Variations Of "Cap Sealed" Promoting

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Variations Of "Cap Sealed" Promoting

Post by MI-Cans »

I don’t have any cone top cans but over the years of visiting the RB site and the BCCA Supplements, I noticed different variations of how breweries chose to promote the “Cap Sealed” brand from Continental Can Company.

I broke it into three groups, single panel, two panel and vertical rectangles, both narrow and wide. Abbreviations are as follows: RS=Right Side, LS=Left Side and B=Back.

The first group consists of single panel promotion. On only 1 side of the can, the “Cap Sealed” information was displayed using various graphic styles and personalizing the wording to suit their products.

Single Panels
1 PANEL 01.jpg
1 PANEL 02.jpg

The second group obviously is made up of two panel promotions. The “Cap Sealed” information was found on two sides of the can. Some were on opposite sides. Some were on adjacent sides. A couple were actually a mix of the vertical rectangles and panels.

Two Panels
2 PANEL 01.jpg
2 PANEL 02.jpg

The last group of images shows variations I found just in the vertical rectangle promotions.

Narrow & Wide Rectangles
RECTANGLES.jpg

For those of you that collect cones, nothing earth shattering here.

Maybe someone might be looking for a subordinate niche to branch off their collecting skills, this might interest them.

In any case, hope you can enjoy what I uncovered. It was very enlightening for me.

(MI-Cans)

keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Variations Of "Cap Sealed" Promoting

Post by keithker »

@MI-Cans Ray Knisley did an August 1998 Rustlings article on this very thing. Did you check your findings against his?
Since there is no known article I was able to find in the BCCA magazine, I was hoping you'd consider having this included.

At the very least a posting on the BCCA webpage by @idigrust Danny. Since more information might roll in it would be a living documents with updates as needed.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@keithker
keithker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:43 am @MI-Cans Ray Knisely did an August 1998 Rustlings article on this very thing. Did you check your findings against his?

I was not aware of this article. Excellent reference with all the dimensions and details he provided. I will post the article here as a complimentary reference.

Thanks.

(MI-Cans)

Click to enlarge.

1998 AUG COVER.png
1998 AUG PAGE 07.png
1998 AUG PAGE 08.png
1998 AUG PAGE 09.png

Edited to add Rustlings cover page 04/14/2021
Last edited by MI-Cans on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@keithker
keithker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:43 am Since there is no known article I was able to find in the BCCA magazine, I was hoping you'd consider having this included. At the very least a posting on the BCCA webpage by @idigrust Danny. Since more information might roll in it would be a living documents with updates as needed.
Anything I'm able to post here basically is for the entire Hobby and Danny has always had my permission to do with as he sees fit.

(MI-Cans)
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@keithker
keithker wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:43 am Since there is no known article I was able to find in the BCCA magazine, I was hoping you'd consider having this included.

Keith, you're welcome to pass it on to Joe Prin. If he wants it, he can have it.

(MI-Cans)
rusteditor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 18
BCCA Number: 16085
eBay name: rusteditor
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by rusteditor »

What I always wondered is what was the reasoning for cones that have variations of Patents Applied For above Cap-Sealed or below Cap-Sealed. Rainier cones come to mind as a brand that has cones with both variations. And it’s not like there was any variation to what was on the panel: Trademark, Cap-Sealed logo and Patents Applied For.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always looking for cones or cone variations I don't have.
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Re: Variations Of

Post by MI-Cans »

@rusteditor
rusteditor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 am What I always wondered is what was the reasoning for cones that have variations of Patents Applied For above Cap-Sealed or below Cap-Sealed. Rainier cones come to mind as a brand that has cones with both variations. And it’s not like there was any variation to what was on the panel: Trademark, Cap-Sealed logo and Patents Applied For.

A search of the BMV only produced this article on a Gov't mandate. Doesn't explain why the format was in several variations. Maybe they were allowed to structure as they pleased as long as all items were included. They certainly were allowed freedom with the text content and structure.

(MI-Cans)

Click to enlarge.
1995 APR PAGE 07.png
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

Thanks for starting this thread Ed. I've been wanting to do something like this for some time now, but other things always seams to get in the way.

I had forgotten about the Rustlings article that Ray did, but I do have something to add to it.

Like Ray, Jerry Glenn (RB #45) from Newark OH was also one of the early big time cone collectors who really got into the fine details and had a wonderful cone top collection. When he was selling out I bought much of the tail end of his collection. Out of the blue in September 2009 I got a letter from Jerry. It contained note book pages with these original hand drawn images of many different "Cap-Sealed" panels. The same ones that were in the Rustling article. He just said since he didn't collect cones any more someone who did might appreciate this information. I always assumed it was Jerry that drew these up, but based on the Rustlings article, maybe it was Ray. Maybe Ray @Baxter can shed some light on this?

The post below shows 3 pages of hand drawn panels. Jerry actually sent me 4 pages. Here they are.

Page1.jpg
Page2.jpg
Page3.jpg
Page4.jpg
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

@Conehead
Jim,
I went back to the BMV and I believe your 4th page was actually the cover for that issue. That's my belief. So I added it to my post above. Thanks.

(MI-Cans)
Baxter
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 282
BCCA Number: 877
Year Started Collecting: 1968
United States of America

Post by Baxter »

20+ years ago, and you want me to remember?
Those drawing are Jerry's. Since we both collected cones, we worked on the fine details.
Those were the days.

Baxter
BCCA877 RB282 IGU31
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”