Memorial Day...

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Memorial Day...

Post by MI-Cans »

“On Thursday, members of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, or The Old Guard placed American flags at the gravesites of service members buried at Arlington National Cemetery. This tradition, known as “flags in” has been held for more than 60 years, with every available soldier in the regiment placing small American flags at each headstone before Memorial Day weekend to honor fallen service members. According to Arlington National Cemetery’s website, within four hours, they place flags at more than 228,000 headstones and at more than 7,000 niche rows in the Columbarium Courts and the Niche Wall. Flags are also placed at the Tomb of the Union Soldier, and at the memorials on Chaplain’s Hill. Meanwhile, 14,000 flags are placed at the Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home National Cemetery. All flags are removed after Memorial Day, prior to the cemetery opening. The Old Guard has been designated as a ceremonial unit since 1948.”

I see people in the neighborhood packing their vehicles. I see trailers and RV’s coming out of storage lots. I see stores advertising their HUGE holiday sales. Monday is Memorial Day. It’s not about Veterans. (Their day is in November.) This Holiday is about and for those that made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy all these freedoms that we have.

While you enjoy this Holiday with family and friends take a moment and reflect on what it took and what it takes to be free in this country of ours. Yeah, it’s not perfect, but I wouldn’t trade it for anywhere else on this planet. Enjoy the Holiday.

(MI-Cans)
Attachments
Memorial-Day-2018.jpg
original.jpg
Happy-Memorial-Day.jpg
f1bdbf639480e790dcfb89588f78a7b2.jpg
1f1b65cd9767aa66686ab75004ebdb95.jpg

JustJoe
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1279
Year Started Collecting: 1976
United States of America

Re: Memorial Day...

Post by JustJoe »

Well said, my friend. Well said
Official Janitor Of The Seam Gazers Society
Jim Romine
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 185
BCCA Number: 19904
eBay name: mojonitro
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Jim Romine »

It used to be called Decoration Day. When we decorated the graves of the fallen, who sacrificed all to allow us to live the free life we live.
Jim
Always looking for Bock Beer Cans - 1 or 100, mint or dumper.
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Post by oldindiapaleale »

I placed flags on graves for Memorial Day for three years. It is very humbling to see the markers of those KIA during 1945 just days or weeks before the victory. Free people should never forget their sacrifices.
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BostonBob »

Well said, indeed. I see dozens of posts on Facebook with pictures of guys in their uniform, etc. Many people say "Thank you for your service". Well, I am a Veteran, and I am thankful that I am NOT a part of Memorial Day. As you pointed out, this is a day to honor and give thanks to those who paid the Ultimate Sacrifice.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

I see your point but it is better to thank a vet for their service too much than not enough.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
renokenn
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 838
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by renokenn »

And it always amazes me how 50 years has changed the dialog. Always honor those that gave their lives, it the ultimate sacrifice.

EDIT #2: deleted sour grapes
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

I grew up listening to the older generations recount the atrocities they witnessed first hand while they were in Europe. I can’t imagine how they survived all that.

When I was still working, we were finishing up for the day. I was getting ready to leave when I spotted a co-worker at the computer station. Something seemed out of place so I approached him and asked if everything was ok. He looked up and he had a tears in his eyes. He said he looked up an old Army buddy and found that the buddy had passed away. They were in Korea together. The buddy saved his life. They stayed in touch all those years. I stuck around for maybe an hour and a half while he told how things were in Korea during his time there. Several times he started choking up and wiping tears away. I could see that his time there really affected him. So here was this normally good natured, happy and fun loving guy driven to the brink of tears recalling his time there.

Yes, the dialogue has changed. The younger generations take a lot for granted. They haven’t been exposed to any real conflict. What goes on in the world or in this country currently is secondary in importance to their existence.

I noticed that Google places very little importance to anything Veteran or Military related. Check out the Google Doodle for today. It’s one small insignificant mention that doesn’t even recognize the real meaning of the day. Yet, I’ve seen Google Doodles that are extremely detailed, multicolored, animated with a soundtrack to celebrate a famous person’s 245th birthday!

(MI-Cans)

Click to enlarge.
Attachments
Doodle 01.png
Doodle 02.png
BrianS
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by BrianS »

George-Patton-Memorial-Day-e1495845216310.jpg
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu-
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Some dialogue has improved, other has not. I'm guessing Renokenn's 50 year comment was a reference to Vietnam. As we all know, their welcome home was not very welcoming at the time. I think many people are much more appreciative of vets today but non-vets probably still have a difficult time understanding life in the military because they have not experienced it first hand.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”