Odd Painted Seam

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Odd Painted Seam

Post by mrlager428 »

I Won this Can recently off Ebay....I thought it is kinda Coo....I don't think I have ever seen one with this type of Seam before!!....The Seller said it is Rolled??...Does it look Rolled??....I can't tell for sure....I am sure it is just because I don't think this was ever made and on the Market?
Attachments
20180811_172511.jpg
20180811_172558.jpg
20180811_172807.jpg
20180811_172848.jpg

Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Odd Painted Seam

Post by jinsequa »

Looks rolled and with a non-welded or glued seam.
I have a lot of straight sided General and Maier cans with a thin glued seam that your can looks like. The painted seam itself on those cans looks pretty similar to yours but they are actually glued.

Eric
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

jinsequa wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:36 pm Looks rolled and with a non-welded or glued seam.
I have a lot of straight sided General and Maier cans with a thin glued seam that your can looks like. The painted seam itself on those cans looks pretty similar to yours but they are actually glued.

Eric
Ok it does like too be Glued.....Every other one I see has a Wide Non-Painted Seam.I figure this too fall into the Test Can Catagory!...Thank you for Your insite!! :smt023
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
Uncle Jackson
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 929
BCCA Number: 953
eBay name: JLC0953
Year Started Collecting: 1969
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Uncle Jackson »

It looks like a traditional design. I am guessing that the canning company changed the seam from the standard wide seam to the glued seam and the redesign of the label had not been completed so they just filled the area with white paint. Alternatively, the can may have been painted all white as the first step, the the standard wide seam paint design was added later.

My 2 cents.
Jerry Cole
dtsoc
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
eBay name: dtsoc
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by dtsoc »

It looks like it got hook bends, rather than glued. Glued seems will have a definitive raised straight edge. There are roller marks on the edge where it was smoothed down. The white seams are painted proof sheets. I've seen these in a lot of brands over the years. DT
I collect one flavor of rare soda can generations. Also publish Collectible Soda Cans - don't hesitate to contact me with cans you have available or questions about old soda cans.
http://www.collectiblesodacans.com
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

dtsoc wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:05 pm It looks like it got hook bends, rather than glued. Glued seems will have a definitive raised straight edge. There are roller marks on the edge where it was smoothed down. The white seams are painted proof sheets. I've seen these in a lot of brands over the years. DT

Thank you and all the other Valuable Opinions!!...They are very much Appreciated! :smt023
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”