Full Circle

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Full Circle

Post by Wheaton »

So...

In '91, I got done with college and decided it was time to return to my midwestern roots. I relocated to Michigan where I still had quite a bit of family, and changed my collecting focus to Michigan cans. I rode that wave until 2003. Life got in the way a few times and I finally lost the zeal for the specialty - starting and stopping a couple times didn't help. I sold off and started dabbling in new specialty areas. In 2004, I took a work transfer and wound up living in NW Indiana while working in Chicago. Then the recession hit, I transferred jobs again for [what I thought would be] job security, got laid off anyway in 2009, and chased the shiny nickel on down the river to Memphis. I lived two years in Mississippi, took yet another job in Chattanooga and moved to SE Tennessee...got divorced, moved yet again, and actually wound up staying in that apartment for 4 years. It felt like a lifetime compared to all the moves I'd made up to that point.

All the details eventually sorted themselves out and possibilities seemed to be opening up, although the job I was working in Chattanooga had become completely unacceptable. I found myself with the unique luxury of being able to actually sit and quietly plan my next move. I was sitting at the half-century mark, with no further energy or desire to maintain my pattern of "work mobility," and I had honestly gotten pretty homesick. So I started entertaining offers from tech recruiters, having a little fun playing them against each other and being picky about where I wound up next. At first it looked like South Carolina - which wasn't the Midwest, but would not have been half bad with the ocean in close proximity and plenty of cans to be dug - and at the last possible moment, that job opportunity evaporated. I cut ties with that recruiter and started working with a couple others in the midwest. It boiled down to a pair of opportunities in western Wisconsin, either of which would have been pretty good, but 20 minutes after agreeing to send my information along to these two employers, the recruiter called me back with a fortuitous question. He asked, "Dave, where do you want to work?"

Hmm. I hadn't really thought of it from that perspective, so I was glad he asked. I said he'd be on my Christmas card list for life if he could put me back in Michigan. I heard some keyboard clicking in the background, and then he said, "You know, I have one client in Michigan who is currently looking for somebody with your qualifications. Let me do a little checking and I'll contact you tomorrow."

Long story short, he hooked me up with a telephone pre-interview that went perfectly. There was a second tech interview over the phone that lasted an hour, and also went very well. A day later, I was asked to come interview on-site, so I packed up a travel bag and went to Michigan. The whole interview was little more than a trial by fire with electrical controls and automation, after which the senior engineer snapped his laptop shut and said, "Well, I've seen enough." I shook several hands, then took off to Chris Taylor's place in Ann Arbor to tip a couple and crash for the night before heading back to Tennessee.

Four days later, the company presented me an engineering offer. If I needed any more proof that this move was the right one, they voluntarily upped my salary requirement and offered me close to $7K more than I'd asked for. At that moment, I knew this was a no-brainer. I made my arrangements, packed up, and finally came home in late April. I absolutely love the job, and for the first time in ten years, I'm completely at ease with my employer and surroundings. So I did something I haden't even really contemplated for a long time: bought a house. I'm planning to stay awhile.

Collecting-wise, I'd gone through a number of small specialties and "explorations," as I seem to have a penchant for, but a couple years ago I found myself drifting back into Michigan cans and breweriana. That dovetailed nicely with this move, but the irony was pretty intense. When I started messing with Michigan cans again, I sure wasn't expecting to actually move back.

I got my collection stuff out this past week and, for probably the second time in life, experienced the simple joy of coming up with display ideas. A lot of these bits and pieces had been boxed and packed for some time, and a few had even survived from my original collection, but there had been no opportunities until now to see everything together. I'm in the process of slowly developing a display concept. I look forward to the day a couple weeks from now when everything's assembled and I can just sit with a beer and enjoy the visual, but for now it's incredibly refreshing to just try things and see what I like. Here are some pics as I get started:

collection_wall.jpg
The shelves came from Clayton Emery who obtained them with a collection pickup, then donated some to me. I was able to trim the bottoms in order to "float" them and keep a decent line across the top that's door trim height. The calendars are an Altes sportsmen's set from 1945 - 46 and it's fun to see them all together like this. I'm going to cut another short shelf segment to go under the Pat Henry sign and it will be for 16oz cans.

5_liters.jpg
A place for the Michigan 5 liters...just need a 2005 Oberon, and this set is complete!

craft.jpg
A small wall segment for MI craft cans.

odds_and_ends.jpg
All sorts of smalls, signs, statues, and stuff. I actually have some more in the garage that I haven't liberated just yet, but I'll have to make sense of all this soon...

guinness.jpg
A cool Guinness Ale r-o-g from the Ft. Wayne show yesterday. It's not large but I want to find a way to feature it because there weren't many USA Guinness breweriana bits produced for the couple years that Goebel made the brand.

big_mac.jpg
Big Mac upgrade was yesterday's can-of-the-show in Ft. Wayne. Thanks to the Good Guys for a great can and a great deal!

national_frame.jpg
One of my favorite signs, with the rotten old wood frame finally removed. I'm wanting to restore this sign which has paint dribbled on it, an overall patina of nicotine staining, and some other surface defects. It's a big aluminum piece that is a sentimental favorite because National simply isn't the first brand the ordinary person associates with Detroit. It came from a closed-down liquor store in Atlanta, and was obtained by a fellow musician in Chattanooga who gave it to me in exchange for installing a new wall receptacle in his studio room. Love it! I'm sure it has a stronger connection to Baltimore, but the fact that it calls out the Michigan brewery was the big selling point for me:

brewery_on_sign.jpg
Way down on the other end of the basement are recesses for more shelves. The GF started saving micros at Canvention, so her collection gets a built-in spot in the TV lounge area.

far_wall.jpg
Anyhow, getting a start on it. From Michigan-based Michigan collector, full circle to Michigan-based Michigan collector. Wildly ironic, but it sure feels good again!

JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
WISCONSINCANMAN
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 28151
eBay name: Wisconsincanman
Year Started Collecting: 1973
United States of America

Re: Full Circle

Post by WISCONSINCANMAN »

Great story ! Happy for you.

Scott
Wisconsin cans wanted!!!

Trade me your Wisconsin cans, my most wanted, Old Wisconsin
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Beamer »

Nice that things have worked out in your favor. Looking forward to following the progress of your display(s).
aussieguinnessman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 898
BCCA Number: 30861
eBay name: oncall1594
Year Started Collecting: 1981
Australia

Post by aussieguinnessman »

Excellent. Glad to see your story is working out for you.

Drouling over the Guinness sign. If you ever find another one for sale let me know

Aussie Keith
Looking for any Guinness Items and any Continental Can Company items
Will be at 2024 BCCA CANvention in Little Rock.
RB #898
BCCA #30861
Echuca, Australia
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Nice. I really like that big Patrick Henry Sign ;) LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 23865
Year Started Collecting: 1979
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

As Dorothy said, there is no place like home. Glad you can do what you enjoy where you want to live!

- Mike
Collector of Texas and Louisiana cans and signs.

Iron Guts Union #21
[
Wrestling Nut
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1131
BCCA Number: 34647
eBay name: wrestlingnutbrad
Year Started Collecting: 2013
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wrestling Nut »

Awesome on every level. :smt001 Congrats!
A true friend will lie for you but not to you.
potters66
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 594
BCCA Number: 30854
eBay name: potters66
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by potters66 »

Sounds like a great adventure and if I am not mistaking we have been along for the ride on most of your trip.

Good Luck with the new job!

Steve
RUSTY BUNCH #594
Ironguts #5 / One Percenter
PotosiDug
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1213
BCCA Number: 34663
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Post by PotosiDug »

Thanks for sharing. The road to happiness takes many unplanned and undesirabe turns. You made it!
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

Dave really happy things have worked out for you. Would have loved to have you down here in SC though. Might have classed the place up a little bit........ lol.
Just remember, its the journey that makes it all worth while!
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
BostonBob
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1134
eBay name: BostonBob
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by BostonBob »

Great read! I am glad things are working out so nicely! Looking forward to future updates!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”