A question about selling with a reserve on ebay

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

A question about selling with a reserve on ebay

Post by pinnacle-project »

If somebody has an item they want a minimum amount for, some people simply make the starting bid equal to the minimum they will accept for the item. Other people start with an opening bid lower than what the minimum they will accept is but then include a reserve on the item.

For those of you who use a reserve to ensure you get the minimum you are willing to accept, why do you prefer to use a reserve?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
sgramling
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1038
BCCA Number: 15286
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:

Re: A question about selling with a reserve on ebay

Post by sgramling »

I won't bid unless the reserve is met. Ive messaged sellers asking what the reserve is and they never say. Why the hell not??? Seems like playing games to me. If you wont take less than $100, start the bidding there.
Last edited by sgramling on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Why a Reserve? For Example. Lets say you bought the Patrick Henry Magistrate can off of Ted Larsen on ebay for $2,500. same one he sold about 15 years ago. Lets say you soon afterwards picked up a slight upgrade that you preferred better because it had a cool Michigan tax lid & bottom opened. Now 15 years later what to do with this extra downgrade. You put on ebay for $100 opening bid & it gets one bid for $100 but you payed $2,500 for it 15 years earlier. your now out $2,400. Would you put your next mint Patrick Henry Magistrate can on now for $100 or $9.99 & no reserve? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

I think the thought process of starting a can off low, but with a higher reserve, is to get people involved/bidding/watching with the idea that it will create more action and eventually drive the price up. I know I've bid on cans before and didn't even realize there was a reserve until I noticed the "reserve not yet met" note. More bidders = more perceived competition, which ultimately might get you the price you want. Early bidders always have that fantasy of picking up a $500 can for $50. It can happen, but not often. And certainly not with a reserve.

The above said, I personally really dislike reserve auctions and in the 15+ years I've been buying and selling on Ebay have never listed anything with a reserve.
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

Leon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 pm Why a Reserve? For Example. Lets say you bought the Patrick Henry Magistrate can off of Ted Larsen on ebay for $2,500. same one he sold about 15 years ago. Lets say you soon afterwards picked up a slight upgrade that you preferred better because it had a cool Michigan tax lid & bottom opened. Now 15 years later what to do with this extra downgrade. You put on ebay for $100 opening bid & it gets one bid for $100 but you payed $2,500 for it 15 years earlier. your now out $2,400. Would you put your next mint Patrick Henry Magistrate can on now for $100 or $9.99 & no reserve? LEON.
Personally, if I was selling something expensive like that and I was concerned the bidding would not make it up to the minimum I wanted for it, I would start the bidding at $2,500 (or whatever) rather than start the bidding at a low figure and using a reserve. That's just my opinion though which is why I was curious why some people use reserves. Maybe I am missing the boat so I wanted to find out.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Lovegun
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 699
BCCA Number: 3197
eBay name: Lovegun1959
Year Started Collecting: 1936
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Lovegun »

If you have noticed in the last few years, "reserve" auctions have all but disappeared from can auctions on E-Bay. Personally, I have never been a fan of them as far as listing, or as a buyer, and I suspect many others agree......
Greg Gromosiak-RB#699 B.C.C.A.#3197
Former Rusty Bunch President, Current Editor, Miami Valley Guzzelette
scrabble1959@yahoo.com

Turning dirt since 1972

Looking for either Red Top "Old Cincinnati" Beer O.I.!!!!
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
Year Started Collecting: 1977
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

Leon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 pm Why a Reserve? For Example. Lets say you bought the Patrick Henry Magistrate can off of Ted Larsen on ebay for $2,500. same one he sold about 15 years ago. Lets say you soon afterwards picked up a slight upgrade that you preferred better because it had a cool Michigan tax lid & bottom opened. Now 15 years later what to do with this extra downgrade. You put on ebay for $100 opening bid & it gets one bid for $100 but you payed $2,500 for it 15 years earlier. your now out $2,400. Would you put your next mint Patrick Henry Magistrate can on now for $100 or $9.99 & no reserve? LEON.

Ouch, sounds like maybe that really happened. I usually start my auctions low and haven't been burned too bad. For reasons listed above I think the reserve method probably never works, maybe you get a few more views but guessing a lot of them look at the "reserve not met" and never look again.
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

I believe early on with ebay you had to pay a fee based on the opening bid. So that encouraged many more reserve auctions to protect your investment. When eBay's fees policy changed, the reserve auctions starting going away, because as noted below, they just don't make as much sense.

Jim
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
henry porter
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 834
BCCA Number: 0
Zodiac:
Palestine

Post by henry porter »

Conehead wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 am I believe early on with ebay you had to pay a fee based on the opening bid. So that encouraged many more reserve auctions to protect your investment. When eBay's fees policy changed, the reserve auctions starting going away, because as noted below, they just don't make as much sense.

Jim
This.
Wanted: Malt Lager breweriana and Malt Lager cans:
8oz flats: Gluek Stite 241-05, Bulldog 239-10, Schlitz (Class Book) 56-13, 56-14.
12oz flats: Country Club 51-37, 51-37-5.
12oz tabs: Colt 56-22; Colt 45 56-05, 56-10, 56-11–05, 56-12; Country Club 57-18; Red Bird 239-32; Schlitz 121-15.
16oz tabs: Calgary 146-23; Carling 147-01, 147-01-05; Colt 147-22; Schlitz 166-10

Last 2 to complete the set: Suntory 354 and 364.
willssoda
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1063
eBay name: WILLSSODA
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by willssoda »

My opinion is to list it buy it now or best offer. Put what you would realistically want or hope to get then wait for offers to come in. Then you decide. I can't remember off hand but I think it will run for an extended period of time also instead of the 10 days or less
Interested in all flat and Cone Soda and Water cans.
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 30985
eBay name: pokey-reames
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

I rarely sell, but I do tend to buy a lot.

I do not usually bother with Reserve Bids unless I really want the item. If the seller will say what the reserve is if I ask him/her, then I might keep looking at it if it is under the price that I am willing to pay. I remember one auction many years ago where the reserve was set at $5,000 for a can that I thought was worth maybe $800. I really don't care to help someone gauge interest in his/her can. I have better things to do with my time.

I say no to a reserve. However, you do run the risk of bidders not putting as much value to something that you do.

...so what is it really worth...?...
“Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”