Doug Goegan

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

roosterman
Cone Top
Cone Top
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1982
Canada

Doug Goegan

Post by roosterman »

Doug Goegan passed away this past weekend. He put up of one hell of a fight the past few years. It has been a tough week. Shortly after Metro passed Doug and I chatted about our written submission to the Trillium newsletter honouring Metro and how we felt about him. All the while I was fully aware of Doug's situation. Doug was Trillium member #22 and I was #58. We joined within months of each other in 1984. I was 14 at the time and I found it difficult to trade at the Trillium shows cause my trading stock was not of quality or vintage. Doug had the same frustrations in those early years. Doug and I did trade cans with each other in 1985 and for many years to follow. I attended the 1986 Summer Swap in Frankenmuth Michigan as a 16 years old where I met Uncle Dick. For those who remember he had an obscene number of Canadian flat tops that he dumped himself. Cans that were still regarded as scarce at the time. I bought up as many Dow, Kingsbeer, Molson Export flats that this 16 years old could possibly afford, knowing I had some killer trading stock at the next Trillium Trade Show. When I showed up at the Trillium show, my only consistent trading buddy Doug was very interested in the flats I had acquired. He had nothing of equal value to barter for them. I don't know why but I sent him home with one of every flat I had for whatever he had in his tote. I had no idea the impact of that decision would have for years to come. Fast forward a few decades, and Doug and I were swapping cans or caps. It was very one sided in my favour and I had nothing to ante up. Doug looked at me and said that I was very kind and generous in '86 at a time when he had nothing to offer. He was more than pleased to make the trade as he felt indebted to me. I was a bit taken back as I had long forgotten about 1986. Many times in the years that followed Doug would bring up the time I sent him home with all the flats. Even as recently as the Trillium show of two years ago he reminded me of how '86. It has left an impression upon me. Now, when at shows when a young or new collector expresses interest in what is an obvious lopsided trade, I think of Doug and I make it happen. Somehow, some way I make it happen. A simple act of kindness in 1986 forged a long lasting friendship.
I will miss Doug, I looked for him at every show I attended. He was my best trading partner over the years. I look at my shelves and all of the cans that have Doug's name attached to them. There are many. He was a good guy. We lost a good one!

Trillium chapter member #58 in the heart of Muskoka
Tinman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 1
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 589
BCCA Number: 28142
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
Canada

Re: Doug Goegan

Post by Tinman »

A very generous trader, he had great wit and a dry sense of humor....R.I.P. #22... you will be missed
“May we never lack in friends, or in good beer to serve them”

Collector of Canadian Steel Beer & Soda cans and any vintage Canadian Breweriana.
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing your memory of him.
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
Canadacan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Post by Canadacan »

So sorry to hear of his passing, and thanks for sharing the wonderful story.
Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.
roosterman
Cone Top
Cone Top
Canada

Post by roosterman »

Thanks Dave, a great pic of Doug. Forever the Blue Jays fan!
Goegan.jpg
Trillium chapter member #58 in the heart of Muskoka
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1050
BCCA Number: 32806
eBay name: thatsus02
Year Started Collecting: 1990
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by thatsus02 »

He and I had some dealings through the years at CANventions, I also ram into him two years ago in Toronto at the Show there. He was a nice man and will be missed. Also great photo, I always say I wish I would have known you when I was a little younger.
President, Michigan Chapter of the BCCA / NABA
worcesterbeer
Cone Top
Cone Top
BCCA Number: 27685
eBay name: canadiancans
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by worcesterbeer »

sorry to read this doug was a great friend he will be missed at the shows i used to see him at jerry
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”