Auction Amazement

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Auction Amazement

Post by mtracy64 »

Wrestling Nut wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:23 pm I was amazed at how long it took. Over 8 hours. Maybe that's normal and I was impatient because the stuff I was watching was at the end but hot damn. It felt like forever. So many people wait until last call and then start bidding. Stops. Then starts again. Boring and time consuming. I checked in often but never stayed long.

Just my $0.02
It's not normal, but there were more lots than he's had in previous auctions - over 400. His goal is to end them one per minute, but that's not fully in his control and it would still have taken six hours and 45 minutes at one per minute. The only one I sat through in its entirety was the auction of Rand's OI cans.

Marc

mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

beerhunter14 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:01 am Im little shocked :shock: for the price of Karlbrau cone top can and it not even Mint !!! due to discoloration . It suppose to be sliver not dull color.. What am I missing here :smt017 In my opinion, it because of humidity that lost all that silver that make look dull. My 2 cent.
Something fishy here ??? It seem to be taken out of the book from Dan Morphy and Showtime auction. The buyer premium not that high yet but at 17 % to me that little high. Also have to keep in mind is shipping rate. I do know Dan Morphy auction only goes by Fedex- Nothing else . It may be good for sign but for can ???? Once again my 2 cent.
However, I seen some of the cans were reasonable. but that not including buyer premium and shipping rate.
I bought a single can from a Morean Auction a while back. It shipped via USPS and it cost me $5.

Marc
DaddyDewrop
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1977

Post by DaddyDewrop »

This was my very first online auction. I pre-bid on about 30 different cans. Only one pre-bid held up and I ended up with the Old German cone top for $100. I didn't have a burning desire for that can and I thought for sure someone would outbid me, but surpisingly that didn't happen. The rest went WAY too high for my wallet. There were a handful of cans there that I got for MUCH cheaper elsewhere. Yes, it was a long process, but still fascinating to watch. Will I do it again? Probably not, unless I see something that I REALLY want!
Clarkston1
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978

Post by Clarkston1 »

I thought the Goebel Bock cans priced out a little higher than I would have expected.
Attachments
39E8D051-EB75-4D28-A742-88316DE8FE0F.png
WISCONSINCANMAN
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 28151
eBay name: Wisconsincanman
Year Started Collecting: 1973
United States of America

Post by WISCONSINCANMAN »

I was surprised by the Karlbrau cone too, must be a sleeper ? Leon, I also seen the Kuebler Quart auction, drag out bidding war. Fun stuff

Scott
Wisconsin cans wanted!!!

Trade me your Wisconsin cans, my most wanted, Old Wisconsin
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:33 pm There is a 17% Buyer's Premium, discounted 3% for payment by check or money order.

Many beer can people have abandoned eBay over the years, particularly those with deep pockets, and I would guess that some of Dan's bidders never were on eBay in the first place. The hobby has always had some big buyers that don't attend shows or circulate in the hobby - they just buy from dealers. I assume some of these people partake in the auctions too.

As for what people bid at auctions, who knows? On high-end stuff, there's probably the "when will I see another one?" thing going on, but why a $250 can would sell substantially higher is a mystery.

Some items are consigned in these auctions, and I suppose a consignor could bid on their own item, but that could backfire in a big way too.

Marc
Crap, I thought it was still a 15/12 premium. For what it's worth I think I just bought my 6th can in these Morean auctions, 2 of them I sold on ebay about a year later and turned a nice profit on both. I thought I overpaid in both cases and was nervous putting them on ebay but tough, clean, attractive cans seem to hold their value and then some right now. I mean 400+ items yesterday and prices looked pretty strong throughout, that's pretty amazing, there are either a lot more collectors than I thought or a few of them are spending a lot of dough on multiple cans/signs.

The late bidding was pretty annoying but then I found myself doing the same thing, I guess the ebay sniping has some of us in last second mode even when it really doesn't help. I would think you are probably safer from shilling in these auctions than on ebay.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Clarkston1 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:23 am I thought the Goebel Bock cans priced out a little higher than I would have expected.
You know these cans better than I do, but I was curious enough to check around for previous sale prices. I was very surprised to find a brown Detroit sold at $1,750, and I found one listed as Oakland that sold at $1,900 . . . but the pictured can says Detroit. I found both at $850 in A1+ also, and it's a bit frustrating that these sales aren't dated (aside from the $1,750 in 2017). Adolph Grenke's cans brought $900 (Detroit) and $960 in 2012, including buyer's premium. I did not find any white Oakland cans sold anywhere, not even in Adolph's auction.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

WISCONSINCANMAN wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:24 am I was surprised by the Karlbrau cone too, must be a sleeper ? Leon, I also seen the Kuebler Quart auction, drag out bidding war. Fun stuff

Scott
I assume the word "STRONG" on the face of the can is the reason for the Karlsbrau result. The USBC lists all three variations at the same price, but that's probably not accurate.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

ConeAddict wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:47 am
mtracy64 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:33 pm There is a 17% Buyer's Premium, discounted 3% for payment by check or money order.

Many beer can people have abandoned eBay over the years, particularly those with deep pockets, and I would guess that some of Dan's bidders never were on eBay in the first place. The hobby has always had some big buyers that don't attend shows or circulate in the hobby - they just buy from dealers. I assume some of these people partake in the auctions too.

As for what people bid at auctions, who knows? On high-end stuff, there's probably the "when will I see another one?" thing going on, but why a $250 can would sell substantially higher is a mystery.

Some items are consigned in these auctions, and I suppose a consignor could bid on their own item, but that could backfire in a big way too.

Marc
Crap, I thought it was still a 15/12 premium. For what it's worth I think I just bought my 6th can in these Morean auctions, 2 of them I sold on ebay about a year later and turned a nice profit on both. I thought I overpaid in both cases and was nervous putting them on ebay but tough, clean, attractive cans seem to hold their value and then some right now. I mean 400+ items yesterday and prices looked pretty strong throughout, that's pretty amazing, there are either a lot more collectors than I thought or a few of them are spending a lot of dough on multiple cans/signs.

The late bidding was pretty annoying but then I found myself doing the same thing, I guess the ebay sniping has some of us in last second mode even when it really doesn't help. I would think you are probably safer from shilling in these auctions than on ebay.
I almost missed the 17/14 thing when I logged in - it was still 15/12 for the last auction. Funny thing is, I would have won a can if I had missed the change.

My first experience with a Morean Auction was winning a Grossvater J for about half of what it should have sold for. My second experience was Rand's OI auction, and I won nine cans and then bought another that missed the soft reserve by $10. I had one bargain in the group, and the others were all within roughly 10% of my expectation. My next experience was last fall, when I picked up a Fitzgerald's Beer J at a bargain price. I thought I paid about half price again. I later found that exact can listed as sold on another dealer site, and the price was more than four times what I paid. I bought one can in the last auction and paid my absolute max for it, then I got skunked yesterday.

As for bidding late - I can't speak for others, but I don't like leaving my money tied up. If I pre-bid and have the high bid, I can't spend that money if something else I want turns up in the interim. There were many cans I'd love to have in the auction, but really only three that I thought I might get at my price, and I was only willing to spend enough to get one. So, I had to see what happened with the first one before bidding on the second, and so on. Each can sold at one increment past my limit - the first one got there without my help, and I was underbidder on the other two.

My first thought when Dan announced this auction was "What, aren't you competing against yourself here?". But, I guess he knows what he's doing.

Marc
blake
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
BCCA Number: 9148
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by blake »

mtracy64 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:16 am
WISCONSINCANMAN wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:24 am I was surprised by the Karlbrau cone too, must be a sleeper ? Leon, I also seen the Kuebler Quart auction, drag out bidding war. Fun stuff

Scott
I assume the word "STRONG" on the face of the can is the reason for the Karlsbrau result. The USBC lists all three variations at the same price, but that's probably not accurate.

Marc
Clean Karlbrau cones are under rated in my onion. They are hard to come across since the better ones are locked away in collections. The silver is almost always tarnished as was the one in the auction. I recently upgrade my Strong version and have been toting my down-grade to shows with a $400 price tag and still have it. It as good or close to the $1,150+ one.

Minnesota cans in general did get any love from the USBC. Only one $1,000 cane is the Kiewel's.
Wanted: Schmidt City Club OD 130-2, Schmidt Select Desert 130-14, Gluek's 165-7,8 and Grain Belt Ale 166-24,25
Pbama
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1316
eBay name: seanmelissa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pbama »

No question that Dan’s auction cans bring about huge premiums versus any other method of buying/selling. I just recently bought the below Pabst quart on eBay for $150 and a very similar condition example sold on Dan’s auction for $650; that’s Crazy!
Attachments
A64F98D5-A6C4-4601-AF6C-3E6FDED83105.jpeg
D8829935-9EED-4A62-A269-41BF817B8605.jpeg
2DC35D54-4262-4750-939E-2763CA78438B.jpeg
3C1E7ECB-BCB1-44F3-9980-05D84E99A71F.jpeg
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Just to be clear I wasn't talking about waiting until the can was up to bid, like you say that is the what you have to do unless you can't be around for it, just the stopping and starting and waiting until "last call" part of it that seemed to drag on sometimes.
Last edited by ConeAddict on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

blake wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:55 am

Clean Karlbrau cones are under rated in my onion. They are hard to come across since the better ones are locked away in collections. The silver is almost always tarnished as was the one in the auction. I recently upgrade my Strong version and have been toting my down-grade to shows with a $400 price tag and still have it. It as good or close to the $1,150+ one.

Minnesota cans in general did get any love from the USBC. Only one $1,000 cane is the Kiewel's.
The book seems off on most Minnesota cones. Maybe due to the large amount of collectors there, those Grain Belt low pros aren't really that tough but routinely get near $1000 if clean.All the Kato's are spendy if clean as well and the Fitgers low pros have long been on my wish list. Just going by cones Minnesota is a pretty tough group to collect, at least relative to Wisconsin.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Never seen a white Goebel Bock get $4,000 before. I think a more reasonable average for that can is more like $2,000. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Man I feel like crawling back under my rock after those auctions.
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
barfly
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by barfly »

Leon, I know you're a Caveman but you got to stop living in the past! :smt064
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

What I don't get is why some cans that got $2,000 10 years ago get $4,000 now but some other cans that got $2,000 10 years ago get $1,000 now? How does that happen? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Auctions are just as unpredictable as ebay. many cans will get twice what everybody thinks it should get while others cans get half of what everybody thinks it should of get. LEON.
Plusonegolfer
Cone Top
Cone Top
Year Started Collecting: 1971
United States of America

Post by Plusonegolfer »

I like auctions from reputable dealers for a few reasons. One, I do see some rare stuff that is rarely available. Two, I generally can call to make sure I know exactly what condition we are looking at. Three, if you are disciplined, you can still spend big bucks without buyers remorse.

The one thing I don’t like is when the auctioneer chimes in with comments like, “this is so rare, I can’t believe it’s going so low”. I find that irritating...
beerhunter14
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1121
BCCA Number: 32460
Year Started Collecting: 2004
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by beerhunter14 »

Ohh, You will see Karlbrau " Strong" on Ebay once awhile. Just that most of the time it tarnished , Hardly seen silver around it . If you do see silver on it , most of the time have some rust on it . But very rarely seen one MInt !! In fact, I'm seeking a upgrade of one - Strong version. I do have the other variation and it in really good shape.
Other things keep in mind , since some of the cans sold for a high price, The other will follow. For example, the Goebel Bock can that sold for 4000.00 and 2000.00 on Dan Morean auction, you will expect to see that price range at the show. My 2 cent
Other interesting note That Grain Belt can that sold for 2000.00 Do you suppose that can was rolled ?? :smt017 I think that price was to high.?? My 2 cent ??
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Here's my Grain Belt I sold for $600 10 years ago. Wish I had it now, in mint 1+ shape must be worth $5k now?
Attachments
3rarecones.jpg
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Wow just another reason why I have such a hard time selling stuff and headed toward hoarder status.

Side note and it’s most likely because it’s late and I’m tired, but the Good Guys Auction says live 11 am EDT but the count down timer on each auction if you look at it now is showing the auction going live at 10am. Am I missing something? Also never participated before can someone explain how the auction works?
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

I figure that the online pre-bidding ends an hour before the live auction. Probably just to double check things and their ducks in a row.

Pretty straight forward auction. Sign in and you can bid. Just sit and watch like any regular auction. Starts at #1 and goes until all lots are sold. When you are signed in, you click on the bid button (which has the next bid increment listed on it). That's how much you just bid. There may be a confirm bid button. I'm not certain. But it's only a one or two click process. Quite simple really. Dont be intimidated. It's only money. :shock:
A true friend will lie for you but not to you.
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Thanks and I'm sure it's obvious but as each one starts what ends it? With eBay it's a count down. Will there be a timer or is it like going once going twice sold?
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

willssoda wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:41 am Thanks and I'm sure it's obvious but as each one starts what ends it? With eBay it's a count down. Will there be a timer or is it like going once going twice sold?
The auction extends with each bid, unlike eBay. It ends when nobody bids in response to the auctioneer's last call for bids. That's how Dan's worked, and this should be very similar from the looks of it.

Marc
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Ok makes sense. Thanks, guess I'll get strapped in for the ride. I put in some hefty bids by my standard lol!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”