Ok...Who Scored the Krueger Bock OI?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

e61096
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 585
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: RUSTYCAN585
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Ok...Who Scored the Krueger Bock OI?

Post by e61096 »

WANTED: KENT ALE, CHIEF, BETTER FOODS, HOLLYWOOD RANCH, TRUMPS, NIBORG, CLASS CAN, R&H SPECIAL XXX ALE, SCHULTZ ALE, MILWAUKEE VALLEY, HAMPDEN MILD ALE W/BEER GLASS, MUG ALE, GOLDEN ROD ALE, RHEINGOLD McSORLEYS
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Ok...Who Scored the Krueger Bock OI?

Post by idigrust »

Someone with $4,950.00 to spare. Good Job whoever you are.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kruegerbock »

I actually heard that a lower offer was made and accepted by the seller
-Al Aprea
JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1279
United States of America

Post by JustJoe »

Don't take this the wrong way but....... Is it rare ? yes. Is it cool ? very ! I'm not taking anything away from this can. If you have the means, great ! If I personal spent 5k on one can without having a 7 figure annual income, well lets just say I'd be splitting my humble tab collection with my wife and her lawyer. Maybe that makes me an enthusiast instead of an avid collector ? Just wondering if it's the proverbial 1% club that can obtain this caliber of can ?
Official Janitor Of The Seam Gazers Society
Jeffboyrd
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 25034
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Jeffboyrd »

Wow right under my nose.I work in Bow.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

JustJoe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:23 pm If I personal spent 5k on one can without having a 7 figure annual income, well lets just say I'd be splitting my humble tab collection with my wife and her lawyer. Maybe that makes me an enthusiast instead of an avid collector ? Just wondering if it's the proverbial 1% club that can obtain this caliber of can ?
@JustJoe .....Nope! I absolutely do not have a 7 figure income and can't even see the 1% from here. With that said, for quite a while it wasn't unusual for me to spend $5K on a single can. However, once I started down that path, I felt less like a collector.....mainly because the stereotypical "collecter" activities kinda stopped.....and I just started beating things down with my checkbook. Wouldn't go to shows, because there just wasn't much there that I could add to my shelf. Quit looking at ebay for the same reason. And more often than not, people would approach me with cans because they new I would throw down the $5K now and then....while I built up a nice collection, it never felt like "collecting"

Since I sold my OI collection, I've been chasing down a new set of stuff that averages $15/ea.....and I haven't felt this excited about my collection in a long time. It's super interesting and I am getting that "collector buzz" again that I haven't felt in a crazy long time. No....dropping the big money is not a pre-requisite to being a collector. There are definitely those out there spending serious coin that I would consider avid collectors.....but that isn't the criteria in my opinion to judge this activity by.

Rand :-)
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
potters66
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 594
BCCA Number: 30854
eBay name: potters66
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by potters66 »

I will agree with Rand about the money spent. When I was specializing in certain breweries I like, Croft put me in Rand's situation. I couldn't find cans or anything else I needed for the collection. I would find little items that were easily purchased for next to nothing but when anything else popped up it was well over the 5K mark. Don't get me wrong I did have fun and yes I did buy a lot of high end items but the only can I needed to upgrade was the Stock Ale quart and green Pilgrim other wise I hit the end.... I think!

Now with that collection gone I pursued my passion for tough rust again along with minis and picnics. Sad thing is everything is in storage right now so I had to start another small collection to make my office look nice. Can ya tell I'm still a mess after all these years! :smt022

Steve
RUSTY BUNCH #594
Ironguts #5 / One Percenter
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

Well then I guess there are many different ways to be a 'collector'. As if we already didn't know this. I rarely go to shows, never turn dirt, only discuss cans with a few other collectors, and do most of my buying/selling on the internet. But you better damn well believe I consider myself a collector. As far as the money goes...that's between me and my wife. It's absolutely none of anyone else's business. I spend my money however I damn well see fit and will not apologize for it. Neither should anyone else above the age of 18 years. Frankly, I am shocked at how many times that subject it broached on this site. I have many cans which I love. Some of my favorites are expensive and some are not. It's never been about money but collecting for the enjoyment of it. That is why I consider myself a collector and not an 'investor in beer cans'.

As far as cars go, I've had three different classic cars. Personally, I feel exactly the opposite of BrooklynBeer. They cost money to purchase, fix, keep road worthy, and drive. There is almost always something to be done on them. Cans, not so much. I buy a can, set it on the shelf and I'm done. No more money spent. It can sit there for 40 years and won't ever cost me another dime. That's why I prefer the cans. I can look at them for free as long as it appeals to me because I own them. But like BrooklynBeer said, "to each his own."

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, Brad
A true friend will lie for you but not to you.
chicagocans
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 1
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by chicagocans »

JustJoe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:23 pm Don't take this the wrong way but....... Is it rare ? yes. Is it cool ? very ! I'm not taking anything away from this can. If you have the means, great ! If I personal spent 5k on one can without having a 7 figure annual income, well lets just say I'd be splitting my humble tab collection with my wife and her lawyer. Maybe that makes me an enthusiast instead of an avid collector ? Just wondering if it's the proverbial 1% club that can obtain this caliber of can ?
That's the reason -- at least partly -- that the founding fathers of this fine Chapter advocated dumping. If you want a can, go out and dig it up. Finding cans in the wild (including "urban dumping") is the great equalizier that evens the playing field.
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by canhawk »

I'm a bottom feeder when it comes to cans. It is a rich world with much to offer, especially when you find the cans unattached to another collector ... i.e., dumping! I have never spent more than $50 on a can and most are under $25.
Last edited by canhawk on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

chicagocans wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:38 pm
JustJoe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:23 pm Don't take this the wrong way but....... Is it rare ? yes. Is it cool ? very ! I'm not taking anything away from this can. If you have the means, great ! If I personal spent 5k on one can without having a 7 figure annual income, well lets just say I'd be splitting my humble tab collection with my wife and her lawyer. Maybe that makes me an enthusiast instead of an avid collector ? Just wondering if it's the proverbial 1% club that can obtain this caliber of can ?
That's the reason -- at least partly -- that the founding fathers of this fine Chapter advocated dumping. If you want a can, go out and dig it up. Finding cans in the wild (including "urban dumping") is the great equalizier that evens the playing field.
Well said.... do I long for a dumping-only chapter and RUSTlings stories from the 80s and 90s, you bet. Times have changed and things are muddier now but still fun. Sad to see RUSTlings down to 4 times a year but nobody wants to take the time to contribute other than banging away on the keyboard for a for sentences on a blog. Perhaps the guys who went dumping had more passion for the hobby (like spending days to weeks at a time out in the woods hunting beer cans) than any other collectors as far as submitting material, and there's few of us dumpers left anymore....

I think a lot of collectors specialize themselves out of the hobby. It's easy to get the first 100 cans of any category, but then they start hitting the $100, $200, $500, and then $1000 can barrier (and the dealers know this.) They knock that one down and hit the $5K barrier and so on. I used to collect only Chicago cans and hit that wall. I never kept what I dug, but now I do and each dumper on the shelf I dug is a reminder of good times with my good buddies. I also collect West Coast IRTP, ODs, and 50s cans that I like. This keeps going to shows fresh because I always come home with something.
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”