Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Cleveland questions

Post by Dixie Dave »

It's that time of year again. Got my room in Cleveland lined up, but I have a few questions about Cleveland, since I've never been there before. Always like to have my trips planned out as much as possible before leaving

1) How safe is the area around the hotel for walking in the morning/ at night?
2) I see in the new BCCA magazine there is some kind of group going to the Red Sox/Indians game on Tuesday night. What about Wednesday night?
2A) My traveling buddy isn't into cans, but he is big time into sports. Anybody going to the Indians/Royals game Friday night? My buddy is a fun guy to be with and really knows his sports. I'd like to find him some friends to go see the game with so he's not walking back to the hotel alone after the game.
3) Arriving Wednesday, is there a group going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame then? Any kind of group discount on admission if there is?
4) My big thing. What is the food thing Cleveland is known for? I mean like New Orleans we have seafood, Chicago has deep dish pizza, Cincinnati has chili with spaghetti. Every city has its local thing that's really good. What is Cleveland's thing, and where do the locals go for it? I do NOT want tourist traps or national chains. Part of the fun of traveling is enjoying local culture and local foods wherever I go. Looking also for a good recommendation on pizza or burgers near the hotel. Like a good bready dinner for Thursday so I'm not that guy getting fubared at Craft Beer Night.
4a) How is this David's Grill place I found for breakfast? I'd found another one on Google that started with a P that had a good cheap breakfast when I was searching out the hotel a month ago but I can't find it again now. Love a good diner for breakfast when out of town.
5) I know about the valet thing at the hotel. Is it possible for me to get my van out of the hotel lot and unload it at the convention center and drive it back so I don't have to unload and load up the cans twice to get them on the trade floor (once to bring them all up to my room and then again to bring them to the trade floor)? Is there like a vendor parking area they would let us use at some time early Thursday?

Will probably have more questions as we get closer, thanks for your help now!

Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
DaveNH
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1016
BCCA Number: 6727
eBay name: drt1r5
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Cleveland questions

Post by DaveNH »

As a native Clevelander I can answer a few of your questions:

1. I'd say it's pretty safe as it's in a good location.
2-3. I'm not sure about groups to the Indians game on Wednesday or groups to the Rock Hall. I'd say if you wanna go just go with your buddy.
4. Check this link out for food tips. https://blog.hrrocksinonorthfieldpark.c ... d/2017/04/
4a. Not sure about David's Grill. The reviews are iffy. Check out: https://www.yelp.com/biz/davids-grill-and-bar-cleveland
5. Not sure--> call the BCCA or the hotel.
Thanks. Dave
clevelandcanman11389
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 921
BCCA Number: 11389
eBay name: clevelandcanman11389
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by clevelandcanman11389 »

You will be surprised how nice of a downtown we have. Plenty of local restaurants downtown. No need to go to suburbs to eat. We have one street nothing but restaurants.
Beamer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 800
eBay name: beamer911
United States of America

Post by Beamer »

Is the Christmas Story house somewhere near?
Flat_Top
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 721
BCCA Number: 15216
eBay name: beer-1
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Flat_Top »

Years ago I worked on a project in Cleveland and the Winking Lizard was our hang out. They are a local chain and the food was good with a great beer selection.
Chuck
Michigan Cans wanted
Sell your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island!
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

DaveNH wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 pm As a native Clevelander I can answer a few of your questions:

1. I'd say it's pretty safe as it's in a good location.
Thanks for that. Figured it should be a decent area, but I live near a tourist-oriented city that has rough areas near big tourist attractions, so I better ask. I've been at shows in big cities where I was told not to go far at night.
2-3. I'm not sure about groups to the Indians game on Wednesday or groups to the Rock Hall. I'd say if you wanna go just go with your buddy.
My buddy is in for both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the ball game- two of the main reasons he's wanting to do this trip. My thing is I figured there would be a group for the Wednesday game since there will be a lot more of us in town that night looking for something to do.
4. Check this link out for food tips. https://blog.hrrocksinonorthfieldpark.c ... d/2017/04/
Thanks. I'm just starting my research into the area, and appreciate any good leads.
4a. Not sure about David's Grill. The reviews are iffy. Check out: https://www.yelp.com/biz/davids-grill-and-bar-cleveland
That does sound rather dicey about the grill. Hadn't had time to check Yelp Any other breakfast spots in the area? Like I said, I found one with a name that started with P like Piece or Portion, one of those cutesy Uptown names that sounded really good, but I don't see it now reviewing the area around the hotel.
5. Not sure--> call the BCCA or the hotel.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

clevelandcanman11389 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:33 pm You will be surprised how nice of a downtown we have. Plenty of local restaurants downtown. No need to go to suburbs to eat. We have one street nothing but restaurants.
Looks like there are a lot of restaurants near the hotel. That's what I'm looking for. Especially once I'm checked in, I don't want to have to drive halfway across town, and I sure don't want the same chain restaurants I can find here. Why drive a thousand miles to eat at a place that's ten minutes from my house? I'd really appreciate your personal recommendations of good spots the locals go to for breakfast or dinner in the area.

Hey, and one more question- what kind of seafood do y'all have up there? Big ole lake right there, must be something tasty swimming around in there that people eat. As a south Louisianan, I'm VERY picky about fish and other seafood being fresh. I do enjoy checking out how other people cook their seafood also, and trying different kinds of fish that we don't have native to our area.
iggyks
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1064
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by iggyks »

I know nothing about Cleveland (except that it rocks) but found this online: http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/cle ... cket-list/
I'm constantly finding good cans... in my mailbox. *** My third year of waging Schlitzkrieg on the Flint Hills of Kansas ***
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

iggyks wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:02 am I know nothing about Cleveland (except that it rocks) but found this online: http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/cle ... cket-list/
Now THERE are some good ideas! Will have to research where these places are at to see what I have time to check out while I'm in town. Hope a few of them are walking distance from the hotel. Glad to know about the hot dog at Progressive Field, since I'm definitely planning to check out the Indians and Red Sox Wednesday night.

Side note: you coming to Cleveland? If you are, and if you're a Royals fan, my traveling buddy wants to go to the Indians/Royals game on Friday. Trying to find some Royals fans he could go to the game with so he's not alone. He's a fun guy to roll with, walking sports encyclopedia.
Ceskydup
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 248
BCCA Number: 19952
Year Started Collecting: 1961
United States of America

Post by Ceskydup »

Hi Dixie Dave,

A good source of Canvention 47 info can be found on Face Book group BCCA Canvention 47

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1600985 ... =bookmarks

Skoal!
Big R
Canvetion 47 Cleveland will Rock!
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 23865
Year Started Collecting: 1979
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

I used to work for a company that had our Regional Office in downtown Cleveland so I used to travel there quite a bit. The downtown area is pretty cool and there are lots​ of bars and restaurants. I can confirm the Winking Lizard is a cool place as I spent plenty of evenings there. I don't believe Cleveland is very well known for the local cuisine, but if there was one, it would be a roast beef sandwich. It seems to a be popular dining option.

It should be a fun week.

- Mike
Last edited by Longhorn Mike on Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Collector of Texas and Louisiana cans and signs.

Iron Guts Union #21
[
iggyks
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1064
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by iggyks »

"Side note: you coming to Cleveland? If you are, and if you're a Royals fan, my traveling buddy wants to go to the Indians/Royals game on Friday. Trying to find some Royals fans he could go to the game with so he's not alone. He's a fun guy to roll with, walking sports encyclopedia."

]Wish I could, Dave, but the Salina, Kansas (formerly Abilene) show is the only one I ever get to. However, I AM an expert on Salina, Kansas cuisine!! :mrgreen:
I'm constantly finding good cans... in my mailbox. *** My third year of waging Schlitzkrieg on the Flint Hills of Kansas ***
clevelandcanman11389
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Believe it or not but lake erie perch is delicious!
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

clevelandcanman11389 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:15 pm Believe it or not but lake erie perch is delicious!
Now that sounds different. Don't see a lot of perch down here. Always up for trying something new.

Never been to Cleveland and I'm looking forward to adding it to the list of places I've been.
rick78
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 741
BCCA Number: 5887
eBay name: onenicepair
United States of America

Post by rick78 »

You need to go to Mr. Hero and get a Roman Burger.
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

rick78 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm You need to go to Mr. Hero and get a Roman Burger.
OH HELL YES! I grew up on the West side of Cleveland (North Olmsted) and we had a Mr. Hero in town. The Roman Burger is the thing I miss most about the area!
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
rick78
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 741
BCCA Number: 5887
eBay name: onenicepair
United States of America

Post by rick78 »

We're not far. Far Westside near airport and Kamms Corners/Fairview Park

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

rick78 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:00 pm We're not far. Far Westside near airport and Kamms Corners/Fairview Park

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Lol.... I delivered pizzas from the Fairview Park Domino's on Lorain Rd. back in high school..... :smt023
Scott Gray
mountainrust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 820
Ireland

Post by mountainrust »

You may want to go to Canvention on Wed night. :smt030
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

mountainrust wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:00 pm You may want to go to Canvention on Wed night. :smt030
I'm making a point of staying in Canton Tuesday night. Not too far out, and get a chance to see two of my all-time favorite players' busts who are going in this year: Morten Andersen- best FG kicker EVER and the immortal Jason Taylor, one of my favorite Dolphins.

Get to Cleveland early on Wednesday, have a whole day to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Christmas Story house and whatever else I can squeeze into a day before I go that night to watch the Tribe and the Red Sox. I get back to the hotel, party is on with whoever is still up.

Thanks for some great recommendations. Just the kind of good info I was looking for, and that I knew I'd find here. Can't wait to meet a few more of the Rusty Brothers in August!
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Will definitely plan to check out this Roman Burger. Just the kind of good food I'm looking for!
Longhorn Mike
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 23865
Year Started Collecting: 1979
United States of America

Post by Longhorn Mike »

iggyks wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:20 am However, I AM an expert on Salina, Kansas cuisine!! :mrgreen:
I think me, John Williams and the Old Money Texas will be heading to Salina this year. I'm glad you are a Salina cuisine expert because I have no clue where to eat since Kuntz's Drive In in Abilene closed down!

- Mike
Collector of Texas and Louisiana cans and signs.

Iron Guts Union #21
[
clevelandcanman11389
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Zodiac:
United States of America

Hey sea monkey I'll be looking for you!
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

clevelandcanman11389 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 4:43 pm Hey sea monkey I'll be looking for you!
I have a reservation from Thursday to Sunday. Hope I can make it. All depends on work though.....
Scott Gray
Paul Letostak
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 557
BCCA Number: 30997
eBay name: paulcan
Zodiac:
Slovakia

Post by Paul Letostak »

Planning on arriving Wed. Will check out Sea Monkey's burger place, baseball game, rnr hof, etc. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Paul
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Paul Letostak wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:28 pm Planning on arriving Wed. Will check out Sea Monkey's burger place, baseball game, rnr hof, etc. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Paul
We'll definitely need to coordinate plans. My buddy and I are arriving early on Wednesday, plan on spending most of the day doing the tourist stuff and spending the evening at Progressive Field watching the Indians and the Red Sox. Would love to put together a group to go to the game, maybe catch dinner together somewhere between the hotel and the ball park.
Paul Letostak
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 557
BCCA Number: 30997
eBay name: paulcan
Zodiac:
Slovakia

Post by Paul Letostak »

Sure thing Dixie Dave! I really need to go to the Christmas Story house! Lots of memories of watching that movie with my son! Also hope to make the game Wed nite.

Paul
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Paul Letostak wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:25 pm Sure thing Dixie Dave! I really need to go to the Christmas Story house! Lots of memories of watching that movie with my son! Also hope to make the game Wed nite.

Paul
The Christmas Story house is at the top of our "must see" list, along with the homes of Superman's creators, Siegel and Shuster and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Lots of time to work out details of meeting up to do some stuff and maybe make the ball game.
stringsx24now
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 309
BCCA Number: 26795
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by stringsx24now »

I recall reading about a group going to the baseball game on Tuesday night. Is this an official/unofficial convention activity and who do I contact about signing up my wife and I for tickets? Or is it one of those....do it yourself things?
collector of Sick's Select, Senate, and Congress cans and breweriana; beer bags; as well as other fun stuff
Looking for Schuster Brewing of Rochester, MN items and Meyer Brewing of Bloomington, IL

Shows attended in 2024:
LaCrosse, WI show, January
Freeze Your Can, St. Paul, MN, February
North Star Spring show, Bloomington, MN, March

Collections seen in 2024:
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

I'm interested in getting a group together to go to the game on Wednesday night. Tuesday night is nice, but there's gonna be a lot more of us around on Wednesday night.

On a side thing, I'd love to find a group that was going to the Friday game against the Royals that my traveling buddy could hook up with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “CANvention 47 - Cleveland”