Is this a Red Blatz Can?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Is this a Red Blatz Can?

Post by mrlager428 »

I came across this picture.....Is it just Me or is there a Red Blatz Can here?.....It looks Red to Me because there seems to be an Orange one there as well....I did not know there is a Red one or am I just losing My mind!?!?
Attachments
754abb9bb48013e3eb161ddd8161ab5a--s-party-party-set.jpg

Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
eric
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Is this a Red Blatz Can?

Post by eric »

Looks like it was painted. Probably a nice pink one that someone thought was faded so they got the paint out to fix it.
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

eric wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:36 am Looks like it was painted. Probably a nice pink one that someone thought was faded so they got the paint out to fix it.

Now that I take a better look at it I believe You are right!!.......I don't see the Blatz logo's in the Red area!! :smt017 :smt013......Its to bad if someone ruined a Pink one!! :smt021
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
DURTBAGG
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 152
BCCA Number: 23126
eBay name: Durtbagg
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by DURTBAGG »

OMG-Can’t believe if someone really did ruin a pink one to make it red. Don’t let them know, or they’ll probably pull out the steel wool and gasoline to try to remove the paint😂
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

DURTBAGG wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 pm OMG-Can’t believe if someone really did ruin a pink one to make it red. Don’t let them know, or they’ll probably pull out the steel wool and gasoline to try to remove the paint😂
LOL....Right.....I got this picture from doing a Google search on the Christmas Cans....At first I was thinking WOW a unknown color.But it's not!....I did always wonder why there isn't a Red one?....Red would be a natural Christmas Color!
IRTP Phil
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1217
BCCA Number: 34854
eBay name: pr-collectstuff
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by IRTP Phil »

mrlager428 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:23 pm I got this picture from doing a Google search on the Christmas Cans... I did always wonder why there isn't a Red one?....Red would be a natural Christmas Color!
Yeah. I too have pulled up this photo on a google image search a couple years ago when I mentioned to my wife that I would like to work on the Blatz Christmas cans, and she was "well... what do they look like?" You would think that red would have been one of the colors chosen for this set, but then again... I remember as a kid waiting for the solid Green Olde Frothingslosh can that never came... :smt017
Wanted: Purdue Class of '37 Blatz Can.

Ironguts Union #27
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

IRTP Phil wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 pm
mrlager428 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:23 pm I got this picture from doing a Google search on the Christmas Cans... I did always wonder why there isn't a Red one?....Red would be a natural Christmas Color!
Yeah. I too have pulled up this photo on a google image search a couple years ago when I mentioned to my wife that I would like to work on the Blatz Christmas cans, and she was "well... what do they look like?" You would think that red would have been one of the colors chosen for this set, but then again... I remember as a kid waiting for the solid Green Olde Frothingslosh can that never came... :smt017

When I did the search I noticed a lot of Blue and Green Cans....I figured those two are the most common colors of the six....Im still looking for the Pink one to complete My set.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

A member in here, Mark Underwood used to Specialize in Blatz cans. I have not seen him in here lately but I'm sure he could tell you a lot about these Christmas cans, I can remember him telling me all about them over 20 years ago. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Leon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm A member in here, Mark Underwood used to Specialize in Blatz cans. I have not seen him in here lately but I'm sure he could tell you a lot about these Christmas cans, I can remember him telling me all about them over 20 years ago. LEON.
Oh yea I wonder if that is the Guy I got My 10oz.Blatz from?....He told Me He Specialized in Blatz Cans.....Yes He would be the one who would know about the Christmas Cans!......From what I have seen I think the Pink and Powder Blue Cans are the hardest to come by then comes the Yellow and Orange then it's the Green and Dark Blue Cans being the common or easier to find pair??....Thats just My opinion!......Maybe now it is the Red one being the Rarest!!......LOL!!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Yeah, back then 20+ years ago I remember him telling me the Pink & light blue were the toughest. I seem to remember him mentioning a Red Blatz also, maybe he seen the same can or pic? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Leon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:42 pm Yeah, back then 20+ years ago I remember him telling me the Pink & light blue were the toughest. I seem to remember him mentioning a Red Blatz also, maybe he seen the same can or pic? LEON.

I kinda awlays thought there was a Red one in the Set...Then as the years have gone by and never seeing one I figured I was dreaming!!
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

Does anyone have a soft cover printing of the Beer Can Bible? I know that the colors of the reprints are off in later editions...like a Drewrys Mountie can with a purple shield instead of blue and a Henslers orange striped can that looks to be orange and black (actually just a metallic gold Hensler that appears black due to being tarnished). Perhaps the orange Blatz looks red in that printing of the Bible.
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
renokenn
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 838
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by renokenn »

This is from a hard cover copy.
Oh yeah, 'click to supersize'

img032.jpg
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Longopener »

I've got the hard cover too.... that's why I asked if someone could check the soft cover edition to see if the orange can looks red... to see if that's where Mark Underwood thought he saw a red Christmas can.
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
Rockbob
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 824
BCCA Number: 30760
eBay name: rockbobford
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rockbob »

I have the soft cover Bible. The orange can looks fire engine red.
RockBob, Rocko, Rockford Bob, Pinhead
Collector of all things from Chicago and cans I dig
Ironguts Union #11
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 1970

Post by Ziphippie »

in the softcover book on the bottom row it does look like a red can with an orange can next to it, the hardcover book is on top and the can next to the red can looks original yellow. Could see where that would lead to some confusion. Bjorn
5093D8DB-A1EC-4359-A3AD-EC796F1F90EC.jpeg
MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Post by MI-Cans »

I have both the Hard & Soft versions of the Bible. Here's my scans of the cans Chris asked about (Drewrys, Hensler, and finally Blatz). Also did a search for pics of the Blatz Christmas series and here's some links.

(MI-Cans)

Click to enlarge.

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/do ... &mode=view

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... as#p204218

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... as#p201045

Attachments
Drewrys.pdf
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
Hensler.pdf
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Blatz.pdf
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by MI-Cans on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkfromIndy
Rust Master
Rust Master
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Greenland

Post by MarkfromIndy »

I just saw this. Yep, I was the Blatz guy. Sold my cans, or most of them, to Rich Bickle.

From what I researched, there was some funny rotation of the Christmas cans in the six packs. The Baby Blue one was the rarest, followed by Pink, then Orange. The other four- Yellow, Green, Blue and the common Tan one- were all equally dispersed. Supposedly there was a method to the way the cans were put in the six packs. Bob McCoy explained it to me, I think, about 20 years ago.

Never saw a Red one or suspected one. I remember thinking there was a Magenta one for awhile. Don't remember why.
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

MI-Cans wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 am I have both the Hard & Soft versions of the Bible. Here's my scans of the cans Chris asked about (Drewrys, Hensler, and finally Blatz). Also did a search for pics of the Blatz Christmas series and here's some links.

(MI-Cans)

Click to enlarge.

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... as#p204218

https://www.therustybunch.com/phpBB3/vi ... as#p201045

Very Cool!!....Thankyou for Posting this!! :smt023 ......I have seen a lot well not a lot but enough of these Christmas Blatz Cans with Bank Tops.....Like in the 4th link You have provided here.So would that mean that there were more of these Cans made?.....I have seen all six colors with the Bank tops.I personally am looking for Cans that held Beer...I guess My question is are the Bank Top Cans rarer than the ones that held Beer?.....Also I don't remember seeing any that were Rolled.I am sure there are some out there?
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

MarkfromIndy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 pm I just saw this. Yep, I was the Blatz guy. Sold my cans, or most of them, to Rich Bickle.

From what I researched, there was some funny rotation of the Christmas cans in the six packs. The Baby Blue one was the rarest, followed by Pink, then Orange. The other four- Yellow, Green, Blue and the common Tan one- were all equally dispersed. Supposedly there was a method to the way the cans were put in the six packs. Bob McCoy explained it to me, I think, about 20 years ago.

Never saw a Red one or suspected one. I remember thinking there was a Magenta one for awhile. Don't remember why.
I never knew that the Common Tan Blatz Can was part of the mix!?!.... :smt017......I have too wonder what they at Blatz were thinking at the time?....It would seem to Me that a Red Can would be way more in line with the Christmas theme than a Tan colored Can!!.....Who knows maybe adding another Color too the set would have been too costly??....It sure would have been nice though!! :smt030 :smt026
MarkfromIndy
Rust Master
Rust Master
Greenland

Post by MarkfromIndy »

As I remember, Bob McCoy had a mint six pack in a mint holder and the tan can was one of the original six and he said he had run across a few and the tan can was always in the six. (No luck getting it off him, but he did sell me his 1/1+ OD High Profile Blatz cone..)
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

MarkfromIndy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm As I remember, Bob McCoy had a mint six pack in a mint holder and the tan can was one of the original six and he said he had run across a few and the tan can was always in the six. (No luck getting it off him, but he did sell me his 1/1+ OD High Profile Blatz cone..)

Thank you for the Cool info.!!....I never knew they put the Tan Can in the Six Packs!?!.....That would be way Cool to have an original holder with the six Cans in it! :smt026 :smt030
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

MarkfromIndy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm As I remember, Bob McCoy had a mint six pack in a mint holder and the tan can was one of the original six and he said he had run across a few and the tan can was always in the six. (No luck getting it off him, but he did sell me his 1/1+ OD High Profile Blatz cone..)

Thank you for the Cool info.!!....I never knew they put the Tan Can in the Six Packs!?!.....That would be way Cool to have an original holder with the six Cans in it! :smt026 :smt030
stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by stringsx24now »

Cans with original holder.
You mean like this?
IMG_1367.JPG
I am missing the Pink can, and can upgrade the baby blue someday.....

I have also seen different colors of the six pack holder.

I have never seen a red can, although I agree with an earlier poster: it would have been a cool color to have used.
collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

stringsx24now wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 am Cans with original holder.
You mean like this?

IMG_1367.JPG

I am missing the Pink can, and can upgrade the baby blue someday.....

I have also seen different colors of the six pack holder.

I have never seen a red can, although I agree with an earlier poster: it would have been a cool color to have used.

That is Awesome!!! :smt007 :smt007 :smt026 :smt026 :smt023 Thank you for sharing that!!.....I have heard that the holders came in all six Colors.....I need to upgrade My Orange,Green and Dark Blue and I am still looking for a Pink Example....I am looking for grade 2-/3- as long as they have good Color some Rust isn't a issue with Me.
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

Guys, I know this belongs in the advertising section but since 3 different people mentioned needing the pink one in this thread, I'm putting it here.

I was able to upgrade mine to an ongrade example. Therefore this one is available. I'd rate it around 1- but what do I know? It has great color and is bottom opened but there is speckling in the paint around the entire can.

PM me for questions, prices, more pics, etc...

Brad
Attachments
20180112_162952.jpg
A true friend will lie for you but not to you.
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 756
BCCA Number: 29308
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldcrowncollector »

Does Blatz have special canning code or mark? Know some set cans do.
Oldcrowncollector
Sell me your Centlivre bottles
oldcrowncollector
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 756
BCCA Number: 29308
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldcrowncollector »

Nice Pinkie :smt026
Oldcrowncollector
Sell me your Centlivre bottles
Liquid Boy
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 102
BCCA Number: 25677
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by Liquid Boy »

Absolutely agree the common tan version was part of this set. Had a friend who got a couple original 6’s many yrs ago & the tan was in both. I have a tan variant on my shelf that has a Dec 55 date stamped on the seam. Am verrry skeptical a red exist unless it was a orange that weathered into a red submerged in a lake....

Liquid Boy
-always looking for series cans, exotic offgrade labels, brewery bricks, beer/baseball pieces, new craft beers to consume
Bryan2
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 752
BCCA Number: 19592
eBay name: captainuker
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Bryan2 »

We're probably splitting hairs here, but just from my experience, the pink was the toughest for me. I've had several of the baby blue cans, but never, ever came close to getting a pink can. I've never even seen one in person. For me, the yellow, blue and green was fairly easy to be had in dumper and on-grade conditions. The orange a bit tougher. The baby blue a REAL challenge and the pink totally impossible.
Currently in a collecting funk. Waiting for the bug to bite again to get back into collecting some type of cans, on a small, affordable level.
Bryan Shrock
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”