Aside Wax, what have you put on your cans to preserve?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Aside Wax, what have you put on your cans to preserve?

Post by willssoda »

Found this in a yard sale today and was wondering if anyone has ever used this product and if it would be good for use on cans?
Attachments
BA7D27D6-9D55-47A6-ADAD-6969D047C746.jpeg

Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Aside Wax, what have you put on your cans to preserve?

Post by Rand »

I made a comment in the "To Re-Lid or not" thread....that anything you do to a can takes it further from the original and in my opinion reduces it's value....and you'll never ever be able to go back. That was mostly said about new lids, but it applies to touch up, acids, waxes, etc etc etc. I bring this up because your subject line implies that by putting something on your cans you "preserve" them.....and my position is that not only do you not preserve them, you damage them. Perhaps, in some super humid environments, extra steps should be taken to protect them....like a dehumidifier or something....but slathering foreign substances on cans is just as likely to damage the can's value as "preserve" it.

My $0.02....your mileage will vary.
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
oldmoneytexan
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 880
BCCA Number: 32879
eBay name: oldmoney_texan
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldmoneytexan »

Rand wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:37 am Perhaps, in some super humid environments, extra steps should be taken to protect them....like a dehumidifier or something....
Agree 1000%. The environment ruins cans more than anything. Smoke, sunlight, humidity, dust, heat, etc,... do more damage to old cans than anything.

Well said, Rand.
CrustyRusty
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1998
United States of America

Post by CrustyRusty »

Yeah, I get the "keep the can original" thing, and I do my best to find nice examples of cans and keep them that way, BUT do you wash and wax your car to help prevent mother natures wrath?, especially leased vehicles and for people without a garage to keep them out of the elements, even though while at work or any other time the vehicle has to be parked out in the elements for a time, don't hear anyone complaining about someone that does that to their vehicle, unless of-coarse they're doing it wrong, yes, I've used a polishing/cleaner on some of my cans with great results and have seen nothing happen to these cans to make me not use it again, and I do agree with keeping cans from high humid areas and direct sunlight. I know newer vehicles use much different paints but they still need to be cared for, especially at todays prices for them.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

There's a difference in intent between a utilitarian device and a collectible. With a piece of household equipment like that, all manner of decisions are made up to and including slapping on stickers with political opinions and a running count of "babies on board". With a collectible, the intent is typically to hold, possess, admire, and revel in the original item and protect it for the future until the next collector takes it over. Anything you do to it, takes it further and further from its original state and in most cases you can't go back. I'm sure there were people in the 60s who repainted Neuweiller Bock cans and thought it made it better and would do it again. Now that it passed to me, I'm screwed and can't undo the "improvement".
IMG_2097.JPG
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
CrustyRusty
Rust Master
Rust Master
Year Started Collecting: 1998
United States of America

Post by CrustyRusty »

Rand wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:38 pm There's a difference in intent between a utilitarian device and a collectible. With a piece of household equipment like that, all manner of decisions are made up to and including slapping on stickers with political opinions and a running count of "babies on board". With a collectible, the intent is typically to hold, possess, admire, and revel in the original item and protect it for the future until the next collector takes it over. Anything you do to it, takes it further and further from its original state and in most cases you can't go back. I'm sure there were people in the 60s who repainted Neuweiller Bock cans and thought it made it better and would do it again. Now that it passed to me, I'm screwed and can't undo the "improvement".
IMG_2097.JPG
I'm only referring to original cans and I think that's what Will was asking as well, look what original vintage cars are selling for over restored cars...
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

I wax nice cans, but use light oil on grade 2-5 cans. The oil penetrates and I believe helps preserve the can from rust. Same effect as WD-40, except that uses a solvent to deliver the needed oil. Keepers of iron relics use paraffin wax to preserve and make them look better after electrolysis.
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
United States of America

Post by Beamer »

I wax my clean cans. Never thought it would add or decrease value. Then can wraps after waxing.
Mike S
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 32564
Zodiac:

Post by Mike S »

How does wax permanently alter a can? Wax can be removed but you might want to be careful what you use to take it off. A de-greaser that is safe for the paint is all that's needed.

Mike s
crimepup518@aol.com

"I've never wished a man dead, but I've read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain
chicagocans
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by chicagocans »

Beamer wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 pm I wax my clean cans. Never thought it would add or decrease value. Then can wraps after waxing.
Leaving can wraps on cans long-term can be harmful (I was told they actually "capture" or generate moisture and have seen older, damaged collections that support this theory).
chicagocans
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by chicagocans »

Rand wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:37 am I made a comment in the "To Re-Lid or not" thread....that anything you do to a can takes it further from the original and in my opinion reduces it's value....and you'll never ever be able to go back. That was mostly said about new lids, but it applies to touch up, acids, waxes, etc etc etc. I bring this up because your subject line implies that by putting something on your cans you "preserve" them.....and my position is that not only do you not preserve them, you damage them. Perhaps, in some super humid environments, extra steps should be taken to protect them....like a dehumidifier or something....but slathering foreign substances on cans is just as likely to damage the can's value as "preserve" it.
Rand:

While I appreciate your "purist" approach, there's a huge difference between touch-ups/repainting cans and cleaning cans. Maximizing and protecting the can's value and appearance with a little elbow grease is logical and sensible and does not fundamentally alter the original can, which was not rusty or filthy at inception. [If you prefer a visible "patina" that accentuates the can's age and environmental history, that's your choice.]

Rolling, lidding/re-lidding, stretching, etc. are another story. These modifications were originally implemented by can dealers who were looking to maximize their profits. Turns out that lots of collectors prefer cans over flat sheets and replacing lids that were removed from the original can for whatever reason. Like cans that were professionally touched-up (versus sloppy/obvious do-it-yourself jobs like the Neuweiler's Bock), the big question that arises is whether the "restoration" work is disclosed to subsequent owners. While some sellers are very straight-forward (Dan B. always mentions if he even suspects a new lid on a can), others are at times less forthcoming or observant.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Post by oldindiapaleale »

(versus sloppy/obvious do-it-yourself jobs like the Neuweiler's Bock),

I kind of like that repainted Neuweiler's Bock can.

Anybody that had those plastic model car kits in the 60s and had to paint them could appreciate the time and effort involved to get them to look any thing close to the picture on the box.

I now feel inspired to take my worthless grade 3/4/5 dumpers and turn them into works of art.

However, I do not recommend any kind of clear coat on rusty cans. It just seems to preserve the damage.
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

AS an RBer, many of my cans have patches of heavy rust and rust nodules. I use long acid soaks followed with wire brushes and abrasives on lids and seams. On the body, light tooth brushing. On lids and seams and the worst rust patches on the body, I prefer removing as much as I can, even if it leads to a hole, which means no steel was left. These areas get wire brushed and oiled.. I find light machine oil to be can-friendly, acts as preservative, cleaner and shiner. I also use polishing compound on stained cans.
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

BrooklynBeer wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 pm Jubilee kitchen wax. Made for painted appliances. Have used it on trays and cans for well over 35 years with no ill affects.
Interesting. Never heard of this, I will have to look into this. Thanks
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”