Antique Mall Consolation prize

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Antique Mall Consolation prize

Post by OhioCanGuy »

Was in the right part of town today and decided to stop by an Antique Mall that I try to get to a few times a year. Honestly, not sure why I bother as I never really find anything worth the time. I know some of you have. Guess I'm still hoping... someday.

Anyway, today was the normal shtick at this place. A few 90's cans, a few not-really-vintage signs, a few reproduction signs and that's about it.

So, I picked up the following can instead. Why? Not because I collect Petroliana, not because I think I can sell it for more and not because I think it's a paint over. I bought it because it was only $15, because I liked the colors and the overall look. For $15 I walked out of there with something, instead of nothing.

Anyone have any guess to approximate year(s) of this can?
Attachments
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
Last edited by OhioCanGuy on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Antique Mall Consolation prize

Post by BostonBob »

Nice colors and my first job was for an ARCO station that became a Shell station. I may have bought it too rather than go home empty-handed. I had the pleasure of visiting the Heart of Ohio antique mall in Springfield for almost 4 hours one day a few weeks ago and STILL did not finish the building!!! The next day I hit the place up the next exit, but sadly they closed early due to snow coming in. Dratz! I found two real nice Emergency Drinking Water cans from the 50s/60s. I also found a clean Wiedemann's flat and a couple soda cans. It is unreal how many Billy, JR and MASH 4077 cans you see in these places though. I could have spent all day there!
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BostonBob »

As for your Shell can, there is no zip code which indicates it was from before 1962/63? In addition, the use of the word INFLAMMABLE was typically switched to simply FLAMMABLE in the 50s and 60s, although I could not find an exact conversion date for that.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

My Guess would of been the 1970's since it's a screw cap. I always figured they were still using crowntops in the 50's & 60's but could be wrong. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Soda Can Fan
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 10291
eBay name: oldwun
Zodiac:

Post by Soda Can Fan »

I believe that Boston Bob is correct regard lack of zip code; though this would extend into the mid 1960's. I had an extensive collection of these additive cans at one time and screw tops have been around for a very, very long time as I had a number of these that showed 1940's & 1950's vintage autos in the graphics. I would estimate late 1950's on this one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”