and even the Tuborg isn't seen too often.

The rest should be very obtainable, some with a little effort, condition not withstanding.

There was a 10oz India flat top made for Puerto Rico that is very scarce as well.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Small Can Glory wrote:Yes... There's quite a few... Here are the flat top and SS brands that I am aware of...

A-1
Blatz
Bud - Many
Burgermeister
Busch - at least 3
Colt 45 - at least 2
Dixie 45
Encore
Fabasher Brau - at least 2
Falstaff - at least 2
5 Star
Jax - at least 3
Miller - Many
Old Milwaukee - at least 2
Pabst - Many
Schaefer - at least 3
Schlitz - Many
Tru Blue - 2
Tuborg

There are quite a few Puerto Rico 10oz SS's as well, if you want to go there. Some of them are pretty cool looking.
There are quite a few of these I've never heard of. Where else did they sell 10 ounce cans besides Louisiana and Puerto Rico? Got a few questions here, too.

What are the two variations on the Fabacher Brau? I only know of one design for this can.

Are you counting Old Milwaukee Draft as one of the OM 10's? I've got that one, and need to check my wall for others.

I''m guessing that the second Falstaff 10 ounce is the one with the blue stripe on the bottom. I've only found like 3-4 of the gold stripe ones in my years of dumping in southeast Louisiana. The one in my collection is still one of my most-prized cans.

I only know of two 10 ounce Busch cans, and they're both aluminum. They're both pictured in the BCU. What is the third one?

There are three Jax ten ounces I know of: the yellow stripe ft/zip, the one with the big "Fabacher", and the last design with the copper stripe on the bottom face. I've seen plenty of the "blue ribbon" Jax in dumps, but I've never seen a 10 ounce of that version. I don't think they made one, for whatever reason.

Cheap plug: I've got quite a few 10 ounces to trade, newer and old, to trade, including some of the earliest ones. They've been a cornerstone of my collection since day one, and I'm glad to see others here who enjoy them as much as I.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Rust Master
Rust Master
Zodiac:

Post by 333 »

Dixie Dave wrote:I only know of two 10 ounce Busch cans, and they're both aluminum. They're both pictured in the BCU. What is the third one?
USBC 47-24
One of the Busch flats with the black circle. Also says 'Aged Slow-Cold' in a blue band around the bottom.

Small Can Glory
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:

Dixie Dave wrote:There are quite a few of these I've never heard of. Where else did they sell 10 ounce cans besides Louisiana and Puerto Rico? Got a few questions here, too.

What are the two variations on the Fabacher Brau? I only know of one design for this can.

Are you counting Old Milwaukee Draft as one of the OM 10's? I've got that one, and need to check my wall for others.

I''m guessing that the second Falstaff 10 ounce is the one with the blue stripe on the bottom. I've only found like 3-4 of the gold stripe ones in my years of dumping in southeast Louisiana. The one in my collection is still one of my most-prized cans.

I only know of two 10 ounce Busch cans, and they're both aluminum. They're both pictured in the BCU. What is the third one?

There are three Jax ten ounces I know of: the yellow stripe ft/zip, the one with the big "Fabacher", and the last design with the copper stripe on the bottom face. I've seen plenty of the "blue ribbon" Jax in dumps, but I've never seen a 10 ounce of that version. I don't think they made one, for whatever reason.

Cheap plug: I've got quite a few 10 ounces to trade, newer and old, to trade, including some of the earliest ones. They've been a cornerstone of my collection since day one, and I'm glad to see others here who enjoy them as much as I.
Where were they sold? Good question. I'm certain some of these were outside of LA, such as A-1, Burgie, Tru Blu, 5-Star, but as far as I know, LA was the only state that had a legal reason for it.

Fabacher Brau - There is a metallic version and a dull version.

Old Milwaukee - Yes... Draft and non-draft

Falstaff - Blue stripe and Gold stripe

Busch - Aged Slow Cold is one. There is 10oz version of the early 60's design with no circle. Both of those actually held beer. The third did not as far as I know - the red stripe "Tab Top". Only existing examples are rolled. All 3 are very scarce...

Agree on Jax...
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

The 10 oz. Tru Blu J-Spouts usually turn up in Virginia, though I also know of one find in Maryland. I can't add anything else to the discussion, as those are the only 10 oz. cans I collect.

Marc
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

Dixie Dave wrote:
when you get a chance email me a pic of your traders and let me know what you collect.

Wow the list keeps getting bigger, i hope im not creating another monster here!

mike
crimepup518@aol.com

Cantageous
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by Cantageous »

I'm glad to see this discussion.. I've been collecting 10oz flats exclusively for the past year. I have to agree with all that has been said thus far. The Busch 10oz are very hard to come by and I've personall never seen a Blatz 10oz flat. The tall 10oz Bud split label Red White has eluded me though I don't think its very rare. The Burgie 10oz is almost mythical.. I recently picked up a nice A-1 squat and 5 star. The Blue stripe fallstaff was recently on ebay and I missed on that one.. I would lover to trade for some I don't have.. I will try and post a pic of my traders if anyone is interested.

Keith
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 30985
eBay name: pokey-reames
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

Pictures make these posts so much more interesting.

I am STILL looking for a Slow Cold Busch.... Anyone?....Anyone?....Bueller?....Bueller???
“Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire.
Small Can Glory
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:

They don't show up too often, but I thought this one went for a very reasonable price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0381499399

Nice condition on those AB cans, by the way...
Cantageous
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by Cantageous »

I love that Busch 10oz.. Is that a flat?
Also, Great score on the Slow Cold!!
waste-man
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by waste-man »

Isn't there a 4th Busch 10 ounce? Can 53-22 in the new tab top book.
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

Three of the five 10 ounce A-B cans that I have are air sealed (I did not picture the zip top Tab Top in the earlier post). All look factory sealed, too.

waste-man
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust

Post by waste-man »

I have 5 different aluminum Miller High Lifes and 3 different Miller Lites.

I am sure there is more.

MIke
Cantageous
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by Cantageous »

Have you ever seen a dumper of that busch 10oz flat? I know about the sheet find.. Any idea as to the value?
Plug--- I'm looking for a bud tall 10oz split label off grade or on depending on the cost.. if anyone here has access to one, lemme know please..
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

These are the Anhueser-Busch 10 ounce cans listed in the two books:

Budweiser Flat Tops:
44-09 Gold, 3-cities, St. Louis, stubby
44-10 Gold, 3-cities, St. Louis, thin
44-12 White, 3-cities, St. Louis, thin
44-14 Modern, 3-cities, "Brewed & Canned at St. Louis...", thin
44-16 Modern, 5-cities, "Brewed & Canned at St. Louis...", (Miami) thin
44-18 Modern, 4-cities, "Brewed & Canned at St. Louis...", thin
44-18 Modern, 4-cities, "Brewed & Canned at St. Louis...", thin
44-21 Modern, 5-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", St. Louis, (Houston) thin
44-37 Modern, 7-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Newark, thin
44-38 Modern, 8-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Newark, thin
45-01 Modern, 5-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Houston, thin
45-03 Modern, 7-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Houston, thin
Budweiser Pull-Tabs:
48-13 Modern, 4-cities, "Brewed & Canned at St. Louis...", "TAB TOP", Zip, thin
48-40 Modern, 5-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Newark, "TAB TOP", thin
49-02 Modern, 6-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Newark, "TAB TOP", thin
49-04 Modern, 7-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Newark, "TAB TOP", thin
49-07 Modern, 8-cities, Newark, Puerto Rico, thin
49-09 Modern, 8-cities, Newark, thin
49-11 Modern, 9-cities, Newark, Puerto Rico, thin
49-13 Modern, 9-cities, Newark, Puerto Rico, UPC, 4%-6%, thin
49-15 Modern, 9-cities, Newark, UPC, thin
49-16 ?? not sure the difference here??
49-17, Modern, 2-cities, Newark, thin
Sorry, I don't count aluminum :bootyshake:
49-25 Modern, 5-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Houston, "TAB TOP", thin
49-27 Modern, 6-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Houston, "TAB TOP", thin
49-29 Modern, 7-cities, "Brewed & Canned by", Houston, "TAB TOP", thin

Busch Flat top:
47-24 black circle, "Aged Slow Cold", St. Louis, thin
The one that I pictured earlier is not listed and may be a test can
Busch Pull-Tab:
52-37 No circle, 4-cities, Red Band "TAB TOP", St, Louis, Zip, thin

There seems to be a few holes in this list, but I am only quoting the books.
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

Cantageous wrote:...Plug--- I'm looking for a bud tall 10oz split label off grade or on depending on the cost.. if anyone here has access to one, lemme know please..

I have this one for trade.

eric
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eric »

I have a dumper of the Busch flat. Will try to post a picture later this week. Brewed and canned at st. louis, plants at st. louis, newark, los angeles, tampa.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I have a couple dumper Gold Bud Split label short 10 oz'ers if anybody Interested in them? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Pokey wrote:Pictures make these posts so much more interesting.

I am STILL looking for a Slow Cold Busch.... Anyone?....Anyone?....Bueller?....Bueller???
Thanks for sharing this picture. I've never seen a Busch 10 ounce flat before. I wonder if they were ever tested around here, because I haven't even found any 12 ounce Busch flats in any dump in this area. Very interesting!!

That split label Bud is pretty sweet too. A lot nicer than mine!
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”