Moving on...

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Re: Moving on...

Post by Leon »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:15 pm Pity the folks that have cans ending tomorrow night on eBay . . .

I do but only 1. :smt022

FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
shubmcs
Zip Top
Zip Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 10884
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by shubmcs »

won a few ...lost a few...Dan has got it down ,really entertaining if I was in it or not...mike
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Leon wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:14 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:10 pm
Leon wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:02 pm only 3 Cans I really wanted, Hopfeiser, Rosalie & Triangle. If I had a extra $2500 laying around I might of got all 3. LEON.
I thought the Class Beer was the most exciting label, but I don't want to play in that price range.

Marc

Considering condition & rarity I thought they'd fit best with my Detroit Regal O/I. I really liked that Atlas Yorkshire Ale & thought it went cheap but way out of my price range. LEON.
Yeah, I like that one too and thought it and the Liebmann's might go higher. It was nice to see the Old Dutch Ale get the respect it deserves. The Ilsner and the dumper Trommer's Bock were amongst the biggest sureprises for me; I X'd them off my list somewhere around $600!

Marc
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

The white Best kinda surprised me, jumped up pretty quick & fast. Thought the Quart Rams Head went cheap. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Thanks for all the interest and support! Honestly, it's good to move some of these cans back into circulation at reasonable prices (Blue and Gold, Rosalie, WF Buffalo, Cream Columbia, Hopfheiser, Fox Deluxe Export etc etc etc).... Glad you all were able to play!
pinnacle-project wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:53 pm How do you feel about the whole experience? I would imagine it's a mixture.
I laughed, I cried, it was better than Hamilton.

Might be too early to give a thoughtful retrospective. However, probably good to make some notes:

1) Breweriania/Morean auctions.....Dan does a top quality job! His photography of the cans, doing the website/auction site, the high-production value flyer, running the auction....great guy..... pleasure to work with.... and from my perspective he did a very good job.

2) Auction vs other sales approaches..... once I made the decision to switch gears, I'm really glad I went the auction route. I shipped my first box to Dan on 6/18.... and here it is 7/28 and it's all over. It's the "rip the band aid off really fast" approach. If we had gone the consignment route, or ebay or some other approach, it would have taken a year to get through it all, it would have been painful, scabs would have come off on the band-aid, and I'm not sure it would have made any more money.

3) The money.....basically I went into this thing expecting to take a bit of a haircut...... and lose some money. Lately I've been upgrading my OI shelf with dealer cans and auction cans....which never come at rock bottom prices. However from the early analysis of the auction results, I'm very much in the "break even" category......and maybe even made a little money. Nothing life altering. Mostly just happy to be more or less in the same place I was when I started. Now, as noted above, there were some great deals to be had by the bidders that came at my expense, but from my perspective they were balanced out by some great deals I got on some of the high end cans.....like I said, it was more or less a wash.....and I'm absolutely tickled with that!

4) When you step off the auction "cliff".....it's pretty scary, because even though I was expecting to take a loss, I didn't want it to be a blood bath either. Even as of yesterday or the day before, it was feeling really bad, like my haircut was going to be more of a scalping. Now that it's over, it's fine....but it was .....uh..... let's call it "tense" for a few days.

5) Haven't had any "sellers remorse".....still think it was the right thing. Am thinking lots about wind tunnel cans lately....and that's fun. Fun to be learning and studying and hunting and organizing again..... instead of just dusting cans that never move or change.

So, in summary...."how do I feel about the experience?"..... great! I think all the right decisions and moves and what not were made and don't think it could have gone much better. Could have gone differently with another approach, but like I said, ripping the band-aid off seemed to be the right thing for me. Finally, really like getting my cans back in circulation....time for other to enjoy them for a while.

Rand :-)
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

Rand.......Cream Columbia? Didn't see that in your auction unless you meant the red/white one?
(Just wondering since I have been forever looking for an enamel version of the shiny metallic Columbia you sold and would be miffed if I missed that one...)

You certainly put some cans back into circulation that I had only seen in the books. I was certainly pleased to pick up:

(1) Heidelberg Du Feine can- I had only seen one for sale prior to today and that was 25 years ago....
(2) Finer Flavor Ale - I was pleased to get this can for far cheaper than they were going for at the Portland Canvention...that was good.
(3) WF OD Sicks 6 Select - I had never even seen one before.

Shot my collection up another level.

thanx!

Eric
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Just like when you list on ebay, some will get twice what you'd expect & some will get half what you'd expect. Hopefully it all evens out in the end. I think the get it over with fast approach is the way to go. Less painful. Congrats. LEON.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

jinsequa wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:14 pm Rand.......Cream Columbia? Didn't see that in your auction unless you meant the red/white one?
This one!

http://moreanauctions.com/Columbia_Expo ... OT969.aspx
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

The entire OI auction was out of my collecting area. With that said, some of my thoughts are....

Kings Ale seamed cheap.
All Tru Blu cans (except white one) sold for less than I expected.
It was really cool to follow live.
Great job done overall but I really enjoyed reading the descriptions as I didn't know much about most of them.
Rand seems universally liked and I'm thrilled that he appears happy and at peace with his decision.
Congrats!

Brad
A true friend will lie for you but not to you.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Brad,

As the winner of three Tru Blu Beers and the underbidder on the white one, I have to agree with you. I have the pair of J-Spouts and nice examples of the first three Ale OI's, but my only Beer is a ratty dumper of the first one with the blue stripe. So, fixing that was a priority for me. I didn't know what to expect to pay for the semi-metallic one, but I was happy enough with the prices on all three that I threw a few hundred more at the white one than I had planned on in hopes of a clean sweep.

A couple of small finds on King's Ale in recent years have temporarily brought prices down.

I thought the Hornung's Cream Ale was an absolute steal, and I thought the Jacob Ruppert Bock, Liebmann's and Atlas Yorkshire Ale would each do a couple thousand or so more.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Rand,

I'm glad to hear that you're thrilled with the result. It was smart business on Dan's part to not cede the auction aspect of the market to the traditional auction houses, and he is absolutely doing things the right way (and frequently achieving results that can't be matched anywhere else). That said, it was a substantial leap of faith for both of you to do this with so many offgrade cans included. It hadn't been done before and it's not what Dan is known for, but many of the very rare dumpers performed exceptionally well. I thought all along that the cans that saw a lot of early action were the anomalies, rather than those that did little or nothing early on. However, it's easy to understand your trepidation as you watched it unfold. The length of the auction had to make it even more nerve-wracking. Only now can you truly say you've survived the OI Wars!

Marc
RustyRaindog
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 668
BCCA Number: 20841
eBay name: johnboi71
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
Germany

Post by RustyRaindog »

Enjoy the Du Feine, you were willing to spend more than I could. I almost had it...maybe another will surface in the next 20 years! :smt021

jinsequa wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:14 pm Rand.......Cream Columbia? Didn't see that in your auction unless you meant the red/white one?
(Just wondering since I have been forever looking for an enamel version of the shiny metallic Columbia you sold and would be miffed if I missed that one...)

You certainly put some cans back into circulation that I had only seen in the books. I was certainly pleased to pick up:

(1) Heidelberg Du Feine can- I had only seen one for sale prior to today and that was 25 years ago....
(2) Finer Flavor Ale - I was pleased to get this can for far cheaper than they were going for at the Portland Canvention...that was good.
(3) WF OD Sicks 6 Select - I had never even seen one before.

Shot my collection up another level.

thanx!

Eric
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

$3500+ for Black Eagle, I sure wish I would of Bought Teds in the old days for $475 with no top & his mint one with top for $750. A couple years later another one of teds mint one was $1,500. wish I would of bought all 3. LEON.
Attachments
BlackEagleLarwoodCatalog.JPG
Summitcan
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 894
BCCA Number: 29714
eBay name: Summitcan.573
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Christmas Island

Post by Summitcan »

is that a 1995 catalog ?
To me it makes Goog Goog sense !
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Looks like Rands Auction cans are showing up on ebay. This Lucky went cheap at $225. Now you can Buy It Now on ebay for $600.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dazzling-Lucky ... SwQ61bZLom
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”