Very Expensive Cans

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Plusonegolfer
Cone Top
Cone Top
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Location: Houston
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Very Expensive Cans

#1

Post by Plusonegolfer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Just curious, how many collectors would pay $20K+ for a can they wanted? Would you do it more than once? Anyone have a good ballpark number for how many folks are on that list...



User avatar
willssoda
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: East Tennessee
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 97 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#2

Post by willssoda » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Don't know about 20K but I am dying to find someone with some mint soda quarts. Those will probably get some of my money......
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.

User avatar
Rand
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4589
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:46 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Location: Yosemite National Park, CA
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 201 times
Zodiac:
Contact:
Status: Online
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#3

Post by Rand » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Extremely rarefied air.....$20K? At any given point in time, there probably isn't more than 10, and that number may be more like 5. Pretty insular group so hard to get an accurate head count. Your bigger can dealers would know better, and I would bet money they are not going to broadcast that to an open forum like this. Now, to pay that more than once....definitely more in the 5 or fewer category. I thought I threw crazy money at cans during the OI wars.....but never cracked 5 figures....came close....but didn't actually break that ceiling. Two times that amount would have had to be something mindbogglingly special, and even then I doubt I would have done it for a single can.
Rand Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta

Beercanpete
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Posts: 1663
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:47 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Location: Eastern CT
Been thanked: 33 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#4

Post by Beercanpete » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:19 pm

A couple of times now, I've actually gone into the (very) low three figures for a can I really wanted ...

User avatar
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Posts: 16730
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:13 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Mopar City
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 267 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#5

Post by Leon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 pm

SO, Rand. what is the most you paid for a can????? & what was it???????? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?

User avatar
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Rochester, MI
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#6

Post by mtracy64 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Leon wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 pm
SO, Rand. what is the most you paid for a can????? & what was it???????? LEON.
Jacob Ruppert Bock I'd guess.

Marc

User avatar
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Rochester, MI
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#7

Post by mtracy64 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:36 pm

I've been fascinated by the market in general for a long time, and particularly the high-end market. I'm far from an expert, but I've been paying attention since the mid-1990's. This business of significant numbers of cans publicly going $20K and up is a fairly recent development. The number I began paying close attention to was $15K, when that became fairly commonplace about 15 years ago. Everybody thought it was just a few guys, but over time I realized there were at least 15 guys going there occasionally, and a couple more who did it once. A few of those guys are out of the hobby now, but they've been replaced. I figure I'm lucky if I know half of what's going on.

The Silver and Royal cones, the highest confirmed prices known to me, have sold enough times I've lost count, and prices on the high-end stuff have clearly escalated the past several years.

I've had one can for about 15 years that I went into five figures for. All the movement Gene created in recent years got me buying better cans than I typically had on occasion, but even still the Morean Auction Gunther's Beer was the closest I'd come to five figures again. I've long been (perhaps inordinately) fond of the 1935 variation of that can, and I missed it the first time it came up because it came up right after Gene's 2015 sales. A Krueger's Bock sat next to it. That day was a turning point. I'd seen Adolph's at his place, then at Gene's, but seeing one for sale made me decide I was going to buy one if it ever came up again. I, somewhat remarkable, got to Dan in time to get Gene's. I did NOT join the $20K club, but I can't say that I wouldn't for the right can. But, right now my wallet is on life support, so I'm trying to nurse it back to health.

Marc

MarkfromIndy
Rust Master
Rust Master
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:01 am
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Status: Offline
Greenland

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#8

Post by MarkfromIndy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 pm

This is a great thread and a thought provoking one.

I have often wondered what would happen if someone knocked down a wall and found a half dozen ongrade Tigers from Manhattan, which I'm assuming would be the all around holiest of grail cans on average. Would there be five people willing to spend $50K to get one? 30K? Where would the reasonable ceiling be?

And where will that ceiling be in five and then ten years?

User avatar
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Posts: 16730
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:13 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Mopar City
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 267 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#9

Post by Leon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 pm

If 6 indoor Tigers were found I don't think it would be a $50k can then, would it be worth $30k with 6, not counting the 1 that already exist? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?

MarkfromIndy
Rust Master
Rust Master
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:01 am
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Status: Offline
Greenland

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#10

Post by MarkfromIndy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:34 am

I'm wondering, Leon, if there are even five buyers at 30k for a 1/1+ Tiger OI left?

User avatar
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 1:23 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 258 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#11

Post by pinnacle-project » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 am

MarkfromIndy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:34 am
I'm wondering, Leon, if there are even five buyers at 30k for a 1/1+ Tiger OI left?
Good question. When people talk about money and cans, inevitably, the age of the people in this hobby comes up. Presently, people are still spending big bucks on cans but at some point, something is going to trigger more doubt in the value of cans. When that happens people will rush to the market to try to sell their high dollar cans while they still can but the combination of doubt and volume will cause the market to fall significantly. Of course, that will be the day I buy an on grade Detroit Regal for $100.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2019 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 19, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Beer Can's 84th Birthday, January 24, Online show
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 22/23, South Bend Indiana
* Buckeye, March 9, Toledo Ohio
* Luck O' The Irish, March 16, Erlanger Kentucky
* Texas Brewery Collectibles Show, May 4, Shiner Texas
* Patrick Henry, May 18, Kalamazoo Michigan
* Rusty Bunch 21st Anniversary, June 18, Online
* SummerSwap, July 19/20, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Halloween Spooktacular, October 27, Online show
* Three Rivers Chapter Brewery Collectibles Show, November 23, Fort Wayne Indiana

User avatar
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master
Rust Master
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 am
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#12

Post by Wrestling Nut » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:19 am

My thoughts....

Most people don't have 20k to throw around. Having said that, I see many collections shown that have 20k plus worth of value. So how do we have that much money into a hobby? Because it isn't a one time deal. We spend it slowly and build over time. So it doesn't crush our wallet all at once, except Mark apparently (just kidding).

By doing it this way not only don't we feel the loss of funds as deeply but we also spread our 'investment' out. In financial terms, we diversify our portfolio. This in turn provides a safety net. If one can (like the Tiger mentioned above) is suddenly discovered in quantity and quality its value will crash. Then you will never recover your $20k 'investment'. If you obtain 20 cans at $1,000 each and this happens, you still have $19k plus worth of cans and will probably still recover your total 20k in a short period of time. It short, its safer.

While most of us don't look at our cans, signs, brewerianna, etc. as an investment, we recognize that there is a lot of money on our walls. Money we don't really want to lose. So we acquire our collections in the safer, easier, and more diverse way. Not risking a one time big purchase. This puts those top tier cans out of our reach.

I feel that the greatest number of beer can collectors falls into this this category.

Fortunately we can still have a great time and collect tons of cool stuff without having to spend that type of coin if we don't want to. That's what makes it a great hobby. There's something for everyone. Many different ways to acquire items, different buy in points, different clubs, all of it.

P.S. That's one of the biggest misconceptions that I see repeatedly on this site. That there is a right or wrong way to do this hobby. People calling others crazy for what they spend or insulting them for not digging it out the ground themselves. This is why Facebook is so popular. People want to share their stories and their stuff without having to defend it. There is little difference (in my opinion) between working a weeks worth of overtime in in order to buy a can versus spending a week out digging it up from the ground. Both groups busted their asses to get something they wanted and are damn proud of it when they're done. And both should be celebrated for doing so. Period.
A true friend will lie for you but not to you.

User avatar
Clarkston1
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:08 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 23278
eBay name: jremund
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Location: Tampa, FL
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 40 times
Status: Offline

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#13

Post by Clarkston1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Simple math- Spending $10,000 on a can work works out to just about $28 a day over the coarse of a year.
Budget and save your $$.
A lot of the nice clean cans on my wish list will cost less than that, maybe $1,000 to $5,000...$3 to $15 per day over a year.
So I think the vast majority of people here can afford to spend this amount if they just budget and save according but choose not to because they have other priorities.

Plusonegolfer
Cone Top
Cone Top
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Location: Houston
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 33 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#14

Post by Plusonegolfer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:10 pm

I do appreciate the comments, and generally agree with most of them. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm a guy who has collected and sold now three times over the past forty years - and I'm at it yet again. Money is not my issue, although my stash is not bottomless and I don't buy just anything - on the other hand even though I purposely have a limited number of cans on the shelf, I am endeavoring to buy the highest quality stuff I can find. I'm not sure if I'm right, but the rarest art work never seems to lose its value, so I generally think the same for very rare cans. I am fully aware that new finds can affect future values, but the one and two-of-a-kind items in great condition aren't getting any younger - it won't be long before some of these are close to 80-90 years old. I plead guilty to owning a bunch of cans worth over $10K and a couple handful much more... The large amount of available inventory is going to be interesting over the next couple of years as many folks are rightfully wondering how that's going to play out. Will folks continue to pay the big numbers for some of the stuff now in the hands of dealers - and for how long?. That inventory is really significant, and the amount of high priced stuff is large. It's going to be interesting...

It would be very interesting to me to know which cans folks would pay the most for? I'm not trying to corner anyone, but some cans are super rare but with very nondescript labels; others are quite beautiful and rare but technically not as rare as the one with a nondescript label. Condition obviously is key.

User avatar
Rand
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4589
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:46 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Location: Yosemite National Park, CA
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 201 times
Zodiac:
Contact:
Status: Online
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#15

Post by Rand » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm

In my opinion....the can I would pay the most for is the Krueger Special. The rarity starts the ball rolling, then the oddball OI panels helps cement it, and finally the fact that it's the first can kinda brings it home. As to:
mtracy64 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 pm
Leon wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 pm
SO, Rand. what is the most you paid for a can????? & what was it???????? LEON.
Jacob Ruppert Bock I'd guess.

Marc
Liebmann's....paid the most for that.....JRBock came in second. Atlas Yorkshire may fit in there somewhere, but that was payment for work so money didn't actually change hands.
Rand Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta

User avatar
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Rochester, MI
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#16

Post by mtracy64 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm of the opinion that the smartest way to collect anything is to educate yourself, figure out what you like, and buy the best stuff you can afford. Over time, good stuff gets better and mundane stuff becomes more mundane. I don't always follow my own advice, though. Rust is in my blood, and I'm chasing specific groups of cans that include numerous extremely rare cans. I try not to be stupid, but I'm more interested in having fun than in being the guy who collects most intelligently. As was noted above . . . it's your hobby, so do whatever you need to do to please yourself as long as that includes respecting the hobby and the other collectors.

I considered the Class Beer and Waldorf Bock the finest cans in the hobby until the Krueger's Special turned up. The tall skinny OI's, any Pilgrim, the early Red Tops, Dingle Bay, the first Genesee Beer, a good number of early Bocks, such as Neuweiler's, Peter Doelger and Krueger's, several Monarch Brewing Co. cans, Kent Ale, the New Yorkers, Primo, Arrow English Style Ale, these are the extremely rare flats that come to mind first for me.

The Gibbons Bock is the finest cone I've seen, with the Silver Beer right on its heels. Most of the rest of the cones I'd list are J-Spouts, but the Clipper is a notable exception. The Bock J's, Silver Dime, Wacker, Wacker Little Dutch, Old Ox Head Ale, Arbee, Chevy Ale, Frederick's, I could go on and on.

One thing we learned from Gene's first sale in 2015 is that there is more idle cash in the hobby waiting to be spent than most people thought. It will be interesting and instructive to continue to watch this unfold.

Marc

User avatar
oldmoneytexan
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Posts: 2819
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:56 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 880
BCCA Number: 32879
eBay name: oldmoney_texan
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Location: Prosper, Texas
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 86 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#17

Post by oldmoneytexan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Wrestling Nut wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:19 am
My thoughts....

Most people don't have 20k to throw around. Having said that, I see many collections shown that have 20k plus worth of value. So how do we have that much money into a hobby? Because it isn't a one time deal. We spend it slowly and build over time. So it doesn't crush our wallet all at once, except Mark apparently (just kidding).

By doing it this way not only don't we feel the loss of funds as deeply but we also spread our 'investment' out. In financial terms, we diversify our portfolio. This in turn provides a safety net. If one can (like the Tiger mentioned above) is suddenly discovered in quantity and quality its value will crash. Then you will never recover your $20k 'investment'. If you obtain 20 cans at $1,000 each and this happens, you still have $19k plus worth of cans and will probably still recover your total 20k in a short period of time. It short, its safer.

While most of us don't look at our cans, signs, brewerianna, etc. as an investment, we recognize that there is a lot of money on our walls. Money we don't really want to lose. So we acquire our collections in the safer, easier, and more diverse way. Not risking a one time big purchase. This puts those top tier cans out of our reach.

I feel that the greatest number of beer can collectors falls into this this category.

Fortunately we can still have a great time and collect tons of cool stuff without having to spend that type of coin if we don't want to. That's what makes it a great hobby. There's something for everyone. Many different ways to acquire items, different buy in points, different clubs, all of it.

P.S. That's one of the biggest misconceptions that I see repeatedly on this site. That there is a right or wrong way to do this hobby. People calling others crazy for what they spend or insulting them for not digging it out the ground themselves. This is why Facebook is so popular. People want to share their stories and their stuff without having to defend it. There is little difference (in my opinion) between working a weeks worth of overtime in in order to buy a can versus spending a week out digging it up from the ground. Both groups busted their asses to get something they wanted and are damn proud of it when they're done. And both should be celebrated for doing so. Period.


I've won several cans where someone posted, "Who's the idiot that overpaid for this?"

hemmings
Rust Master
Rust Master
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 am
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: rareamerica
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Location: Gainesville, FL
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#18

Post by hemmings » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 pm

Dear Old$Texan, Dammit Man, they told you not to get that Alligatored Stoneys...... You stay away from that Grain Belt 16 too now ya'hear.... Andy
If you have Schmidt scenic cans: white back, 12oz drafts, and most gold ones in either flat or zip I'd love to talk. Also interested in irtp and older Gluek labels.

User avatar
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8083
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:43 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
BCCA Number: 31791
eBay name: beamer911
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 45 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#19

Post by Beamer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Neat post. Never really thought about looking at my meager collection and running the numbers as to what I have acquired over the years. $750 is the most I have ever paid for a can at CanVention in Cleveland. There a few cans from Indiana that I may hit the low 4 figure amount, but not many. Sure enjoy the RB and our diverse collecting interests.
A Promise Kept

User avatar
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Rochester, MI
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#20

Post by mtracy64 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 pm

oldmoneytexan wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:14 pm
Wrestling Nut wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:19 am
My thoughts....

Most people don't have 20k to throw around. Having said that, I see many collections shown that have 20k plus worth of value. So how do we have that much money into a hobby? Because it isn't a one time deal. We spend it slowly and build over time. So it doesn't crush our wallet all at once, except Mark apparently (just kidding).

By doing it this way not only don't we feel the loss of funds as deeply but we also spread our 'investment' out. In financial terms, we diversify our portfolio. This in turn provides a safety net. If one can (like the Tiger mentioned above) is suddenly discovered in quantity and quality its value will crash. Then you will never recover your $20k 'investment'. If you obtain 20 cans at $1,000 each and this happens, you still have $19k plus worth of cans and will probably still recover your total 20k in a short period of time. It short, its safer.

While most of us don't look at our cans, signs, brewerianna, etc. as an investment, we recognize that there is a lot of money on our walls. Money we don't really want to lose. So we acquire our collections in the safer, easier, and more diverse way. Not risking a one time big purchase. This puts those top tier cans out of our reach.

I feel that the greatest number of beer can collectors falls into this this category.

Fortunately we can still have a great time and collect tons of cool stuff without having to spend that type of coin if we don't want to. That's what makes it a great hobby. There's something for everyone. Many different ways to acquire items, different buy in points, different clubs, all of it.

P.S. That's one of the biggest misconceptions that I see repeatedly on this site. That there is a right or wrong way to do this hobby. People calling others crazy for what they spend or insulting them for not digging it out the ground themselves. This is why Facebook is so popular. People want to share their stories and their stuff without having to defend it. There is little difference (in my opinion) between working a weeks worth of overtime in in order to buy a can versus spending a week out digging it up from the ground. Both groups busted their asses to get something they wanted and are damn proud of it when they're done. And both should be celebrated for doing so. Period.


I've won several cans where someone posted, "Who's the idiot that overpaid for this?"
And, to your credit, you didn't scurry off to the internet's largest cesspool and abandon us here. I think anybody who followed those discussions came away from them realizing that you know the stuff you're buying as well as anybody does.

Marc

hemmings
Rust Master
Rust Master
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 am
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: rareamerica
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Location: Gainesville, FL
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#21

Post by hemmings » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Been thinking about this now for a bit and was struck by how similar this discussion is to the articles Ken White and the Pierce's did in BCM in 78-79 when cans were starting to hit the 400 mark publicly and 1000+ in auctions and private sales (or so it seemed to a kid who read everything). In Dec 1978 Ken White had an ad for quarts he wanted and what he'd pay.. 3 or 4 at 350-400 and that was his limit. His for sale ad had nothing over about 250 except a Cab Cream Ale that was POR. In some respects its just we are all getting to be older and the hobby reflects that in the rare stuff stays strong and the more available stuff doesn't more or drops- EXcept! as the hobby matures we all have a way better handle on which brewery made the tough variety of whatever brand. Coupled with the variations in juice-fan tab-zip tops, or can company variations. More cans sort out as being tougher than we all thought for what 20 years 30 years?

I follow a stamp site kinda like the RB forums and to see the fine hairs being split in that hobby, and don't get me started on coins, it kind of mind boggling. You could have a Z grill 1870s stamp and not tell because it is on its original envelope- a Million dollars sitting there and you can't tell without destroying the original context. Good lord, if we got into shades of color differences (like the Likek 678 679 thing in another topic) we could drive ourselves nuts.

The number of unique, but could turn up at any moment, cans puts us in a strange position compared to stamp collectors. Bill Gross (Pimco guy years ago) put together what is debated as either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd COMPLETE collection of US stamps (at least of the 19th C. which is where it really matters). If you had that kind of money you might be able to shake loose the one of a kind things over a lifetime. He did it in about 10/15 years but it cost him millions. The first sale of just a part net something like 11 mil and the next one put the total over like 28 mil.

Maybe in terms of collection building, with or without popping 20k cans, how many million dollar can collections are out there? Certainly some that sold years ago would break that now- Garard sure comes to mind. Others today must have come close if not broke it- Stark? others more active or around that I don't want to name... but you can think of several in the neighborhood. How many would break 5? any? you get to 10 million and I bet there has never been a collection so good that even today would sell for that much.

In many respects beer can collecting is still a young hobby, even if we aren't, and a lot of this still remains to shake out. Sorry so long... hope its thought provoking... Andy

I
If you have Schmidt scenic cans: white back, 12oz drafts, and most gold ones in either flat or zip I'd love to talk. Also interested in irtp and older Gluek labels.

User avatar
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Rochester, MI
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#22

Post by mtracy64 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Wrestling Nut wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:19 am
My thoughts....

Most people don't have 20k to throw around. Having said that, I see many collections shown that have 20k plus worth of value. So how do we have that much money into a hobby? Because it isn't a one time deal. We spend it slowly and build over time. So it doesn't crush our wallet all at once, except Mark apparently (just kidding).
The funny thing is, it wasn't long ago that I was patting myself on the back for the restraint I showed when Gene put the cones and non-OI's up for sale. Oh, and I bought exactly one can ($350) between August and April. I was overdue, LOL. I do like to keep a good-sized can fund for emergencies, though, and this is the second time Gene wiped it out. He did it with ten cans last time, over the course of 8 - 9 months, but . . . the Bocks were on the table this time. I highly recommend stepping way outside your normal price range about once a decade, just don't tell your wife I said so.

I also knew I could replace a good chunk of the money fairly quickly. I've been meaning to sell a bunch of stuff I used to collect for a long time, but I lacked sufficient motivation to put the time into it. I've done well enough at that to order up a couple more cans . . .

Marc

User avatar
barfly
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 am
Been thanked: 21 times
Status: Offline

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#23

Post by barfly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Young Hobby Do what you want and let the next guy do the same. I collect Self Opening cans, a lot of deep pockets are into the High End Flats and Cones and more power to them. The Big Fish swim where ever they want but I stay in the shallow end of the pool. There's more movement of cans now than there has been in the last 2/3 years and it's fun again! Our hobby is for the average guy working a job but is still able to appreciate the history, art, geography, mysteries, surprises, etc. that can be found only in this hobby. After a while you may see it as an investment when you begin to place a value on your own collection but what fun it was assembling it! I'll leave off with one last thought; when you are sitting on the shore watching the ocean you may see a lot of Big Waves coming in but the real question is; 'Is the Tide coming in or going out?' :smt017

DaveNH
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1016
BCCA Number: 6727
eBay name: drt1r5
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: New Hampshire
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 136 times
Zodiac:
Contact:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#24

Post by DaveNH » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Simply fascinating perspectives and thoughts on collecting and prices. I’m an old newbie having been back in the hobby for only 8 years, so I really don’t have a perspective on where prices were and how things now compare to the “old days”. I try to keep it pretty simple by collecting what I like and what’s in my niche without going too berserk. At the end of the day, I collect old beer cans that I like and don’t worry if or how I’m going to get my money back one day.
Thanks. Dave

User avatar
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Posts: 16730
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:13 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Mopar City
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 267 times
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#25

Post by Leon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm

I'd be happy to settle for a couple of more common cans like Townhouse & Niborg then those super rare cans mentioned above. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?

User avatar
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 am
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Independence, Oregon
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#26

Post by jinsequa » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Within the last 5 years I basically ran out of PacNW cans to collect that were attainable for under 3 figures. In the last few years I moved into 4 figure territory just to get the few I am missing. I bought several from Gene Judd and recently from Dan Morean’s site that went well into the 4 figure territory. I got to do what I got to do....or start collecting something outside the PacNW. 5 figures definitely out of my ballpark.

Eric Palmer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Rochester, MI
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#27

Post by mtracy64 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Rand wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm
In my opinion....the can I would pay the most for is the Krueger Special. The rarity starts the ball rolling, then the oddball OI panels helps cement it, and finally the fact that it's the first can kinda brings it home. As to:
mtracy64 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 pm
Leon wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 pm
SO, Rand. what is the most you paid for a can????? & what was it???????? LEON.
Jacob Ruppert Bock I'd guess.

Marc
Liebmann's....paid the most for that.....JRBock came in second. Atlas Yorkshire may fit in there somewhere, but that was payment for work so money didn't actually change hands.
Yeah, Liebmann's and Atlas Yorkshire Ale, both easily worthy. You must do some pretty fancy work to get paid in top-shelf OI's!

Marc

User avatar
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2303
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Location: Rochester, MI
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 69 times
Zodiac:
Status: Offline
United States of America

Re: Very Expensive Cans

#28

Post by mtracy64 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:21 pm

jinsequa wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm
Within the last 5 years I basically ran out of PacNW cans to collect that were attainable for under 3 figures. In the last few years I moved into 4 figure territory just to get the few I am missing. I bought several from Gene Judd and recently from Dan Morean’s site that went well into the 4 figure territory. I got to do what I got to do....or start collecting something outside the PacNW. 5 figures definitely out of my ballpark.

Eric Palmer
Good for you! Would love to see what you got, if you're inclined to share. There are a lot of great cans in your specialty. I was hoping more guys would share their take on the "Just Got Back From Gene's . . ." thread once it was resurrected.

Despite what I did here, I still consider a $2K can expensive. I let my mind wander a bit higher than that, but everything I could think of was $2K-ish or less, or up in five-figure territory. There are lots of $5K cans in the hobby, and I am quite fond of a number of them, but the number I would actually spend $5K on is extremely small.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”