Should we have a Gentleman's Agreement?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Should we have a Gentleman's Agreement?

Post by Conehead »

With all the recent discussion brought up in the thread about breweriana.com's upcoming auction featuring Keith Belchers items, I thought I would start a separate thread to discuss keeping the agreement or not.

For those of you who may not have been around when this was discussed before here it is.

With such a highly competitive atmosphere between collectors to find rare items, it was discussed here that a "gentleman's agreement" should exist that simply states that current ebay auctions should not be discussed until they were finished. The exception was that If you were they one selling an item on ebay, you were free to bring the auction to everyone's attention here to help your sale.

It just so happens that a perfect example of this type of auction happened this week. The auction in question was for a Bavarian's Old Style cone top. This cone is very common with the exception of when it is IRTP. The IRTP variation is extremely rare and maybe 6 to 8 are known to exist. This cone has been discussed on this site numerous times. No where in the auction is it noted that the can is IRTP. This cone closed at $255.00. A super deal in my opinion (I paid much more for the one I bought).

Here is the auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bavarian-039-s- ... 7675.l2557

I could have brought this can to the attention of this group. I was not required to keep it quiet, it is just the common courtesy of the "gentleman's agreement" that I did not say anything. Would the can have sold for more if it was "outted"? Who knows? Did it hurt the value of the can I own by selling for much lower than what I paid...Maybe?

Are there exceptions? The recent Rosalie auction would seem to imply that there are. The fact that a Rosalie is such a high profile can, one would imagine that it would never go under the radar, so it really isn't quite the same thing. Also, 6 posts into this thread the actual seller (not a current member of the RB) of the can chimed in thanking the original poster.

The thread on the Keith Belcher auction is what prompted this thread. I don't really see it as being applicable to this discussion. That is an auction as a whole. If there were specific items pointed out within the auction, then I think it could be argued that the gentleman's agreement should apply.

I honestly don't care one way or the other on this. I just know that bad blood can be created when the competitive juices are flowing. The "Gentleman's Agreement" was an attempt to try and keep that to a minimum.

What do you guys think?

Jim

I shall leave no cone unturned!!
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Should we have a Gentleman's Agreement?

Post by idigrust »

no. As I stated in the original thread sometime back, show me the $1000.00 can someone got for $5.00 bucks and I'll change my mind.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
IRTP Phil
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1217
BCCA Number: 34854
eBay name: pr-collectstuff
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by IRTP Phil »

Conehead wrote:I honestly don't care one way or the other on this. I just know that bad blood can be created when the competitive juices are flowing. The "Gentleman's Agreement" was an attempt to try and keep that to a minimum.

What do you guys think?

Jim
Many Rusty Bunchers list their own auctions in the Advertise section of the forum. This is fine. Whether you are selling your items exclusively through these forums, or a public auction site, that's what the advertise section is for. I have also looked at some of those listings and thought "man, I wish he hadn't told all these people who that would bid against me", but it is what it is, and they're advertising. It's all good.

I have also had Rusty Bunchers send me PM's, notifying me of auctions on ebay that they thought would interest me, as I have done as well to other members. It's my belief that keeping some of these auctions in private, did actually keep the price down for me. So I can understand why or how the so-called gentleman's agreement came into being. Not all listings on ebay are listed properly, and some can escape notice of those who don't have time to find the ones that aren't listed where, or as they should be.

If it stays, it stays, and it's all good, we proceed accordingly. If it goes, it goes, and we all proceed accordingly. I kind of like it, but I will get along just fine without it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wanted: Purdue Class of '37 Blatz Can.

Ironguts Union #27
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

I can go either way on this subject. This web site is about the free flow of information. It is not about trying to acquire cans at under market prices. I am more of a feeling that alerting people to certain items they might have missed is a PERK of joining the RB. By keeping quiet, NON RB people are just as likely to end up with the item as one of us. Yes, this has bitten me several times but as a whole I am more about the information and the discussion than I am about snaking a can on the cheap.

As far as Dan Morian's auction, that would not even come close to applying to the "Gentleman's Agreement" type situation. Way too big and way too public to not be discussed. Dan is actively advertising it and he is a sponsor here. It is obviously going to be discussed. I personally don't have an issue with the individual items being discussed either. I ordered my catalog but have not received it yet. Not sure what's in it.

As I said, I could go either way in that if the large majority decide they WANT the Agreement, I have no problem abiding.... Just my $0.02
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

I vote yes. Let the auction run its course before posting. If it is your own auction, feel free to fan the flames!
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
zoinkss
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: zoinkss
Year Started Collecting: 1969
United States of America

Post by zoinkss »

I am going to have to stick to my original answer and say "no" to any type of can info censorship.
My reasoning is that many times RB collectors may want to ask questions about a can and its too late after the auction. They want to bid but need some direction or questions answered.

We are a group that stresses sharing information. The more we share the better.
I thought long and hard about answering this thread again because it got pretty contentious last time and I think its still a hot button issue for some of those who replied in the last thread.

If we start imposing self censorship about what and when to post (about cans) we start limiting the amount of sharing we accomplish here.

This is a hobby and not a race. Share away as far as I'm concerned. JMHO
Looking for Waukesha beer, water & soda; cans, bottles and signs.
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

My opinion "no" need for restrictions on these type of posts. Ebay is public information and seen by everyone. Yes, I fully understand someone thinking they might get a "steal" if an auction not discussed, but quite often just the inverse could very much help pointing out variation differences to other collectors. Start restricting here and just going to help drive people away. There are plenty of other online resources (already multiple beer can Facebook pages for example) where Ebay auctions are readily discussed.

I know sellers should do research and their problem, but I personally don't like seeing non-collectors getting pennies on the dollar for rare items.
Beverlx
RB Treasurer
RB Treasurer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 677
BCCA Number: 18483
eBay name: beverlx
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Beverlx »

The gentlemen do not agree, obviously. So I vote no.

I also am against the principle of the thing. It is largely unenforceable -- there's no way to make sure every newb on the site knows that rule, or remembers it when an exciting can comes by. The RB member is just as likely to be the seller as the buyer. It's already got the mention-it-if-you're-the-seller exception. And the Rosalie exception, though why exactly is that an exception, and where do we draw the line where that exception stops? Quasi-rules are never easy to pin down -- is it a rule? Is it not? And when a dispute happens, what are the exact provisions of a not-written-down-anywhere-or-officially-adopted rule?

More trouble than it's worth.
ConeAddict
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
BCCA Number: 34900
eBay name: morecones
United States of America

Post by ConeAddict »

I can see both sides of this but ultimately the individual ebay auctions seem like an obvious discussion driver for a forum like this. I am just recently back into collecting and like the previous poster stated it's nice to read about rarer variations of cans, I saw the auction the OP talked about and never gave it a second look. With so many auctions going on all the time the vast majority are not going to be brought up anyway, but I for one enjoyed the Rosalie thread and wouldn't mind at all if there were more threads like that around here.
josh
Thread Killer
Thread Killer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 357
Mexico

Post by josh »

No, it's(censored) stupid. I wouldn't consider abiding by anything so pathetic.
Last edited by josh on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sgramling
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1038
BCCA Number: 15286
Zodiac:

Post by sgramling »

Josh, please stop holding back.
A Gentleman's Agreement only works if the gentlemen agree.
Clearly they do not.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

$0.02.....honestly don't care. If I happen to find a can under the radar, I win I guess. If I don't and the G.A. keeps me from knowing about it, I lose. I see it as a 50/50 proposition. GA in place.....I need to do more work to find the under the radar can. GA eliminated, I get to crowd source my ebay searches. If pushed to take a position, I would slip to the side of eliminating the GA.....but again.....I really don't care.
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

idigrust wrote:no. As I stated in the original thread sometime back, show me the $1000.00 can someone got for $5.00 bucks and I'll change my mind.
I got one....not sure if it's $1000.....but I got it for WAY less than it would have gone for if it was widely publicized. Very very very common looking can.....however I think it turned out to be the only one known. Pabst OI with the Blue Ribbon words on the front.....however it's WF. Not documented anywhere so I think most didn't even know to look for it:
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
chicagocans
Rust Master
Rust Master
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by chicagocans »

Hmm, let me think about it . . . NO.
Canadacan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Post by Canadacan »

I say no to any censorship on posting live auctions. The whole agreement was or is ridiculous and counter productive anyways... IMHO, I have lost many cans because they went beyond my budget.. not because they were posted here!, I may be talking more soda can related but it's the same principle.
This site is about sharing information!...let it flow!
Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

josh wrote:No, it's stupid. I wouldn't consider abiding by anything so pathetic.
I'm with this guy.
Last edited by Longopener on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had masked word in post
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

josh wrote:No, it's stupid. I wouldn't consider abiding by anything so pathetic.
Josh, if you weren't so vague we could tell which side you were leaning. As the first person to every show we rely heavily on your advanced scouting and foresight. :shock: :smt005 :smt023 ....
Last edited by Longopener on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Masking swear words
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
Flat_Top
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 721
BCCA Number: 15216
eBay name: beer-1
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Flat_Top »

No!!!
Chuck
Michigan Cans wanted
Sell your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island!
ILLINICANS
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 774
BCCA Number: 1899
eBay name: illinicans
Year Started Collecting: 1968
Zodiac:

Post by ILLINICANS »

OMG !! I agree with Josh. Also, if it wasn't for someone posting the Rosalie, I wouldn't have seen it and the seller would have made considerably less. My seach parameters are FLAT TOP BEER CANS and it didn't show up there. These heads-up are a perk, plain and simple.
kamsquared
RB Supply Organizer
RB Supply Organizer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 861
BCCA Number: 31804
eBay name: kamsquared
Year Started Collecting: 1980
Zodiac:
Finland

Post by kamsquared »

I second this opinion and will add the "k" in place of the "#" in honor of Josh!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Longopener on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had fuc#ing in the post
Kamsquared
"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *Lite* beer?"
Biff Tannen (Back To The Future)
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Coneheads comment : "This cone is very common with the exception of when it is IRTP. The IRTP variation is extremely rare and maybe 6 to 8 are known to exist"

Conehead Jim, Curious where you got the 6-8 figure. Can you account for these. Last I knew 3 were known to exist, maybe 4. Sweeperman Jim Blackenberry's Bavarians IRTP & Gene Judds can & Yours & the one pictured in the updated online USBC book project is all the same can. Who has the other 5-7? LEON.

P.S. Seems the person that started the agreement is absent from this post :smt017
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
CVforMe
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 1
Year Started Collecting: 1900
United States of America

Post by CVforMe »

:smt023
Last edited by Longopener on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had fuc#ing in the post
===U.S.A.=== Pre-WWII outdoor beer signs ===U.S.A.===
===U.S.A.===. 1930-1950s ball tap knobs. ===U.S.A.===
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

Leon wrote:Conehead Jim, Curious where you got the 6-8 figure. Can you account for these. Last I knew 3 were known to exist, maybe 4. Sweeperman Jim Blackenberry's Bavarians IRTP & Gene Judds can & Yours & the one pictured in the updated online USBC book project is all the same can. Who has the other 5-7? LEON.
Leon,
I can not account for the 6-8 figure. It is just the number that sticks in my head from past conversations with collectors......so maybe the figure should be lower than I am thinking?

Jim
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
United States of America

Post by Leon »

3 is the number that sticks in my head from a few years ago. Possibly 4th surfaced after that. The recent ebay can could could be #5 if not already counted before. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
baartz
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 991
BCCA Number: 22344
eBay name: NVchristian
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by baartz »

NO! Gentlemen help other members find cans they are looking for. I like to know when a special can shows up for auction.
Brian Artzberger #22344
http://www.artzberger.com/BeerCans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Collector of 12 oz or smaller US cans
Servant of Jesus, John 3:16, 14:6
Lovegun
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 699
BCCA Number: 3197
eBay name: Lovegun1959
Year Started Collecting: 1936
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Lovegun »

What happened to all those in favor when all this brew ha ha started? :smt017

Anyways, I still don't really care either way. After all, this is my unwind spot after working 10 hours a day with adults who would love to be able to function and do things like most of us can.
Greg Gromosiak-RB#699 B.C.C.A.#3197
Former Rusty Bunch President, Current Editor, Miami Valley Guzzelette
scrabble1959@yahoo.com

Turning dirt since 1972

Looking for either Red Top "Old Cincinnati" Beer O.I.!!!!
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
Year Started Collecting: 1972
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Its called common courtesy.....If some blabbermouth points out that Pabst withdrawn free , Rand maybe never get that can or pays 5X 10X or 20Xs more

I define blabbermouth as someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight and has no interest in the can

Cap-sealed found a Propeller can on ebay, it was an unknown variant from Oakland...it was hard to see the mandatory, again if some blabbermouth points it out and makes a post on here............that can may go into four figures instead of the $50 he paid, the only winner is the seller

Of course the GA is unenforced but tell me again why uncommon variants of common cans need to be discussed BEFORE the end of auction?

Discuss away AFTER the end of auction and then everyone will have the knowledge to search for it again if and when it shows up on ebay

The newbie or curious collector could always PM someone for advice (start with any of the board moderators) or ask one of our dealer sponsors

I'm talking about under the radar cans ( aka sleeper cans or variants) and not the obvious wall find indoor OI or high profile ( no pun intended) can that shows up

out

Dan
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Daev Larrazolo
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 804
BCCA Number: 31724
eBay name: HEYBLAMEITONRIO
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Daev Larrazolo »

Just don't bid on the Pacific NW stuff or the Mule Head can in Keith's auction and all will be goog.
WANT ANY MONTANA BREWERIANA
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

I think CMD brings up a really good point about the "Gentleman's Agreement".

Buy discussing these auctions before close, it gives a huge advantage to the "deep pockets" big guy that may not really know rare variations and can virtually shut the little guy.

The real ace in the hole for the little guy is knowledge. So discussion after auction close can then benefit everyone.

Jim
steve36333
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by steve36333 »

NO. I've got suckered into these gentlemen agreements only to have another member swoop
In on the seller and offer him 20 bucks more after the auction was over.
it's Promote it and win it at any cost. I learned the hard way many times on this topic. :smt023
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”