Pabst OI Peoria Heights Lilek book upgrade?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Kotto
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 4
BCCA Number: 20507
eBay name: jkottocans
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Germany

Pabst OI Peoria Heights Lilek book upgrade?

Post by Kotto »

I acquired this can recently from a label collector who had found it covered with dust and a bit of rust staining. My intention was to clean it (which I did) and then trade or sell it (not sure now!). Not generally being a variation guy, I didn't really notice the red opener at first, nor the fact that it has a red opener AND no "Blue Ribbon" text on the face. Checking Mr. Lilek's book, he rates this can as an R-9, with no Grade 1 samples known to the author. The can that I lucked into is considerably better than the the can pictured in the book (Page 653, unless I didn't read all of the fine print).

I know that Kevin worked hard travelling the country photographing collections and documenting the numbers of each can he saw, but no human could see all collections and be able to know all specimens known of each variation of opening instruction can. Despite how great a resource the book is, we know that many cans were understandably missed. So, please check your collections and Pabst OI variations and let us all know if you have one of these and in what shape. Do I have something to be excited about here, or should I go back to the evening news?

-John
Attachments
IMG_5169.JPG
IMG_5170.JPG
IMG_5171.JPG
IMG_5172.JPG

Trade me your Lemp Brewery stuff!
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Pabst OI Peoria Heights Lilek book upgrade?

Post by Rand »

You definitely have something to be excited about....but it is clearly not an R10. I've had two different ones in the past.....but now don't even one of them on my shelf. Sold them off some time ago. Absolutely a tough can.....and in great shape!
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Beercanpete
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 3
BCCA Number: 15082
eBay name: beercanpete
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:

Post by Beercanpete »

I have one too, but not nearly as nice as yours--mine about a grade 3. Sure is a nice pick-up!
Woody
Rust Master General
Rust Master General

Post by Woody »

Always cool when they to decide to cut out the bottom instead of the top. Cool can John! Woody
Bob L
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 121
BCCA Number: 25030
eBay name: bnglavelle
Zodiac:

Post by Bob L »

There was a find of them a few years back, but after the OI book. Sold via Breweriana.com. Still a tough can, but not R9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I had one before lileks book came out in grade 2. Lewandowski's picked up a nice grade 1- off of ebay before Lileks book came out. After the find of them after Lileks book came out I picked up a nice one, maybe grade 1 cheap. I thought Dan Baker Found them? Not sure how many was found but a few. Not quit as tough as it used to be but still tough. LEON.

P.S. Lileks Supplement book inicates 3 nice grade 1's identified/Surfaced after his original book came out & Supplement now calls it a R9/R9. With the other find after the supplement the rating even lower.
Attachments
pabstrofrontdedented.JPG
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
shubmcs
Zip Top
Zip Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 10884
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by shubmcs »

Nice surprise for the shelf always fun to find an upgrade is actually a new variation...to retain. The time Kevin put into the hobby chasing cans and recording info in a time of how many more collections back in the day...dumb question I have to ask is how many more unknown variations might there be...and I am wondering has Kevin ever been acknowledged for his dedication to the hobby...Mike
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

shubmcs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:03 pm Nice surprise for the shelf always fun to find an upgrade is actually a new variation...to retain. The time Kevin put into the hobby chasing cans and recording info in a time of how many more collections back in the day...dumb question I have to ask is how many more unknown variations might there be...and I am wondering has Kevin ever been acknowledged for his dedication to the hobby...Mike
good question.....his work produced the best beer can book ever. No other book out there I'm aware of put in that level of detail and structure to their corner of the hobby. There should be some sort of plaque somewhere to him!

Rand :-)
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Here is My Example....If I remember correctly I got this in a Trade with Leon??...Either I traded or bought it.....One or the other Its on My shelf!!
Attachments
20180616_100509.jpg
20180616_100521.jpg
20180616_100532.jpg
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

mrlager428 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 am Here is My Example....If I remember correctly I got this in a Trade with Leon??...Either I traded or bought it.....One or the other Its on My shelf!!
Yeah, I think you did get one from me. But I thought you got the one I pictured above, don't look the same. I think you got my extra at that time. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Leon wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:13 pm
mrlager428 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 am Here is My Example....If I remember correctly I got this in a Trade with Leon??...Either I traded or bought it.....One or the other Its on My shelf!!
Yeah, I think you did get one from me. But I thought you got the one I pictured above, don't look the same. I think you got my extra at that time. LEON.
Yes Leon I know I got it from You...I just cant remember if it was a trade or I bought it??....I know I also got the 2 odd Cans with the Cool before Serving thing and the Tough Blue Ribbon Bock!!!.....You added some Awesome Pabst Cans too My Collection!!!! :smt023 :smt023
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”