Another way to attract new collectors to the hobby!

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Another way to attract new collectors to the hobby!

Post by BostonBob »

This posting is for all the Non-Facebookers out there....since I already posted there. My apologies if you have already seen this post.

Hi All! I know we all want to keep this hobby alive and attract new collectors! My local library actually encourages people to display their various collections.

A few days ago, I shared a selection of my beer & soda cans! The display will be there for the next 4 weeks.

I put a copy of the USBC book and a printout of the BCCA's "History of the Beer Can". I also put a sample of the Krueger K man to represent the 'First Beer Can' and used a nice Pabst OI to show the 'Opening Instructions' often found on the earlier cans. I also put little labels to show local breweries in Massachusetts, but put some cans from NY, CT and RI. I also put some national brands with some labels to show the approximate dates. I think it came out great! Hopefully I get some positive feedback and possibly a few new cans!

Can Dr.
Cone Top
Cone Top

Re: Another way to attract new collectors to the hobby!

Post by Can Dr. »

Bob,
Nice job! One thing I would suggest adding is an example of a few dumpers, maybe a before and after. I have always recommended propping up the dumper or off grade cans because this may encourage someone who has less shine on there cans that there cans are good too. I remember when I first joined the BCCA in the early eighties and my collection was filled with the typical wall paper collection with a spattering of pretty good dumpers. I was not interested in going to the shows because my better cans where just dumpers.
Now looking back I see how some of these dumpers where not only pretty good, but some; Ruppert Bock non OI, the can that has been to the Lewandowskie's, Chappie, Jim. R, as well as a few others, Is still a mountain of a can almost 40 years latter. Also, having dumped Tewksbury and the surrounding towns I have pulled some great labels other then above can: Trumphs, Rheingold pale bock, Bay State Ale, New England Ale, Kings Ale & beer, Boston light quarts, Mule head quart, Harvard beer quart, Hohenadel indian queen quart (the most common quart I have ever dug), Brockert porter, etc., and that is just off the top of my head. In addition to the dumper you could look at off grade indoor That have there problems, but are typically between a dumper, and an indoor can.
An interesting aspect here is to see who you may draw interest from, and what those interest may be. One point I think of here is the dumps, and how we see in well developed town there is always the argument that there is no more dumps, but there are - we just don't have easy access to them on private lots. I'm not sure how much time you have remaining on your display, but I can suport you with some of these off grade cans as well as some pictures of both dumpers as well as indoor off grade (quart crawl cans).
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

That is awesome! What a great idea. I'm am quite sure there are a huge number of people that don't even know beer can collecting/vintage beer can collecting is a thing. I've always said, either you have the collecting gene, or you don't. Who knows who might see that and start something up. Or... might contact you and say "hey, I've got these old cans laying around, you interested?"

As I non-facebooker, thanks for posting here. Glad you did!
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
clevelandcanman11389
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 921
BCCA Number: 11389
eBay name: clevelandcanman11389
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by clevelandcanman11389 »

Hats off to you for being a doer not a talker! Some guys are doing the craft beer shows too
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Excellent idea!
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BostonBob »

Can Dr. wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 am Bob,
Nice job! One thing I would suggest adding is an example of a few dumpers, maybe a before and after. I have always recommended propping up the dumper or off grade cans because this may encourage someone who has less shine on there cans that there cans are good too. I remember when I first joined the BCCA in the early eighties and my collection was filled with the typical wall paper collection with a spattering of pretty good dumpers. I was not interested in going to the shows because my better cans where just dumpers.
Now looking back I see how some of these dumpers where not only pretty good, but some; Ruppert Bock non OI, the can that has been to the Lewandowskie's, Chappie, Jim. R, as well as a few others, Is still a mountain of a can almost 40 years latter. Also, having dumped Tewksbury and the surrounding towns I have pulled some great labels other then above can: Trumphs, Rheingold pale bock, Bay State Ale, New England Ale, Kings Ale & beer, Boston light quarts, Mule head quart, Harvard beer quart, Hohenadel indian queen quart (the most common quart I have ever dug), Brockert porter, etc., and that is just off the top of my head. In addition to the dumper you could look at off grade indoor That have there problems, but are typically between a dumper, and an indoor can.
An interesting aspect here is to see who you may draw interest from, and what those interest may be. One point I think of here is the dumps, and how we see in well developed town there is always the argument that there is no more dumps, but there are - we just don't have easy access to them on private lots. I'm not sure how much time you have remaining on your display, but I can suport you with some of these off grade cans as well as some pictures of both dumpers as well as indoor off grade (quart crawl cans).
Hi Keith! Thanks for the feedback. My display will be there for the next 4 weeks, but I don't have unlimited access. I had to meet the curator or whomever he was. It took me about an hour to setup this display and add some labels. I appreciate your comments, but I really just wanted to show people the history of the beer can and, hopefully, get someone thinking about collecting. Of course I left my email address for any questions or again (hopefully) some people looking to donate some cans. I put the soda cans to interest the kids! At this point, I am not sure I want to go the dumper route.

As this was my first public display, I was also concerned about security. This is a locked case and there are video cameras, but I was not exactly comfortable bringing my most valuable cans such as the Bay State and Mule Head. I did bring my Narragansett PALE (gasp) and the Narragansett Banquet ALE. No doubt there are several thousands of dollars in that case. Hopefully there will be no issues, otherwise I will setup a GOFUNDME page and beg my fellow collectors to help me out! LOL!

I have received dozens of positive comments on my public Facebook page, but those are my friends & family. I will be really excited if I get some emails from the library crowd. Of course, I will provide an update on this later. Thanks for all the positive comments :)
Can Dr.
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by Can Dr. »

Bob,
My pleasure. You have done a nice job. I have only been to the present Tewksbury Library once I think, but I will have to make a stop to see your display.
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

GREAT job Bob!
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

Nice. Here in Elizaethton, TN we have a display case in our courthouse. I've seen displays of car tags and political memorabilia like buttons etc I have wanted to do a display but just haven't gotten round to it. But I will, thanks for sharing hopefully others have both the courthouse and library to choose from. And yes, what a great way to find those sleeper cans that someone has lying round.
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
jomama
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 184
BCCA Number: 23423
eBay name: sPouts
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jomama »

Great idea to get collectors to collect old beer cans. But why?
I don't get it. Why grow OUR hobby? OUR hobby being a group of old farts collecting old cans.
Serious question!
(I am a facebooker but do very little on face book regarding cans)

International ALUMINUM BOTTLES WANTED
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1050
BCCA Number: 32806
eBay name: thatsus02
Year Started Collecting: 1990
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by thatsus02 »

I have been making plans to build a traveling display to help promote our chapter and the national organizations. Thanks for working for the future.
President, Michigan Chapter of the BCCA / NABA
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”