Lone Star Handy Keg Gold Can Question ??

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

JohnLi67
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1103
BCCA Number: 34303
eBay name: johnlij
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Lone Star Handy Keg Gold Can Question ??

Post by JohnLi67 »

Here is a question about a Lone Star pull tab can for all of you experts. (especially the Texas guys). Lone Star produced a Gold colored version of the Handy Keg Draft Beer can. It was some sort of a promotional can that was from the 1,000,000th Barrel in 1965. Were these cans released all together or were they inserted in packs as a type of prize? What is the deal on these and what is the opinion on how many of these exist? Any information would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of my gold can next to the "normal" silver Handy Keg.

Thanks, John
Attachments
lone.JPG

Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 23865
Year Started Collecting: 1979
United States of America

Re: Lone Star Handy Keg Gold Can Question ??

Post by Longhorn Mike »

We have done the math on this before. If it truly came from the 1,000,000th barrel, there is 31 gallons in a US beer Barrel. There is 128 FL oz in a gallon, so that equals 3,968 FL oz. Divided by 12 fl oz, that is only 330 12 ounce cans.

There is no way that was the total number of cans produced in my opinion. I've always heard that a minimum can order was in the number of 10,000 cans. This makes more sense.

Even though it is a tough tab top can to get, especially if it's clean, it seems that most advanced collectors have one, especially here in Texas. I have seen a few available with bank tops, as well. Back when the Lone Star brewery was open, there was a million barrel can sealed in clear plastic on display in the Buckhorn Hall of Horns on-site museum.

Usually one of the big dealers always have one in their totes, and it seems there have been a few available at every Canvention. I guess the going rate is about $300 for one now.

How were they packaged is an interesting question. I wonder why they never made a bottle label. I have never seen special million barrel can packaging. I would guess they were placed in regular six and / or 12 packs and sold until the supply was exhausted. I believe all the cans were gold and that they were not placed in with a group of normal cans. Also, I believe they were sold in Lone Star's main market in the counties in and around San Antonio and Austin. Not so sure about Dallas or Houston, but I don't think they were sold there.

- Mike
Collector of Texas and Louisiana cans and signs.

Iron Guts Union #21
[
oldmoneytexan
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 880
BCCA Number: 32879
eBay name: oldmoney_texan
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Lone Star Handy Keg Gold Can Question ??

Post by oldmoneytexan »

This was on eBay a while back and may shed some light on this. I was outbid at the last second.

$_57-3.JPG
$_57-4.JPG
$_57-5.JPG
$_57-6.JPG
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”