Maybe A "Not In The Book" Can?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Maybe A "Not In The Book" Can?

Post by MI-Cans »

I believe it is General Brewing, San Francisco, 3 cities, bug upper left on front, bug lower left on back and metallic to my eyes. I don't see it in the BCCA Supplement. Any chance it's a "not in the book" can?

(MI-Cans)

Click to enlarge.
Attachments
LUCKY.jpg

jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Maybe A "Not In The Book" Can?

Post by jinsequa »

Randy Karasek had a previous thread back in 2016 where he noted he had 64 different Lucky "Bug" flats and he had them posted somewhere. (I am on a TV browse that I can't cut and paste) I am sure there are many Unlisted Lucky Bug cans from my own experience and collection.
It is the LISTED "Bug" flats Vol. 1 93 -3,93-4, & 93-5 from Vancouver, WA that I don't believe exist. I have never even seen a picture of one outside USBC I and have never ever met anyone who had one (talked with someone who "thought" he had one and showed me a phone pic where you couldn't read the mandatory). Even Randy Karasek didn't have one or a pic of one. Did they create photos for cans thought to exist in USBC I like happened in Lilek's book? Just wondering...

Eric
Scott
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 442
BCCA Number: 14868
eBay name: No longer in use
Year Started Collecting: 1974

Post by Scott »

jinsequa wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 am
It is the LISTED "Bug" flats Vol. 1 93 -3,93-4, & 93-5 from Vancouver, WA that I don't believe exist. I have never even seen a picture of one outside USBC I and have never ever met anyone who had one (talked with someone who "thought" he had one and showed me a phone pic where you couldn't read the mandatory). Even Randy Karasek didn't have one or a pic of one. Did they create photos for cans thought to exist in USBC I like happened in Lilek's book? Just wondering...

Eric
The "Bug" flats from Vancouver do exist and I have one in my collection. They are amazingly tough for a Lucky. My theory is they were a very short production run that was done in the winter. We typically pit dump at higher elevations that are snowed in during the winter so don't ever find any. Mine was found in an area of Idaho where they don't get a lot of snow and it does have a winter production date.

When I first got back into collecting in the mid 1990's I found a bug can near Portland in pretty poor condition while working. I figured it was the common SF can and it never occurred to me it might be from Vancouver so I just chucked it back into the brush given the condition. A few years later I went back to try and find it with no success.

I know of a rolled 16 oz. Bug can from Vancouver that is in a Northwest collection as well. The owner is on here so maybe he can post a picture.
The luckiest dumpers don't rely on good fortune, the unluckiest do.

The information contained in this communication and any attached documentation may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is intended only for the designated recipient(s).
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

You guys do know that I'm inquiring about a pull tab not a flat?

(MI-Cans)
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

@Randy Karasek He is always gobbling up any Lucky variations......
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

I found the link that Mr. Karasek had and didn't see the can shown there. I looked under General Brewing, Three Cities, Pull Tab. The picture in the upper right, although rusted, looks notched not glued as stated. I'm also somewhat confused. I was under the impression that the seam on a two sided can was always on the left as you look at the can. If I click on any of these cans, it takes me to the four image page of that can. On the left side you can choose to look at an individual image. Every time I click the right side image, it shows the seam. Have I been misinformed and wrong all these years?

Here's the link to Mr. Karasek's page:
http://www.mbcinfo.com/Lucky

(MI-Cans)

Click to enlarge.
Attachments
Lucky Bug SF Tab.png
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

I have not seen nor have a Lucky Lager tab with Vancouver as the mandatory.

That link to my Lucky Lager variations is probably two years out of date. When I hosted it, other than Jon Aho, there was zero interest so I haven't bothered to keep it up-to-date. With respect to that HTML page, that rusted wide seam was incorrect linked image, and should have been to my can below. As for seams left or right, I started my digital photography and web hosting early 2000, and criteria for what I consider as a variation is defined at top of http://www.mbcinfo.com/Lucky

Here is my example of that General/SF/Three City/Glued Seam variation:
Image Image

The following is a quick phone picture of Lucky cans currently on my shelves. I have couple more cans sitting on desk waiting to photograph and would guess around 75-80 total variations. I have a number of duplicates as traders, and if you have a variation I need, would gladly trade you a better condition example (different variation of course) and pay for postage both ways. These should be $5-15 cans but last few shows, seems like most cans now have an extra "0" added to the end of the price.
LuckyLagerVariations.jpg
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”