Post Office Question

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post Office Question

Post by pinnacle-project »

@oldindiapaleale

This question is mostly for Postmaster Billy but I am posting it here instead of via PM because his answer will probably be insightful to others also.

I sold something on ebay and shipped it on February 5 using Priority Mail with the following tracking number.

The package went from Michigan to Kansas City but then turned around and went to Chicago. For the last several days, the tracking entry only indicates it's "on its way" so I do not know where it actually is. Plus, the last several tracking entries occurred at exactly 12:33 PM each day which seems like a strange coincidence.

So far, the buyer has been pretty patient but that will only last so long. He did open a case against me on ebay but he does not appear to be mad yet. I think he only opened the case because he did not know how else to contact me. I went to the Post Office web site and opened a "Search Request" for the package.

Knowing that ebay typically sides with the buyer, my fear is they will refund all his money and then a day later the package will show up on his doorstep. At that point, I will be screwed unless the buyer agrees to re-pay me.

Is there anything else I can do? How much action should I expect from the Search Request I opened? I opened it a couple days ago and so far, I have heard nothing.

Thanks!

By the way, it is not my intent for this to turn into a Post Office bashing thread. I normally have great luck with them but I guess nobody is perfect.

Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Post Office Question

Post by willssoda »

Didn't Chicago just have a snow event? If so might just be backed up a bit. Cool thing about eBay, your covered.
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Diamond State Boy
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:

Post by Diamond State Boy »

My only experience with a search request is a reply from the USPS informing me that they exhausted all efforts with no luck. (Received the email 2 weeks after the package had come back to me) I suspect one of you will receive it eventually. Only time out of thousands I had trouble with so no bashing here.
"Don't lend your hand to raise no flag..atop no ship of fools."
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

I have had a couple of cans take 10 days to 2 weeks to arrive, they usually find their way. The mail is really efficient when all goes as planned but once something gets knocked off the cart I think it takes a few days for it to get flagged so someone actually goes and looks for it. I don't see a need to open a case with ebay at this early stage, sheesh I am sure the buyer can see the tracking info too.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

ConeAddict wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 am . . . I don't see a need to open a case with ebay at this early stage, sheesh I am sure the buyer can see the tracking info too.
The buyer mentioned in the case he opened against me that he had already tracked the package and saw the problem was with the post office. I suspect he just had no idea how to contact me. I just hope somebody at ebay does not refund his money to him while we wait on the post office to move the package in the correct direction again.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

JAL
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by JAL »

pinnacle-project wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:52 am
ConeAddict wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 am . . . I don't see a need to open a case with ebay at this early stage, sheesh I am sure the buyer can see the tracking info too.
The buyer mentioned in the case he opened against me that he had already tracked the package and saw the problem was with the post office. I suspect he just had no idea how to contact me. I just hope somebody at ebay does not refund his money to him while we wait on the post office to move the package in the correct direction again.
I don't think ebay refunds the purchaser's money that quickly once a case is opened. They give the seller a period of time to "resolve the issue" before issuing a refund. Unless the package takes an abnormally long time (several weeks), I think you will be fine.

Agreed, it's become a royal pain that buyer and seller's can't communicate directly once the transaction has taken place. They are so obsessed with loosing a few pennies behind the scene.

JAL
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

You can contact the seller once the payment has been made but that all can be confusing. You're probably right, the buyer just thinks this is how to look into what is holding up the package.
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 756
BCCA Number: 29308
Year Started Collecting: 1978
It’s my birthday
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldcrowncollector »

It is crazy but post office sends packages to odd places many times they say saves money don't see how but the tracking is key without tracking you are screwed but someday somehow. They should be able to track where was scanned it was priority open insurance claim they will find it or try harder.
Oldcrowncollector
Sell me your Centlivre bottles
bantam10
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 866
BCCA Number: 34752
Year Started Collecting: 2000
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by bantam10 »

ConeAddict wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 am . I don't see a need to open a case with ebay at this early stage, sheesh I am sure the buyer can see the tracking info too.
My thoughts exactly but that’s how a lot of people are these days.
Bantam - when you pop a Regal OI, everyone will want to dig with you and no one will give you crap anymore.... until then, Keep On Truckin" !
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 756
BCCA Number: 29308
Year Started Collecting: 1978
It’s my birthday
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldcrowncollector »

Looked at tracking file insurance claim they clearly messed up somewhere after sending to Chicago was scanned out of there so like either it scans again and turns up or they got to answer to where it is in claim
Oldcrowncollector
Sell me your Centlivre bottles
oldindiapaleale
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 892
BCCA Number: 34073
eBay name: record-american
Year Started Collecting: 2200
Ukraine

Post by oldindiapaleale »

Hi, I looked at the tracking info and the package went to KC as it should have, but then Chicago for some unknown reason and then delayed.
The multiple 12:33s are automatic updates every 24 hours from the last real time scan.
Really don't know what to make of this. There was a lot of this during the pre-Christmas days with packages looping back and forth. What needs to happen is for a person, not a machine, to examine the package for any address problems, which will happen at some point.
It is too early to file any lost package insurance claim, but you are covered with priority mail for at least $50 or more if you bought added insurance.
The buyer should have been more understanding before opening a case, but that is what they do. It is headache but you are covered with postal insurance and ebay seller protection. Hope this resolves itself as soon as possible -Postmaster Billy.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Thanks for your thoughts Billy.

2023 Shows Attended

DaddyDewrop
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by DaddyDewrop »

My company ships out packages all the time. 99% of the time they get to the destination with no problem. However, a recent package headed from Milwaukee to California has just spent the past two weeks bouncing back and forth between Des Moines and Chicago! Thankfully, the customer is very understanding, but it's still frustrating for all involved. Seems the new scanners have a few bugs.
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

Last fall, just prior to the big hurricane, I had a guy in Puerto Rico click buy-it-now on a couple of cans I had listed on Ebay. Surprisingly, shipping cost was no different than in the continental US. Anyway, I shipped the cans and a couple days later the hurricane hit. Package was stuck in the Cincinnati USPS hub for like two weeks. Eventually it made it's way on to Puerto Rico. Guy posted positive feedback. I sent him a message to inquire about his situation. I had no idea if he had access to the internet/power until I saw the feedback. Said a lot of damage around him but he had a back up generator for his house so he and his family were fine.

Moral of the story: Through the rain, snow, ice and even a hurricane... the USPS delivers!

Good luck Bryan, I bet it shows up eventually.
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BostonBob »

I have been selling off a large DVD collection that was owned by my brother. All my stuff goes media mail, which is cheap! I had a pkg that went missing in FLA....I opened a case with the USPS and the postal employee in Gainesville (Shamaya(?)) was so polite and professional. She actually called me on my cell phone the very next day and said they were looking into it. They located the pkg and it was delivered within 5 days. She called me again to make sure I was all set. Not bad service for $3!!! Luckily the buyer was understanding....not sure if I got positive feedback, but luckily not neutral or negative. It can be frustrating because it is really beyond your control. Good luck!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”