Details, Details and More Details…

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Details, Details and More Details…

Post by MI-Cans »

In my early fascination with set cans, it was difficult and just more satisfying to complete a known set. My education on this site has given me a greater appreciation for details that were seemingly unimportant in the beginning.

Now, as I’m re-taking images of my collection, I happened upon a variation that I was not aware of. And for what it’s worth, there is no mention of this variation in the Volume II Supplement.

I’m talking about the Ortlieb cans issued during the 1976 Bicentennial year. It was called the Collector’s Series of 12 cans. The following year, they issued a set of 4 cans called the Americana series. I always lumped them together for convenience. So to me, these 16 cans all seemed identical except a couple were aluminum and a couple were drawn steel.

After taking the pics and entering them into the database, I learned 6 of them were full metallic paint on base white enamel. The remaining 10 cans are full enamel paint on the base white enamel.

Two different can companies are listed, Reynolds Metals and Crown. The Crown cans are all drawn steel and the Reynolds are all aluminum. The metallic paint is only on 6 of the 7 aluminum Reynolds cans. There are three variations of pull tabs and one even has a bank lid.

Just sharing some info. You can use it or you can ignore it…

(MI-Cans)

Here's the difference in the paint. Everything is metallic paint on the left can, the name oval, the stars, the bell, and even the main image. The right can, everything is enamel.
Compare.jpg

Here's the different lids throughout the set(s).
Compare 03.jpg

Here's the details of both sets.
Ortlieb Sets.png

Return to “General Discussion”