Gil Davis - beercoast.com

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

beercoast
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 35346
Year Started Collecting: 1982
United States of America

Gil Davis - beercoast.com

Post by beercoast »

Hello Rusty Bunch gang!

I'm Gil Davis, from Albuquerque, NM. ABA, BCCA, CBCC, New Rusty Bunch Member, and webmaster for beercoast.com.

ABA Historian of the year for 2018.

I started beercoast.com in 2015 for beer coaster collectors. Many of you probably knew George Barone, who ran Coastermania.
George passed his website on to me before he passed away. I converted it to an online coaster guide with text and brewer search, large detailed images of coasters and many more features. Since that initial conversion I have added Bob Kay's entire library of images he published in his eight volume set of US labels before 1950. This is not the tiny thumbnails you see if you buy the books, but the original wide scans that Bob Kay saved on his PC to document his personal collection. I have also added the labels from John Phillips Microlabels website. Both of these were done with permission.

Since beercoast.com was started I have expanded the website to include a number of features for collectors:

- Expanded beercoast.com to support all ALL BREWERIANA TYPES, including coasters, labels, stickers, growlers, matchbooks, and yes Virginia...... CANS.
- introduced online submissions by members.
- Upload your cap, coaster, can or label submission and other members can view and comment on it before addition to the guide.
- online processing and approval of new items by assigned subject matter experts
- online inventory of your collection. beercoast.com keeps track of whether you 'own' an item or not and how many you have available for trade.
- complete visibility for members - who has this item? Who has it available for sale or trade?
- items only need to be added to the guide once, then everyone can see them and inventory.
- It's ALL online! No software to download. All you need is a web browser.
- want list comparison - once inventory is entered, the system will compare your collection to all the other members, in a few seconds.
- the want list program will let you know who has what items you need that are available for trade, and vice versa (what you have that THEY need.
- online statistics for count of items (how many labels are there on file?)
- now accepting CAN submissions! (as well as labels, coasters, stickers, coozies, glasses, growlers, taps, tackers, you name it.....)
- sorry, we didn't add urinal screens as a brewreriana item. I've only seen one and haven't met any collectors......
- roster of top submitters and daily top submitters
- search by brewer, text on the item, or item code
- Want to submit an item, and the brewer isn't on file? One click to a form to add the brewer to the database. (6,945 brewers on file).
- add the brewer - submit your item - inventory it, and you're done in 5 minutes. Brewer already on file? Submit an item in 5 minutes.
- standardized, well defined item coding system that is consistent, and tells you the state, breweriana type, brewer code and item number.
- beercoast.com codes are used by many auction houses and other breweriana purveyors, especially coaster codes.
- Most complete Canadian and US Coaster catalog - over 64,000 coasters and 69,000 labels on file (US and Canada)
- 146,871 breweriana items on file as I type this.
- Members can be assigned as an administrator to make changes to a brewer or item in their state
- Members can also be assigned as a 'processor' to move new items into the guide after a three day wait for comments.
- members have recorded inventory for 748,825 items in their collections.
- click the thumbnail of an item and see all the members who have recorded inventory for the item and who has it available for trade.
- lots of info on the FAQ pages about how items are catalogued, image management, how to scan/capture, and much more:
- Frequently asked questions: https://beercoast.com/index.php?p=faq
- Anyone can visit the site and browse thumbnail images. Members can log in and view wide detailed images, record inventory and much more.
- membership is $25 per year. Fill out an application and get a free month of membership. Test drive beercoast.com for a free month with all member privileges.
- The membership application has a quick test to see if you can identify the brewer on a coaster.
- beercoast.com is written in php, mysql and a little java. I do all the development myself. So if you want to discuss a new feature, just ASK. The development committee (me) is always welcome to new suggestions to help the member community.

Membership Application: https://beercoast.com/index.php?p=member_app

Rusty Bunch Members - include your rusty bunch membership number in the application comments and I'll give you THREE free months of membership.

Thanks for reading!

and... Cheers!

Gil Davis
Albuquerque, NM
hotairline@hotmail.com
https://www.beercoast.com

Last edited by beercoast on Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Re: Gil Davis - beercoast.com

Post by MI-Cans »

Gil,
Thanks for sharing all that. That's a lot of work and a lot of information. Welcome to the best site in the Hobby (My opinion).

(MI-Cans)
YooperAho
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 15426
eBay name: 2775jon
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
Finland

Post by YooperAho »

eh. Gil yooperaho here Welcome to The Rusty Bunch.
Holy Crap Talk about Buzz Kill.
Make's Me Think to Much :smt017 :smt017
beercoast
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
BCCA Number: 35346
Year Started Collecting: 1982
United States of America

Post by beercoast »

Yooper.... as in Upper Peninsula. gotta love it.

i recommend getting a membership established, go to the site and LOG IN.

From there, req=ad the FAQ pages, and check out the MEMBERS page - MEMBERS is your window to the roster, top submitters, statistics and mush more.

Beercoast.com is designed to let you define your favorite breweriana type and browse based on that, be it coasters, labels, cans, whatever.

Your default type (such as 'labels' is stored in your member profile. So when you log in, it is set to your default and the website displays only those type of items when you visit a brewer page.
But the brewer pages also show you how many other items of different types are on file. Click the type and the program switches to it. You can also select a 'switch type' page to change it.

This may seem a bit complex,. but it's really easy to use once you log in, browse some brewers and see what's there.

Once your member application is submitted I will usually have your account established and send your username and password within 24 hours.

Need help? I'm retired and available most all the time if a member needs assistance.

My email and phone number are in the member roster.

Cheers,

GIl
chicagocans
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by chicagocans »

If the author wants to market his website and solicit paid memberships, he should pay for the privilege in the same manner as other Rusty Bunch advertisers. [This is markedly different from members promoting their no charge, non-subscriber websites.] No free lunch.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Added to Beer Can Reference page....Online Reference Material

Coaster Mania removed
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”