Rarest cans by state - has there ever been a list?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Re: Rarest cans by state - has there ever been a list?

Post by Leon »

PIC.
Attachments
goetzfbiradfeb36 - Copy.jpg

FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Post by Clarkston1 »

Leon wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Clarkston1 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:13 pm I’ll throw in what I consider my toughest 5 Michigan cans.

- The 4 panel Old Gold is probably the only true rare can.
- The Patrick Henry and Phoenix are not necessary rare cans but tough and a little heavy on the wallet (at least for me) in high grade condition.
- Goebel Bock from Detroit. IMO Is EXTREMELY difficult to get in high grade condition. In the past 15 years of getting back into collecting somewhat seriously I never saw another example available.
- Honers J-Spout - The book can is by far the best condition out there but this one may be second best known. I would love to be proven wrong on this but no one has posted clear all around pictures yet to verify one way or another.

My Honers j-spout on left is pretty nice. LEON.
Front looks 👍 Can you post pictures of the sides to give a overall view of condition. Here is mine, heavy fade on one side but displayable dumper until a better one is available.
Attachments
83DF5E10-DD4A-48EC-B43B-0A98A2B5FF94.png
A3766400-B287-420E-A07A-43BA89359F1A.png
1F991537-925E-44C8-97E7-22B5F85311FD.png
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Clarkston1 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 am
Leon wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Clarkston1 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:13 pm I’ll throw in what I consider my toughest 5 Michigan cans.

- The 4 panel Old Gold is probably the only true rare can.
- The Patrick Henry and Phoenix are not necessary rare cans but tough and a little heavy on the wallet (at least for me) in high grade condition.
- Goebel Bock from Detroit. IMO Is EXTREMELY difficult to get in high grade condition. In the past 15 years of getting back into collecting somewhat seriously I never saw another example available.
- Honers J-Spout - The book can is by far the best condition out there but this one may be second best known. I would love to be proven wrong on this but no one has posted clear all around pictures yet to verify one way or another.

My Honers j-spout on left is pretty nice. LEON.
Front looks 👍 Can you post pictures of the sides to give a overall view of condition. Here is mine, heavy fade on one side but displayable dumper until a better one is available.
I've seen a couple with slightly better faces, but with major problems on the back. I'd like to see Conehead's can again.

Marc
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Leon wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:03 pmPIC.
I don't how much we can read into the ads though. They are not photographs and while the cans design was already in place by the Feb 36 continental ad I think it is similar to the bottle labels and it's possible the can only existed on paper at the time of that ad. Also, people at the time didn't think about the can change like us collectors do, the artist who drew up the newspaper ad could have just drawn it up like the fbir ads just because that is what most cones had looked like for the past several months. I doubt anyone at the time cared about it's accuracy. It's such a small window of a few months, maybe Goetz just wanted to wait until summer to debut their cans and ended up being one of the first with CB/RR. By September their were 53 cones and all were using CB/RR.
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:53 am I'd like to see Conehead's can again.

Marc
Here you go Marc. Mine has the big problem on the right side, but the display is pretty nice.

Jim

100_2126.JPG

100_2127.JPG

100_2129.JPG

100_2128.JPG
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

:smt007 Here's the sides. LEON. :smt007
Attachments
P1050206 - Copy.JPG
P1050205 - Copy.JPG
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 am
Leon wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:03 pmPIC.
I don't how much we can read into the ads though. They are not photographs and while the cans design was already in place by the Feb 36 continental ad I think it is similar to the bottle labels and it's possible the can only existed on paper at the time of that ad. Also, people at the time didn't think about the can change like us collectors do, the artist who drew up the newspaper ad could have just drawn it up like the fbir ads just because that is what most cones had looked like for the past several months. I doubt anyone at the time cared about it's accuracy. It's such a small window of a few months, maybe Goetz just wanted to wait until summer to debut their cans and ended up being one of the first with CB/RR. By September their were 53 cones and all were using CB/RR.
The ad Leon posted uses a drawing of the can, but the group ad you cited appears to be a photograph. I suppose studio trickery could have been involved, even if it seems odd that only one of the cans in Continental's ads hasn't been confirmed. Any number of things could have caused a delay in the introduction of the can, and proving that the FBIR never existed would be next to impossible even if it is the most reasonable hypothesis.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Leon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 am :smt007 Here's the sides. LEON. :smt007
Yeah, the sides of my can . . .

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Conehead wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 am
mtracy64 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:53 am I'd like to see Conehead's can again.

Marc
Here you go Marc. Mine has the big problem on the right side, but the display is pretty nice.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. Jon has brought this up before, but it's been a long time and I wasn't aware of this second indoor can then. I had a pretty good memory of the face only. The can I have has long been considered the best one known by the Michigan guys, but there are several (or more) that display better than it. It took me four days to decide to buy it when Alex brought it to Blue/Grey several years ago.

Marc
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund

Post by Clarkston1 »

Ok, the sides of the book can, but not your example.
Attachments
5ADA9A1D-9046-459A-8DAD-9F812666A700.png
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:51 am
Yeah, the sides of my can . . .

Marc

Yeah, I was being Sarcastic with that post but didn't want to make it to obvious yet with my sarcastic meter pic I usually Ad. I wanted to Buy Alex's indoor can when he was selling but was on Skid Row. I was with Alex when we both went to Keith Niels house to buy that can & many others. Looking in my Computer Folder I don't see a pic of my back or sides. I got it Boxed up in my Attic because of the Basement constantly flooding & the Humidity down there. I could try to find it & take some pics. I know the back is Rusty. LEON.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am

The ad Leon posted uses a drawing of the can, but the group ad you cited appears to be a photograph. I suppose studio trickery could have been involved, even if it seems odd that only one of the cans in Continental's ads hasn't been confirmed. Any number of things could have caused a delay in the introduction of the can, and proving that the FBIR never existed would be next to impossible even if it is the most reasonable hypothesis.

Marc
Looking closer at that ad I see what you mean as the cone portion looks like a photo, but it doesn't look like a photo of a bright red can, especially when you compare it to the photos of the 4 cans in their March ad. The metallic bottom portion should not look like that in a photo. But I guess if it's a photo we can say for sure it existed and if it is a touched up photo of another can we can probably say it didn't.

I don't mean to beat it to death it's just an interesting topic from my corner of the hobby. You are right we are not going to prove anything in this thread. But who knows, maybe someone sees this and says "hey I got a dumper but never thought it was rare since it is only a $400 can in the book". :smile:
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:37 am
mtracy64 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am

Marc
Looking closer at that ad I see what you mean as the cone portion looks like a photo, but it doesn't look like a photo of a bright red can, especially when you compare it to the photos of the 4 cans in their March ad. The metallic bottom portion should not look like that in a photo. But I guess if it's a photo we can say for sure it existed and if it is a touched up photo of another can we can probably say it didn't.

I don't mean to beat it to death it's just an interesting topic from my corner of the hobby. You are right we are not going to prove anything in this thread. But who knows, maybe someone sees this and says "hey I got a dumper but never thought it was rare since it is only a $400 can in the book". :smile:
Some of the best discussions on this site involve beating something nearly to death, and we're working the Honer's over pretty good too. A dedicated thread might draw more readers, though. Short of a "Now Introducing . . .) ad from the concave bottom time frame, I don't know how we'd ever prove the FBIR didn't exist.

I saw the group of 27 FBIR cones quite a few times when they were still together, and I never thought to be suspicious of any of them because I knew who owned them previously. A knowledgeable KC collector spotted it right away, though.

Marc
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

ConeAddict wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:24 am For those here involved in the USBC supplement shouldn't the Goetz FBIR be delisted?
The mocked up Goetz, and the cut down Blitz-Weinhard "cones" should be delisted as fakes as should 2 046 30 0 (dark brown label-Brown Derby - Pittsburgh) which is simply a misprint with the last coat of orange paint missing from the label.
Those Blitz "cones" were both for sale at one point on-line for $5000 for the pair (Tavern Trove I think) and I seriously considered buying them until I researched into them more on this site and in the USBC books and thought better of it. (Rusty Bunch knowledge is not just power it is also my money)
That Brown Derby, can though it does exist, has frustrated a lot of people trying to find it when it is simply a one off misprint. (I have a Brown Derby that looks exactly like it but is missing the last orange coat on only 1/2 of the can).

USBC should strive for accuracy in it's reference listings...if they leave them in, at least note them as "fakes" or "misprints". Maybe open a "fake" and "misprint" section and shift a lot of the "test" cans to the "misprint" section where they belong?

Eric Palmer
Attachments
bd.jpg
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I think all or most Production cans start out at the beginning as a Mock up can or prototype/concept can. SO, I would not be so quick to call the Goetz a fake or wrong artist rendering. I think it could be proven as Real if a Real one was to surface but if one never does I don't think that means it's not real. Just proves we can't prove it's real, or not real. I agree with many misprints should be removed from Test cans section of book but like Goetz how do we prove they are just misprints & not test cans, which are different then test marketed cans. LEON.
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

Leon wrote:I think all or most Production cans start out at the beginning as a Mock up can or prototype/concept can. SO, I would not be so quick to call the Goetz a fake or wrong artist rendering. I think it could be proven as Real if a Real one was to surface but if one never does I don't think that means it's not real. Just proves we can't prove it's real, or not real. I agree with many misprints should be removed from Test cans section of book but like Goetz how do we prove they are just misprints & not test cans, which are different then test marketed cans. LEON.
I know I can prove the Pittsburgh Brown Derby, the green Lucky “Christmas” cans and the Olympia silver test cans in the books are misprints or oxidized cans. I have a silver version of every label style Olympia can they ever put out....all misprints. The green Lucky cans are oxidized paint....I had one with a sticker that blocked that areas oxidization and the paint under the sticker on the “green” can was the gold version in the books. I have heard some back story on the two Blitz cones that they were factory made mock ups but didn’t think it was proven enough to my satisfaction to spend $5000 on.

Eric Palmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Yes, I'm sure some can be proven to be misprints or weather related side effects but some others may be more difficult. I was never convinced the older Silver Budweiser was a legit production can, I always felt the 1 or 2 indoor cans known where just misprints missing the gold layer of paint while most dumpers are just faded away gold. The Blitz cones have always been very suspicious & questionable in my opinion. LEON.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Leon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:17 pm I think all or most Production cans start out at the beginning as a Mock up can or prototype/concept can. SO, I would not be so quick to call the Goetz a fake or wrong artist rendering. I think it could be proven as Real if a Real one was to surface but if one never does I don't think that means it's not real. Just proves we can't prove it's real, or not real. I agree with many misprints should be removed from Test cans section of book but like Goetz how do we prove they are just misprints & not test cans, which are different then test marketed cans. LEON.
Earlier in the thread I thought it was likely that there was at least some test cans of the Goetz FBIR, that was based on the timing of that ad in Feb 36. But now after Marc pointed out that he thought it was a photo I took a longer look at it, I think it is very likely they just did a touch up over another can photo. In addition to the mettalic gold not showing up there is a black line along the bottom seam that is not on any of the Goetz cones that I know of. So my thought would be that there was not an example at the time of that ad or they would have used it, I think Continental used real photos in all the other ads in the cone top bible. Just my 2 cents, I think it should be delisted.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:49 pm
Leon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:17 pm I think all or most Production cans start out at the beginning as a Mock up can or prototype/concept can. SO, I would not be so quick to call the Goetz a fake or wrong artist rendering. I think it could be proven as Real if a Real one was to surface but if one never does I don't think that means it's not real. Just proves we can't prove it's real, or not real. I agree with many misprints should be removed from Test cans section of book but like Goetz how do we prove they are just misprints & not test cans, which are different then test marketed cans. LEON.
Earlier in the thread I thought it was likely that there was at least some test cans of the Goetz FBIR, that was based on the timing of that ad in Feb 36. But now after Marc pointed out that he thought it was a photo I took a longer look at it, I think it is very likely they just did a touch up over another can photo. In addition to the mettalic gold not showing up there is a black line along the bottom seam that is not on any of the Goetz cones that I know of. So my thought would be that there was not an example at the time of that ad or they would have used it, I think Continental used real photos in all the other ads in the cone top bible. Just my 2 cents, I think it should be delisted.

I'm not sure what your talking about, what photo was Marc pointing out & who did a touch up on another can photo? Do you got a pic of photo in question? LEON.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Leon wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm not sure what your talking about, what photo was Marc pointing out & who did a touch up on another can photo? Do you got a pic of photo in question? LEON.
The February 36 Continental ad you posted earlier in the thread, it is also in the cone top bible. The cone portion of the can looks like it is from a photo but the body of the can looks like some company artist filled in the Goetz graphics in place of whatever can it was. "Touch up" was probably a confusing choice of words, especially among us.

Edit: rereading Marc's post he may have been referring to another ad as he called it a group ad but I think that is the one with the CB /RR Goetz? At any rate I am just saying I haven't see a real photo of the FBIR Goetz.
Last edited by ConeAddict on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

These are the February and March Continental ads, notice how the metallic portions of the 4 cans in March are clearly visible. I don't know, maybe the entire Goetz can is artwork but the cone seems to be from a photo to my eyes.
IMG_1485.jpg
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

What I want to know is why didn't the March 1936 Ad say 5 more leading Brewer's join the Parade with that FB/IR Goetz in the Pic? And do they mean 4 more since there 1935 December Ad showing numerous cones? LEON.
jwjohnson86
Sta-Tab
Sta-Tab
BCCA Number: 35536
eBay name: Dub’s Vintage Finds
Year Started Collecting: 2019
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jwjohnson86 »

I would add the National Sportsman Ale green flat to the Michigan rare list also.
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

I'd like to see an "Unknown in Mint" list.... only a dumper(s) known. Manhattan Bock comes to mind... Ortliebs Bock Ale....
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by stringsx24now »

Re: unknown in mint list--what about the Philipsburg conetop found a few years ago? And was a Dingle Bay ever found in Gr. 1 or better?
collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

stringsx24now wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:45 pm Re: unknown in mint list--what about the Philipsburg conetop found a few years ago? And was a Dingle Bay ever found in Gr. 1 or better?
Yep....just one
Capture.JPG
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Cap-Sealed wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:30 pm I'd like to see an "Unknown in Mint" list.... only a dumper(s) known. Manhattan Bock comes to mind... Ortliebs Bock Ale....
Triangle
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
barfly
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by barfly »

Plusonegolfer; this has been discussed on this site before, check out "The Toughest Can From Each State" Posting in the Archives! Criteria was discussed and many of the real heavyweights from around the country kicked in with their thoughts. An excellent post and it would be interesting to see updated information on new finds how that list would look today! :smt024
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Scott »

It would be a fun list to compile, probably worthy of a new thread. You need to set some parameters though. For example "mint" is very subjective and in my opinion, there are very few truly mint cans. The list ought to be limited to cans where the only known examples are outdoor found dumpers. Anything where there is an indoorish example is excluded even if the best example has some scuffs, light humidity etc.

Also you should avoid going down the Lilek rabbit hole and limit it to major variations. If you can't spot the difference from five feet away it does not make the cut. That eliminates patent numbers, can company logos and other minutae that so many of us (myself included to some extent) like so much. Most minty guys avoid the minor variations because its too dang expensive to chase them. After dropping a few grand on a label, they are content with one nice example and don't need the other three minor variations. It's hard to fault them for that logic.

In my mind the whole point of the list would be to determine what cans the minty guys will never have in their collections unless they can stomach looking at a rusty turd among their prized jewels.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”